Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Armitage vs. Journal of Luke Kirby Round 2 Heat 120

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 April, 2022, 06:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Southstreeter

Luke Kirby though I never felt it satisfactorily wrapped things up. It just sort of stopped. I wanted to like Armitage, but to be honest I found the stories a bit dull.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 April, 2022, 10:43:47 AM
Not to mention he's been an old man for over thirty years, now!

That's occurred to me too. If anything he looks younger and fresher than ever these days. Hershey syndrome I suppose.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 April, 2022, 05:31:51 AM

That's occurred to me too. If anything he looks younger and fresher than ever these days.

And now we're the old men.
What a lark.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Southstreeter on 28 April, 2022, 06:54:29 PMLuke Kirby though I never felt it satisfactorily wrapped things up. It just sort of stopped.
I always felt like the strip where he [spoiler]got cornered and overcame his rage to not destroy that bully[/spoiler] felt like a good end point. It showed that he [spoiler]had overcome the temptation to go down the same route as his uncle[/spoiler]. Not that there couldn't have been more, but it felt like a reasonable place to end the strip. (In a sense, it's also slightly odd there wasn't more – wasn't McKenzie still writing after Luke Kirby ended?)

Southstreeter

I always thought LK was meant to end with Luke as an adult looking back on his life. It always had a 'Wonder Years' vibe.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 April, 2022, 08:46:26 AM

That's occurred to me too. If anything he looks younger and fresher than ever these days.

What a lark.

Ain't that the truth.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 April, 2022, 10:45:35 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 29 April, 2022, 08:46:26 AM

What a lark.

Ain't that the truth.

Yep! Won't be long now, before scenes like in the link below are common amongst this forum's membership.

:)

https://www.facebook.com/PsychoticDelusions1/posts/995768317902689

Colin YNWA

I thought this one would be more of a tussle, but while both are pulling the votes it seems the result will be going only one way. I'll confirm that tomorrow so get those votes in today.

sintec

Luke Kirby is by far the more consistent of the two strips. Armitage has it's moments but it has just as many misses.

Richard

The first two series of Luke Kirby were very good, and if it had maintained that level of quality I'd be voting for it, but I thought it went downhill after that, and I remember being bored by it.

Armitage is almost always good. I like how it's premise is not just "what if Judge Dredd was British?", but it's central character is completely different to Dredd, and Brit-Cit is not just Mega-City 1 but smaller, rather it is quite a different society. It has a Justice Dept but it's not all-powerful like in MC1; there's a balance of power between the judges and organised crime.

I agree that Armitage should be retired or dead by now, but it's not really any different from Dredd's situation.

Armitage

Blue Cactus

I like Armitage as a character but the actual stories aren't all gold. My favourites were the later stories with John Cooper on art, I thought the strip really settles in and found what it should have been doing all along there. Fleshing out the main characters, procedural stuff in corrupt brit-cit.

Luke Kirby is probably better although I know most of it from the graphic novel having missed it in the prog. So I don't feel much personal connection to it whereas I'm fond of Armitage, and Steel, who I think is one of the great supporting characters.

Tough call but Luke Kirby. Must mention, some terrific art on that series - Ridgeway and Parkhouse. Would love to see them back in the prog actually.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Not the fight I was expecting. Not because I don't think Luke Kirby isn't great and held in high regard - though that does seem to diminish as the series goes on. No Rather as I thought Armitage was held in higher regard. I need to re-read the early stories as I've not done so for sometime, but it will be interesting to see if they hold up. Still Luke Kirby is a second tier classic and so it didn't take any magic to predict that

Journal of Luke Kirby

will have a spell in Round 3.