Main Menu

Prog 2168 - Master at arms!

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 February, 2020, 09:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Gonna have to put me in the 'slightly disappointed' camp re. Dredd, I'm afraid. I thought this was going to build on the time travel aspect and conclude with some satisfying Steven Moffat-esque timey-wimey paradox thing but that whole aspect was jettisoned. Still, hoping we see more of the Future Crimes Unit and there ongoing feud with Psi Div.

Feel a tiny bit guilty about criticizing Blink last week, this was a quality installment. Looking forward to a nice juicy denouement next prog. Proteus Vex... gah, I don't know. On the one hand I'm warming to the protagonists as they get some character development, but the rather mundane space-opera plot isn't grabbing me at all. It needs to be much more weird! Zaucer of Zilk as I've said before just isn't my Qup of Qea. Feral & Foe on the other hand continues to be glorious, cannot fault it.

norton canes

Brink

Clearly thinking too much about Steven Moffat

Woolly

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 February, 2020, 08:57:15 PM
Great proggage, just great. Primary thought: Lynch's art coloured by Boswell is an absolute joy

Good god yes! Lynch and Boswell work so well together, more please Tharg!

Leigh S

Can I say I really like the Lawmaster design on the cover?  A good mix of classic and Willsher! That would work well for the Warlord games

Magnetica

Quote from: norton canes on 13 February, 2020, 10:21:31 AM
Gonna have to put me in the 'slightly disappointed' camp re. Dredd, I'm afraid. I thought this was going to build on the time travel aspect and conclude with some satisfying Steven Moffat-esque timey-wimey paradox thing but that whole aspect was jettisoned. Still, hoping we see more of the Future Crimes Unit and there ongoing feud with Psi Div.

Feel a tiny bit guilty about criticizing Blink last week, this was a quality installment. Looking forward to a nice juicy denouement next prog. Proteus Vex... gah, I don't know. On the one hand I'm warming to the protagonists as they get some character development, but the rather mundane space-opera plot isn't grabbing me at all. It needs to be much more weird! Zaucer of Zilk as I've said before just isn't my Qup of Qea. Feral & Foe on the other hand continues to be glorious, cannot fault it.

So what you are saying, if I have got this right is...Zaucer of Zilk is too weird, and Proteus Vex isn't weird enough?  :D

norton canes

Yes. I mean, no. Er... that is, I'm not really keen on Zaucer's psychedelic shade of weird; but I do think Proteus Vex needs something a bit more unconventional, more outrĂ© perhaps, than the space war saga type stuff it's currently built around. Apologies if my sketchily-expressed opinions on the two strips seemed mutually incompatible  :)

TordelBack

I see where Norton is coming from: Vex is a fairly straightforward space-opera plot dressed-up in weird and wonderful visuals, while Zaucer's plotting is unconventional to a fault but depends quite a lot on a standardised '60s psychedelic palette.

Happily I think both mixes work well.

Trout

I really enjoyed that Dredd story. Nice, compact ending. We need more like this.

TordelBack

I liked it too, and not just because it looked fabulous: it was a good idea neatly told. Interesting that consensus seems to be that Kill Bloopy was too long and Future Crimes was too short. Who'd want to write Dredd, eh.

Tomwe

I've only just realised after reading the covers uncovered post that the building on the cover has 2000AD written on it.
It's dynamic but a tad too subtle!

Fungus

Quote from: Tomwe on 24 February, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
I've only just realised after reading the covers uncovered post that the building on the cover has 2000AD written on it.
It's dynamic but a tad too subtle!

Dynamic but not a favourite cover. Also missed the building's '2000AD', perhaps the aim was be experimental and dispense with the main logo(s) (or however you want to term the title(s), there are threads dedicated to that kind of thing...) this time. I felt there was an 'MC' trying to get out, reading in another direction, but without being sure.

If you catch sight of the building's '2000AD' then that's 3 references on the cover - too many...