Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

Doreen Mantle, best known as Mrs Warboys in One Foot In The Grave.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

rogue69

Patricia Bredin, U.K.'s first Eurovision entrant, aged 88

sheridan

Jim_Campbell

Of note to (I imagine) pretty much no one on here but me, but...

After a "short illness", Peter 'West' Haag, bassist with ludicrously entertaining German metal act Hämatom, as well as several other bands (including the excellent goth rockers Ewighiem.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

Quote from: sheridan on 17 August, 2023, 10:14:57 AMMichael Parkinson, 88, broadcaster
I guess the wounds inflicted by Emu finally caught up with him.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Hawkmumbler

Parkinson passed away decades ago, there has been only Pipes since that night in 1992...

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 August, 2023, 11:44:21 AMParkinson passed away decades ago, there has been only Pipes since that night in 1992...

You didn't believe that story about Mother Seddons, did you?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 August, 2023, 11:54:20 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 August, 2023, 11:44:21 AMParkinson passed away decades ago, there has been only Pipes since that night in 1992...

You didn't believe that story about Mother Seddons, did you?
It's an incredibly interesting instance of fiction becoming a sort of twisted reality by way of how many people where bought into the charade, which I do have to give absolute credit to Parkinson and co. for playing nearly the whole thing with a straight face.
Actual 'event' TV which genuine legacy impact, one night that fooled a nation even if for just a moment, or had them double guessing.

Barrington Boots

Agree with all of that. Even in retrospect the whole thing is really, really interesting in how it fooled everyone and Parkinson and Sarah Greene are so good in it. Landmark television history imo.
Not sure I've ever heard anything bad about Parky, RIP.

Something Fishy

Ghostwatch was so memorable.

Parky was marvelous.  RIP.

Daveycandlish

Peter Vaughan-Clarke, who played Stephen in the 70's Tomorrow People died this month and it seems to have sneaked under everybody's radar. He was 66.
I feel a re-watch coming on.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Le Fink

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 08 August, 2023, 09:02:07 AMThe influential William Friedkin, Director of The Exorcist and The French Connection. Terrific legacy of work.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/william-friedkin-remembered-exorcist-ellen-burstyn-1235558010/
William Friedkin's 'To Live and Die in L.A' is on Film4 tonight. Will have a watch - not seen it before. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090180/

rogue69

Barrington Boots

Read on at the weekend about the passing of Eduardo Vaño Ibarra who was one half of the comic artist known as Vanyo.

I'd forgotten he'd drawn for the Prog until I read the article below because I associate him so much with Battle where he drew Action Force and later Storm Force, which I'd literally been reading an hour or so before I heard he'd passed away. As a kid I was mesmerised by his Action Force work - somehow grittier and more kinetic than John Cooper, who I also adored. Where Cooper's figures were often square jawed and tough looking, Vanyo's Cobra villains often looked half-crazed and on the edge of violence or mania. I'll be reading some later today - School for Snakes is a personal favourite, and maybe a bit of Wolfie Smith if I can dig it out!

https://downthetubes.net/comic-creator-spotlight-2000ads-vanyo-two-artists-for-the-price-of-one/

rogue69

Dan Green best known for work as a penciller & inker on Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine and Hulk for Marvel Comics