Main Menu

Prog 2194 - Smokin’ Bacon!

Started by Magnetica, 08 August, 2020, 06:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

The compliment isn't the problem; the prefix "lady" is. See also lady doctor, female lawyer, etc. She's a bloody good writer; her genetalia are not relevant to her evident skills.

broodblik

I do not think any malice was attended by his compliment. He liked the story he wants more it and that is how I see it
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

judgeurko

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 12 August, 2020, 12:14:25 PM
The compliment isn't the problem; the prefix "lady" is. See also lady doctor, female lawyer, etc. She's a bloody good writer; her genetalia are not relevant to her evident skills.
Exactly. & why did they not call Dan Abnett a fine man writer?
Maybe just call the writer of Full Tilt Boogie by her name? Alex De Campi

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Biggest surprise for me this week is the placing of Dredd firmly within the Marvel Universe, what with mention of [spoiler]Latveria- Doctor Doom's home nation.
[/spoiler]. Typo, or imminent mega cross-over to end all cross-overs? The story has been a bit tepid so far, Shak9 aside, but this week it went pleasingly full-on and nuts.

The Out went to a whole new level- I read it open mouthed and gasping. I know it's not the most original of twists within scifi, but to see it done so perfectly... I cannot even begin to say how much I love this series.

I also love Sinister Dexter, and this was a good one. Finally Finny comes clean and plotlines that have been simmering for years hopefully begin to come together. Blissful.

FTB was very good- I dont think it quite lived up to its potential, but I'd very much like to see more. Unfortunately, the best element, Cat, seems too close to the cat from Saga. I dunno. But, yes, more please.

The Order was again baffling. But there were zombies at the end, so hopefully things will pick up.

Didnt like the cover, after a few weeks of thrill packed fronts. But on the whole, good prog.

SBT

paddykafka

Quote from: judgeurko on 12 August, 2020, 12:21:33 PM

Fair enough. But taking both yer respective logic to its obvious conclusion, if say, for example, Joe Biden wins the forthcoming election in the U.S.A, and Feminists, Women's Rights Groups, Black activists or, frankly, anyone with a decent bone in their body - quite rightly, in my view - celebrate and complement Kamela Harris for her achievement in becoming the first black woman to be Vice-President of the United States, will you hold them to the same criticism and scrutiny? Or will that only hold true if they - shock! horror! - happen to use the terms 'lady' or 'female'  in their enthusiastic tributes? (And if you took the time to google celebrated female doctors and lawyers throughout history, you would find any number of articles rightly praising the ground-breaking achievements of these ladies, in entering into and excelling in what were previously almost exclusively male-dominated roles.)

So instead of finding fault and nit-picking the language that 73North uses, in his obvious praise for Alex Di Campi's writing skills and success in her chosen field - in what is generally also a male-dominated industry - would it not simply be nicer - and far less churlish - to share his enthusiasm and admiration for her particular achievements?

Hopefully at some future point, one's gender will indeed have no bearing upon, or discrimination against, one's equitable access to and success in their chosen career. But until then, I myself, like 73North, will rightly celebrate not just the clear the storytelling skills of women writers like Alex De Campi, but - from a purely personal point of view - also her achievement in doing so in what has, until very recently, been an area of entertainment and business mostly occupied by men.

paddykafka

PS: Sorry for the double post, but it just occurred to me that I have no idea what actual gender, the forum member 73North is, so my apologies if I incorrectly assumed that you were male.

And in relation to Kamela Harris herself, only time will tell how beneficial and benign her politics and actions will be if she does assume the role of Vice-President of the U.S.A. But it will be her success in achieving that distinction as a black lady - and against significant discrimination in terms of both her gender and the colour of her skin - that will be celebrated initially. What she does afterwards with the power that she has - should Biden be elected - is what will rightfully define her afterwards.

judgeurko

Quote from: paddykafka on 12 August, 2020, 11:42:01 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 12 August, 2020, 12:21:33 PM

Fair enough. But taking both yer respective logic to its obvious conclusion, if say, for example, Joe Biden wins the forthcoming election in the U.S.A, and Feminists, Women's Rights Groups, Black activists or, frankly, anyone with a decent bone in their body - quite rightly, in my view - celebrate and complement Kamela Harris for her achievement in becoming the first black woman to be Vice-President of the United States, will you hold them to the same criticism and scrutiny? Or will that only hold true if they - shock! horror! - happen to use the terms 'lady' or 'female'  in their enthusiastic tributes? (And if you took the time to google celebrated female doctors and lawyers throughout history, you would find any number of articles rightly praising the ground-breaking achievements of these ladies, in entering into and excelling in what were previously almost exclusively male-dominated roles.)

So instead of finding fault and nit-picking the language that 73North uses, in his obvious praise for Alex Di Campi's writing skills and success in her chosen field - in what is generally also a male-dominated industry - would it not simply be nicer - and far less churlish - to share his enthusiasm and admiration for her particular achievements?

Hopefully at some future point, one's gender will indeed have no bearing upon, or discrimination against, one's equitable access to and success in their chosen career. But until then, I myself, like 73North, will rightly celebrate not just the clear the storytelling skills of women writers like Alex De Campi, but - from a purely personal point of view - also her achievement in doing so in what has, until very recently, been an area of entertainment and business mostly occupied by men.
You can be enthusiastic & supportive of more female creators in 2000AD without referring to them as a "fine lady".

norton canes

Ridiculous. The Out takes the plaudits every week and the response of the fine human writer Dan Abnett is to up his game even further by basically writing the best instalment of any story in the prog ever. No wonder parts of his body are exploding. Tharg, you might want to consider building some thrill buffers for this guy.

The only downside of such an unprecedented thrill-surge is that it makes his other contribution to this week's prog seem rather underwhelming. It feel like we only just had the last catch-up instalment of SinDex and here we are again being reminded of the plot. I guess we have to get used to the strip being forever the mortar in Tharg's Wall of Thrills.

Decent conclusion to Full Tilt Boogie, a quirky strip that if anything hasn't been quite eccentric enough. I wonder if, following future all ages issues, Tharg wants to have at least one breakout story at any time running in the regular prog? 

This chapter of The Out looks destined to end on a cliffhanger. Lovely Burns cover but I'm not sure what's going on with the big white stripe.

Oh yeah, and End Of Days. I knew I forgot something. Only four episodes left - how many to resolve the Sov situation, and how many for Death..? 

Richard

QuoteI'm not sure what's going on with the big white stripe.

It's where the logo and barcode go. Also it looks quite striking.

Magnetica

With regard to break out series - we have had 3 new series this year, and ok only one has come from the Regened Prog, but all three have been excellent. So maybe the question should be, should we have more new stories?

judgeurko

Quote from: norton canes on 13 August, 2020, 12:05:52 PM

Oh yeah, and End Of Days. I knew I forgot something. Only four episodes left - how many to resolve the Sov situation, and how many for Death..?
I'm guessing there will be a twist & Dredd will be death. Or maybe there will be another long forgotten character making a return? Hap Hazzard?

dweezil2

Quote from: judgeurko on 13 August, 2020, 02:05:41 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 13 August, 2020, 12:05:52 PM

I'm guessing there will be a twist & Dredd will be death. Or maybe there will be another long forgotten character making a return? Hap Hazzard?

Really hoping that the current Dredd story paves the way for the obvious Judge Dredd Vs Big Dave crossover event, if only for the opportunity to use the Gammon versus Lawman tag line!!!!   :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Professor Bear

Rob Williams' Dredd reminds me a lot of Mark Millar's Dredd, so all this supervillain stuff for the last few months I have taken in my stride.  Not every story has to be America.

I'm glad Tharg gave Full Tilt Boogie a spin, though I think it comes up against the problems that Western writers often encounter when replicating tropes from other cultures on a purely surface level, as FTB does with the magical senshi stuff and its sometimes overly-literal interpretation of Cowboy Bebop's themes (which were actually surprisingly nuanced takes on Western noir tropes).  It really feels more like a pastiche than a passion project, though the former has long gone down well with 2000ad readers.  It was good to see something outside the Tharg house style for a change.

As ever, Sinister Dexter continues to exist.  It is a story that has a beginning, middle and end, and which appears each week in 2000ad, a comic published in the UK by Rebellion, ostensibly a videogame publishing company which has diversified its investment portfolio in recent years and now maintains a large library of intellectual property.  The weather outside is fine today.

I really wanted to like The Order as it has so much going for it - alternate history team-ups between historical figures, giant robots, French robot armies complete with Luftwaffe, and even what seems to be the central "time train" McGuffin of Kamen Rider Den-o for some reason - but I would be completely and utterly lost if Tordelback didn't do that synopsis post when he did, and I think the writer knows this is an increasingly hard-to-follow story because he's reframed it latterly through the eyes of POV characters like Ben Franklin.  Fantastic art here and on the cover, as always, though I will say that I've been reading a lot of old Brit comics during lockdown and I really do miss seeing John Burns' strong linework.

The Out is probably my favorite thing in the prog.  Very Halo Jones-y vibe, and I spent a great deal of the early episodes worried that this was going to be yet another Trojan Horse series that turns out to be related to an established House Of Tharg property in its latter episodes (because quite frankly I don't think I could take yet another one of those), but thankfully we seem to be past the point where that could be convincingly pulled off now.  Great stuff.

An okay prog all around, but if I might wade in to the argument about gender a bit, I too was wary of employing men to write stories for 2000ad, as I assumed they'd just fill the comic with stories about football and tanks, but it hasn't been that bad.

ming

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 12 August, 2020, 12:28:09 PM
[/spoiler]. Typo, or imminent mega cross-over to end all cross-overs?

I think a previous episode had several attempts at spelling the Chuchki sea so it was probably a typo :P

The Prog has been solid for me lately (I've just had a periodic binge read of a short stack of Progs to catch up); highlights are definitely The Out and Full Tilt Boogie (which I had to go back to the initial airing in the Re-gene Prog to get me up to speed).