Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fresno bob

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 May, 2011, 06:32:48 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 02 May, 2011, 06:30:11 PM
Actually, I apologise for my stupid comment. I think his death is a step in the right direction in the war against terror

So when do they get to finally beat 'terror' itself and how?
When there is no longer a need for oil. Perhaps when blood becomes more expensive than oil.
You know why the Professor never got laid on the island, don't you?

JOE SOAP

Unfortunately, the ability to get cheap oil will be cut short before we reach the point of not needing it.

Mardroid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 May, 2011, 06:32:48 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 02 May, 2011, 06:30:11 PM
Actually, I apologise for my stupid comment. I think his death is a step in the right direction in the war against terror

So when do they get to finally beat 'terror' itself and how?

I said 'a step in the right direction'. (My main emphasis was meant to be the other stuff said in my post, but anyhow...)

I don't disagree with you though. I think it WILL be defeated but it will be a long time yet. There are plenty more steps to go. It could be that things get worse before they get better (i.e. vengeance, etc.) but then they may not. Taking out a figurehead in the mean time can't be a bad thing even if just giving some closure to the victims is concerned. And hopefully it will throw Al Quaeda in some disarray in the meantime before they regroup.

Anyway, my last comment on this here, there being another thread dealing with this.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 May, 2011, 07:12:54 PMI think it WILL be defeated but it will be a long time yet. There are plenty more steps to go.

So what is 'it' and how can you declare war on a vague concept of an enemy, one man's terror is another man's...___? and is 'state terrorism' included in this 'terror' concept ala drone bombings, depleted uranium, Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo, arms industry etc.?

Winning is never the objective when the objective is totally, utterly vague and can be twisted to meet whatever criteria suits the 'business' or war, which is what it is, it's not a 'policing' operation, it's a war where thousands of innocents die and for what, who gains?

Jared Katooie

It's attitudes like that that are making it harder to defeat terror.

Orlok

He's right, though.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 02 May, 2011, 07:39:26 PM
It's attitudes like that that are making it harder to defeat terror.

When the 'good guys' use as much terror as the 'enemy' is there any difference anymore, ask an Afghani or an Iraqi who the enemy is?

As I was saying, you can't beat 'terror', it's an idea and shouldn't be used as a war objective. People do bad things, invading their countries and killing thousands doesn't work. You can't wage a war against it, Nothern Ireland is enough proof of violence not being a godd solution to violence.

Jared Katooie

The boards terror levels just went up 4.3%.

Nice going.

Orlok

I, Cosh

Claude "Chuckles" Choules. The last WWI combat veteran, apparently.

It's interesting and a little humbling the way that the First World War has passed from living memory to recorded history in our lifetime. When I was a kid, and I assume the same is true for most of you, there were various people I knew who had lived through it. My gran (okay, she was five when it started, but it still counts), various older relatives and family friends. Not that I ever spoke to any of them about it, but I was certainly aware of it.

I remember just before he buggered off, DXB started a thread on a very similar topic, saying he was working on some project connected to it. Anyone know if anything ever came of this?
We never really die.

Dandontdare

Quote from: klute on 01 May, 2011, 09:11:26 PM
Sir Henry cooper
Quote from: Nap Normal on 01 May, 2011, 09:45:01 PM
A very sad day for British boxing RIP Sir Henry.
I guess I must be getting old because one by one  all my heroes are dying.

I've just found out that Henry Coper was a dedicated anti-racist campaigner and co-founder of the Anti-Nazi League. I already liked him, but he's gone uip even more in my estimation. I'm surprised I hadn't heard this before.

Splash it all over!
That was your catchphrase
           (c) E J Thribb

Batman's Superior Cousin

Oliver Elmes, the man who designed the Seventh Doctor's title sequence, has died
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Orlok

QuoteI've just found out that Henry Coper was a dedicated anti-racist campaigner and co-founder of the Anti-Nazi League. I already liked him, but he's gone uip even more in my estimation. I'm surprised I hadn't heard this before

I never knew that. What a legend!

uncle fester

Seve Ballesteros, 54.

Is it just me or are people shuffling off long before their time?

Something Fishy

That is very early, very sad.