Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - The Dead vs. Lobster Random Round 3 Heat 12

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 May, 2022, 06:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 May, 2022, 03:26:42 PM
I never really got along with Lobster Random - it's too self aware. That was the zeitgeist of the time, I suppose - but a writer continually waving at the audience and pointing out the artifice is just too indulgent to be enjoyed on its own merits. Dirty Frank teeters on the edge of that trap and usually manages not to fall in.

The Dead was also an odd fish, but a Belardinelli-shaped odd fish.

Yeah this ^^^.

So The Dead.

maryanddavid

I loved a lot of Spurriers work for 2000, but never got LR.  I really liked the Vort until that reveal. So its The Dead, good Milligan script with Massimos last great 2000 AD work, underrated TBH.

BPP

Lobster Random

Who needs to come back and finish The Vort....
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 18 May, 2022, 08:04:40 AM
Lobster Random

Who needs to come back and finish The Vort....

Yes, yes he does. One of the great unfinished stories. We need to go to our LCS hide all the Spurrier books so his transatlantic acareer fails and he has to come grovelling back to Tharg to finish it!

JayzusB.Christ

Though the Spurious one is a fine writer, I was never a fan of Lobster.  I did like The Dead though; it really creeped me out as a kid.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quite the tussle here I thought it was going the way of The Dead but looking quickly through maybe Lobster Random is doing better than I thought? Last day votes could decide this one go pop your vote in today if you haven't yet.

IndigoPrime

I realise Lobster Random is divisive and it is quite smug and sure of itself. But that's OK. It's not like the entire comic is like that, and it works in an anthology. But I also found it a solid read in the absurdly oversized UC volume. Even the ending didn't bother me. It felt a bit like what Furman does with Transformers – there's always a bigger threat, and perhaps one day we'll see that battle; if not, whatever.

The Dead, though... that's something beautiful and special. It wins it for me here on that basis, and I still find it staggering that, as far as we know, it won't be a part of the UC (not least since Rebellion presumably has it in the archives, what with it being in the old Extreme Editions).

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 May, 2022, 08:54:07 AM
I still find it staggering that, as far as we know, [The Dead] won't be a part of the UC (not least since Rebellion presumably has it in the archives, what with it being in the old Extreme Editions).

But it's such an odd fit! If you're not going to do a Peter Milligan volume (and it seems fairly certain by this point that they aren't) then what on earth do you collect it with?
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Well, exactly. Why not have a Peter Milligan volume? (Again, I suspect it's down to what exists as immediately available material more than anything. Or at least, I'd hope so. Otherwise, Mean Arena? Really?)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 May, 2022, 10:03:18 AM
Well, exactly. Why not have a Peter Milligan volume? (Again, I suspect it's down to what exists as immediately available material more than anything. Or at least, I'd hope so. Otherwise, Mean Arena? Really?)

Well at the risk of derailing the thread, yes, they totally should have done. Hoover up all those little Milligan oddities that aren't going to get reprinted anywhere else (Shadows, Freaks, Faces, Counterfeit Girl, round it out with some Bix Barton or Future Shocks).
@jamesfeistdraws

Richard

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

The Dead is kickin' ass in this tournement. Its not had easy draws and its more than holding its own. I'm a little surprised Lobster Random didn't make this closer. Its a thrill I adore and was certianly bold and different. Folks have spoken however and the weird vibes of

The Dead

have out bizarred Lobster and will see it stepping into the other side of Round 4.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd