Main Menu

Prog 1510- Birth of a Nation

Started by ukdane, 16 October, 2006, 12:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

John Higgins cover. John Higins, is one of those artists, that I've never been able to decide if I like or not. I think, I prefer his painted work to his lineart, having said that, I'm not sure this cover does anything special for me.

This weeks prog feels heavier than normal, and a quick flick through shows that there are
7 Strips this week... yup 7!
(ok, I've included Droid Life, and a future short)- although there don't appear to be more pages. (How much does thrill-power weigh, anyway!)

86ers finishes this week. Whilst I've not read it yet, I'd just like to say that I think PJs artwork improves with every issue that his work appears in.

More later...
Cheers

-Daney

COMMANDO FORCES

I think Droid Life was the best strip this week.
Hilarious.

DavidXBrunt

What an outrageously good prog. I really can't remember the last time the Prog was this strong or this thrilling. Great stuff.

U thunk I like the cover, it's suitably old school for a story like this but the colour range is a bit meh. Brighter colours and greater disctinction between the sections might not have been so subtle but it might have been more attractive.

Droid Life is back. Yay. The punchline was obvious from the start but that just makes it funnier. Hooray.

Dredd - Getting very interesting. It's getting into it's stride and I wonder wether this weeks revelations are a red herring or mean we have major surprises about the bloodline in the offing.

Loving Chiarascuro. Some of the enigmatic comments from earlier on in the run are clarified and the mystery deepens. I've always enjoyed Si's scripts but prefered his straighter stories to his humourous tales. This one is his best yet.

86ers has won me over with this second run. An interesting character and the revelation at the end will mean a lot to long term readers. Very interesting. Hope it's back soon.

Harry Kipling. More of the same. Good fun, pertty pictures.

Future Shorts. Great stuff. Ade isn't used enough, nor is this format. Really appreciate these little tales.

Sin Dex ends the prog on a high. The past tales are tied together and the clarifications and explanations are out of the way. The cliff hanger sets up a confrontation I've been waiting for for months now.

Really...Great stuff. And Dante is back next week. And Robo Hunter is in the queue. Simon Fraser and Ian Gibson have been gone from the prog for far too long. Seriously good prog.

ukdane

+++SPOILERS!+++Dredd: Did anyone else immediately think that Rico might not have come from Eustace Fargo, but instead from Ephram Fargo, thus meaning that the Dredd/Fargo bloodline is clean (and also erradicating a bit of Mills history)+++SPOILER END+++
Cheers

-Daney

Steve Green

Heh, it reminded me of a quote from Karl Pilkington about identical twins

"you always get a little snidey one"

Didn't Fargo have a sister mentioned in the Cal Tapes as well?

Never trust a small town museum.

Fantastic Dredd BTW.

- Steve

DavidXBrunt

I did...but am now wondering if we were MEANT to jump to that conclusion...because John Wagner is cleverer and sneakier than we are.

Matt Timson

Nice to see an old face in the 86ers...
Pffft...

Byron Virgo

I always wondered what happened to *him* too...

Really makes me want to read the next series of The 86ers quite a bit as well.

Max Kon

dane: i was thinking the other way around myself

nick-is-at-home

I liked the cover, and the rest. A packed prog and one-up on the last. The THRILL POWER just keeps going out of control!

nofuture

The Amstor Computer

Bdoink!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/1510.jpg">

McNulty

And now, if I may, my comments...

Dredd: I don't know if I'm being dense but the cover doesn't appear to have anything to do with this week's episode. It's nice though...
I never knew that Fargo had a twin brother. I knew about the sister, but she isn't getting a mention in the doctored history either. Logan's alright - the heartshot bullet ricocheted off his badge.

Droid Life: Ha, ha.

Chiaroscuro: I originally thought it was watching the film that was turning the reporter into a jerk, but it seems that his problems started a lot earlier in his life. I'm still not sure what to make of this story - it is a pycho murderer or is there something more supernatural behind this?

The 86ers: I always believed that Colonel Kovert was a much underused character in the original Rogue Trooper stories. When he was resurrected for the Rogue Trooper game, I was surprised. And now I am surprised again.

Harry Kipling: I'm enjoying this story, although at times it can be a little hard to follow. But with a patriotic zombie Godling-Killer as the main character, you can hardly suppose its going to be punting down the Thames all the time.

Future Shorts: If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

Sin/Dex: A lot of this episode was explaining to Kal who his new boss is. Trouble is, we already knew all this. It really could have been summed up in a couple of pages.

All in all, Dredd's the best thing in this prog.

JOE SOAP

>I never knew that Fargo had a twin brother.

Well no one else did either 'till Wagner told us.

Trout

AAAAAAAGGGGGGH!

SPOILERS

AN EVIL TWIN? WHAT THE HELL?

Did anyone guess that? And why does it work so well? It should be a crap idea!

I'm loving Origins. It's masterful stuff.

Nice to see Higgins back, too. I recognised it right away, and was very pleased to see it.

Will read the rest of the prog after work.

- Trout