Main Menu

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Spoilers)

Started by Taryn Tailz, 16 April, 2017, 01:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Frankly, that's four from four for me this series. I've at worst liked all of the episodes so far, and Bill's pretty great too. If that continues, I hope she's a bridge rather than them doing the clean slate with the new Doctor.

And, yeah, pretty creepy in the way everything was done, not least the ending, where the [spoiler]mother effectively orders her son to die with her[/spoiler]. I wasn't even too miffed about the [spoiler]other students being 'rebuilt', given that 1) this is a show for kids, 2) it didn't really knock the impact of what had happened, 3) there's already been a LOT of death around Bill and that would have thrown her over the edge, and 4) it gave the Doctor a chance for an amusing 'back to the estate agent' quip[/spoiler].

Link Prime

Enjoying this series, comfortable couch & cuppa TV.

Nardole & Bill are far less annoying as companions than I imagined they would be (in fact I really like both of them) and Capaldi continues to cement his claim to Greatest Doctor of All Time.

Next Week: Dead Space 4.

IndigoPrime

The performances have worked out very well so far, I think. Capaldi's Doctor has the right balance between crotchety old git, caring about those around him, and a kind of intense fury for those that would hurt those under his protection. This beats his original throwaway stance for life (now, it's about pragmatism and the fact more people will die if he doesn't act quickly), and previous Doctors more or less thinking they're gods.

Bill's been great – a big surprise, given how terribly I thought she came across in the trailers. Nardole... I'm not a fan, but he's being used sparingly, which is good. I'd feared he'd be scooting about in every adventure, getting in the way as a kind of comic relief. But he works in very short bursts. Here's hoping it continues – for all Moffat's faults, it'd be good if he – and Capaldi – got to go out on a high.

Modern Panther

And how far into the season will they keep [spoiler]poor Missy[/spoiler] in that vault?

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Modern Panther on 07 May, 2017, 03:27:04 PM
And how far into the season will they keep [spoiler]poor Missy[/spoiler] in that vault?

This months Doctor Who Magazine suggests [spoiler] the vault will be opened half way through the series, rather than waiting until the finale. [/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

Liked it.

Bill makes an engaging foil (in no small part because of Mackie' s performance) and it there Gore makes for a good coupling.

Glad they ended it the way they did otherwise it would have been too grim!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

CrazyFoxMachine

This really has been the best Capaldi series so far and if it keeps this up (MAYBE) even the best Moffat series since his first. Bill is a solid and convincing companion - cocky sometimes but also relatably anxious. Capaldi is channeling T.Baker again in a really good way - equal parts reassuring and enigmatic. We need more Nardole - Matt Lucas is excellent and seems genuinely fed up with the Doctor's machinations (maybe accidentally echoing the viewership in some ways) which is refreshing. The vault storyline at the moment is nicely low-key - it's not "WHAT IS THE MYSTERY OF THE FORBIDDEN GIRL. WHO WILL CAUSE THE RISE OF THE FALL OF THE RISE OF THE DOCTOR?!?!". I mean yes it's clearly [spoiler]Missy[/spoiler] but Lady Geoffery last night speculated that [spoiler]David Bradley is supposedly in the last episode - what if he's keeping his original self prisoner?![/spoiler]. That's nice.

Knock Knock was solid - good spooky-meets-aliens thing - nice lightly characterized flatmates (LG pointed out they were already more engaging than the "Class" crew *shudder*) - amazing David Suchet - good effects (the [spoiler]woodmother[/spoiler] genuinely freaked me out). The only slight miss was the [spoiler]miracle-pullchord-ressurrection of the kids[/spoiler] which is fair enough on a let's-not-be-total-dicks level but felt illogical.

BUT THEN WHO LISTENS TO FANS WHEN THEY'RE BEING MOSTLY POSITIVE, EH? ;)

DrRocka

Gotta add my voice to the ones enjoying this series - I've thought the whole show was up it's own backside ever since Moffat took over, but everything since (& including) the fun superhero Christmas special has been wonderful. It makes sense that it's [spoiler]missy[/spoiler] in the vault, possibly being protected from [spoiler]john sim's Master[/spoiler], but I think it would be anticlimactic given how recently we last saw that character.

There've a lot of Grandfather references though - possibly reminding us of a (very) early doctor and his "assistant"?
Never ever bloody anything ever

Jim_Campbell

Enjoying the hell out of this series so far.  Pretty much what I wanted from Capaldi's Doctor from the start -- I'll be very sorry to see him go. More like 'proper' Who than anything we've had for years.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Andy Lambert

Yeah, it's been a good run of episodes so far, with only "Knock Knock" being a bit underwhelming. It's sadly ironic that Capaldi's current portrayal of the Doctor is much more satisfying and "Doctory" in his final year. I think we need a good, proper baddie now though.

Andy Lambert

Quote from: von Boom on 24 April, 2017, 04:37:13 PM

Pilot was a snore and they had to hit us over the head to tell us, 'Hey, look, Bill's gay. Aren't we hep?'

Rose and Martha were infatuated with the Doctor, Amy and Rory loved each other and got married, Clara had a relationship with Danny.

It's revealed Bill is gay and you're being 'hit over the head' with it?

Seriously...?

Hawkmumbler

Sounds like a typical straight persons reaction to gay folks in there TV shows.

Nothing new, frustratingly common.

Andy Lambert

Nothing new, agreed - still needs to be challenged.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 30 April, 2017, 09:02:22 PM
I figured being born in the middle East Jesus was neither black or white, although some people seem to define black as 'not white'.
I've always thought the most convincing depictions of Jesus are from: a) Life of Brian and b) Chester Brown.

CrazyFoxMachine

Wait... Richmond is Jesus?

I KNEW IT  :o