Main Menu

Ideas for Rebellion Games...

Started by LARF, 08 June, 2004, 11:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixmo

Okeydokey then. Rogue should be a third person sneak 'em up. Hidey, hidey, slicey, Norty. The biochips will explain all the extra stuff you can do in these kind of games, auto-aim, auto-deployment of countermeasures, sensing people about to come around a corner etc.

I still like the Nu-Earth setting for a RTS (3d spinorama vision, of course!). Maybe do a Homeworld knockoff for the Durham Red space battles?

The Amstor Computer

Gordon, you forgot Mission C - write ludicrous fantasy boardroom scenarios and post them to a public newsgroup:

"Time Warner:

70-90% profits? Plus a 50% share in future film, game, and merchandise earnings? That's an attractive proposition. We estimate that to be
revenue of $750,000 to $1,000,000 per year, pre-tax. Okay, Rebellion, we have a deal."

:-D

Matt Timson

*Months* of biting my tongue- and that's what finally pushed me over the edge...

;)
Pffft...

Wils

I always fancied the idea of a squad-based strategy game a-la X-Com

That kind of game format would be excellent for a Ro-Busters squad-based game.

At the start of every mission, you pick your team and choose what equipment they should take with them.

swavesey

whoops. I meant to say - did anyone used to play that C64 dredd game. It was so badly explained, I had no idea what was going on. I used to get stuck in the undercity forever until it crashed out.

The Amstor Computer

I don't think Rogue's really ideal for a stealth game, either - and the whole stealth sub-genre is getting pretty tired now, anyway.

GordonR

I bought Splinter Cell platiunum edition a few months ago, and it bored the crap out of me.

Never mind all this sneaking about stuff, give me something - preferably lots of somethings - to kill!

I've played the very early Rogue demo.  Highlights so far was sneaking up and ripping out the Norts' air-tubes and watching them scream and writhe in agony as they choked to death on the poison atmosphere.  Now that's what I call proper Nu earth warfare!

Satanist

An Ace Garp game in the style of Elite, now that would be the mutts nuts
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

W. R. Logan

Or Mission C) An extra bonus level in a Cluedo stylee. You are the one that cannot be named without fear of invoking elemental dark forces against you and have to work out the real name of your arch Nemesis the person who keeps insulting you and where there headquarters are. Its not a difficult level as you soon realise that every choice you have is to select Gordon Rennie, In The Pub, with a Laptop.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

IndigoPrime

Which one - the dire Melbourne House game (1985) or the rubbish Virgin one (1990ish)?

IIRC, every single 1980s 2000 AD-related game was piss-poor, with the possible exception of the Nemesis game, which at least had decent music on the C64, and some average gameplay. I suppose that isometric Rogue Trooper game wasn't entirely awful either, but that Slaine game - urk.

The Amstor Computer

The iso Rogue game was pretty good, actually. I've got it on my laptop somewhere, and it gets booted up every now & then. The Rogue and Nort sprites are surprisingly good, and the biochip chatter, while repetitive, is true to the original GFD strips & adds to the atmosphere of the game.

LARF

Crickey, you go away for a day and your post has hit forty!

GTA: Mega City is a fantastic idea and I think Rebellion should team up with RockStar and produce one.

Should we put it to a vote?

sixmo

Maybe some games are already quite moddable, so we could put our own half-assed version together? Did anyone ever play the Dredd Half Life mod? Very good, it also had the mighty Disintegrator, which would leave a pair of smoking boots. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more of this kind of craziness in the real Dredd game.

GTA Meg Style would be really good, but as the real GTA is based on causing mayhem, how would this be adapted so you fight on the side of the law? Or maybe you just run around as a perp? Someone (possibly Scojo?) wrote a huge description of how a GTA Dredd game would work, and how he was the only one who could possibly make it work, and how people were fools for not throwing money in his direction to get the game made. The only problem was that it was possibly the *most* insanely ambitious game ever devised, to the point that even the most unhinged "go on take 8 years to develop a flight sim that only 500 people will buy" game development company would have laughed at him. Ya gotta have a good initial framework for a game and then build up and add on all the cool extra stuff. Even the GTA series started as a top down, sprite based thing (lots of fun and good underlying basic idea). It was really only as the game developed that they added all the other great stuff in (3d world, beating little old ladies to death with a baseball bat, etc.). You can't start off with: "Well you have the moon on a stick, and then..."

Scottiepunk

Did anyone ever play the Dredd Half Life mod?

Where can I get that from?

swavesey

It was mastertronic, so we must be talking late 80's. There was a cool heat seeker and a mcmahon cover. Damn it sucked.

Agree with Gordon about stealth games. They're so boring, and controls are always way too complicated. Deus ex, splinter cell, manhunt - all poop.