Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Leatherjack vs. Hope Round 3 Heat 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 May, 2022, 06:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well a very significant week in the tournament as we enter Round 3 after the seemingly unending Round 2. We're down to the last 128 thrills and from here the quality will step up, the choices start to get harder. But the lovely thing about this round is there is still plenty of room for mis-matches...

...not this first tie however as we get two fantastic thrills coming head to head; exemplifying some of the really tough decisions that will need to be made. Both of these had byes in Round 1 and have experienced tricky ties in Round 2, Leatherjack beating another classic self contained story Chiaroscuro; Hope having to take down Young Death. For one this will be a contest too tough...

Leatherjack - more info

Vs

Hope - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 12th May and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

Huey2

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

I'm a big fan of Hope but for me Smith and Marshall's epic edges it.

Leatherjack.

IndigoPrime

Hmm. I enjoyed Leatherjack when I re-read it in the UC. It's a solid piece of Smith weirdness, with a unique premise, packed full of ideas. Hope is also a great thrill, with some properly creepy horror. The former is arguably a better read in the Prog, because Hope only really clicked for me when I read it in collected form. But it did click to the point I bought the trades. It's almost a coin flip, but I think Hope just wins out for me.

Blue Cactus

Aaron A Aardvark

I'd like to join the fun now, if that's OK with everyone?

Hope

For general high quality. One of the most striking recent thrills that's been a bit overshadowed by Brink and The Out. I enjoyed re-reading it. Leatherjack's fine but unmemorable.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

AlexF

In its third series, Hope is in danger of becoming a bit same-y, but it's a Very Good series so I don't mind that sameness, especially Broxton's ability to recreate a really grubby version of 1940s/50s Hollywood, celebrity cameos and all. (I see you, David Niven and Boris Karloff and Ian 'James Whale' McKellan).

Leatherjack had some delicious ideas and characters but was held back by, for me, some rather pedestrian art and colouring. (Marshall's character design work on the series, mind, is super great). Is it wrong that I'm also a bit annoyed with Leatherjack for knocking out Chiaroscuro, one of my fave horror series?

Anyway, I'm with Hope...

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

Hope... I never see scissor-shaped spaceships ever again.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++