Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: paddykafka on 30 November, 2023, 12:41:28 PMLead singer of The Pogues, Shane MacGowan.  :'(

https://www.thejournal.ie/shane-macgowan-4362337-Nov2023/

Now there's a sad loss. I remember sitting outside a cafe near a huge photo of him on the wall of the Temple Bar Music Centre, when the man himself shambled past, in all his Prionsias-Cassidy-inspiring glory.

Odd to think he's no more (or less) Irish than Johnny Rotten or Morrissey, but is listed on Wikipedia as an Irish musician while the first two are labelled English. Fair enough, though, it's how they'd all want it. And he never became a far-right loving gimp in his old age like the other two, to the best of my knowledge.

There'll be a lot more poignancy the first time I hear Fairytale of New York this Christmas. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

rogue69

rogue69

Funt Solo

Quote from: rogue69 on 01 December, 2023, 09:54:23 PMArtist and Tutti Frutti writer John Byrne aged 83

Aw, fuck!

There's a really great video about a mural he did in 1975, in Partick, where he had to come to terms with the locals and their spray cans.

I saw his exhibition in Glasgow last year, where I got to see this full size and with the missing half:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

karlos

We could have done to have kept Benjamin Zephaniah around much, much longer.

A real loss.

rogue69

The great Ian Gibson aged 77

broodblik

Sad news RIP. We will miss your unique style and great story telling. Thank You for all the great moments.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

So long, Ian, it's been a blast.  :'(

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Oh no. Only just got my copy of Lifeboat - reading that will be a lot more poignant now

rogue69

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 12 December, 2023, 08:26:34 PMOh no. Only just got my copy of Lifeboat - reading that will be a lot more poignant now
Same here - ordered the day before Ian died, received the day after.  Not read it yet, but I had a quick look through and the saddest page is the one that says "To be continued..."