Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 08 October, 2011, 08:14:01 AM
TV's Inspector Wexford (as this link calls him) George Baker. Personally, I prefer to remember him for his roles in the Bond films and as a Bond spoof character in Up Pompeii

Jamesus Bondus!  Frankie Howerd had to play off an entire cast of actors playing it straight for his shtick to work, and Baker was one of the best.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Adrian Bamforth

Though I imagine it's been some years since she had a proper storyline (as John Shuttleworth argues), Betty Driver's Desert Island Discs is an hour well spent. She is remarkably candid about her parents' "absence of affection" and a life being forced onto the stage: "I imitated hits by Gracie Fields such as 'Sing As We Go', and 'The Biggest Aspidistra In the World', corny little numbers that I detested but mother adored. I think she was a frustrated performer herself and she was determined that my sister Freda and I were going to fulfil all her dreams."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/4c524fd7#b00xp1fc

von Boom

I will miss Betty's wit and charm. She reminded me of my own grandmother, but with 100% more sass. Now I have to go in search of a hotpot.

JvB

COMMANDO FORCES

Sad news about Dan Wheldon who died aged 33, from injuries he sustained from that massive crash at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
He was never a big name in his home country but he went to the US and beat them at their own sport, which takes some doing.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Colonel Gadaffi in Sirte
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Dark Jimbo

Really? A 'rest in peace' for Gaddafi, of all people?
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing

Yep, i have a major issue with (not this forum) threads headed 'RIP' featuring deservedly-dead arseholes like this. Ive seen posters banned from forums for daring to suggest scum like Gadaffi shouldnt be here- "respect for the dead, always, or else" runs the mantra. Well, no. The cessation of life doesnt grant you immunity from criticism, or well-placed hatred.

Anyway, yeah he's dead. Yippee!

SBT

mogzilla

rot in pieces may be more appropriate i see al jazeera have the footage of the body being dragged around sirte.

Adrian Bamforth

Also... Westlife.

Heath C Ackley

It just keeps getting better. The Roses reforming and now that bunch of droning granny placating halfwits will soon be just a distant echo in the memory. Unfortunately I've heard that they will unleash one last dump on the charts in the form of a greatest hits album. One for the most hated person in your life this yuletide.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

JOE SOAP

Just means there'll be 4 solo albums instead of one opus of shit to ignore.

Adrian Bamforth

Westlife were found in a hole and their blooded bodies dragged around Sirte to the euphoria of forces loyal to the National Transitional Council. David Cameron has stated that this is a day to remember the victims of their crimes. Oh sorry, that's Gadaffi...

I, Cosh

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 20 October, 2011, 04:04:40 PM
Yep, i have a major issue with (not this forum) threads headed 'RIP' featuring deservedly-dead arseholes like this. Ive seen posters banned from forums for daring to suggest scum like Gadaffi shouldnt be here- "respect for the dead, always, or else" runs the mantra. Well, no. The cessation of life doesnt grant you immunity from criticism, or well-placed hatred.
I've never taken this thread to automatically assume respect, just a checklist of people who've died.
We never really die.

SmallBlueThing

I didnt really explain myself properly, cosh. What i meant was, ive seen time and again people censured for saying 'this person was a shit' after they died. It's the 'RIP' idea taken to extremes. These threads should be just simply a record of who's died and people's comments upon that.

My comment was largely aimed at other forums where the rule of 'nothing bad must be said about the deceased' is strictly enforced, and those who break it are banned. Gallifreybase, for example, exploded when bin laden carked it. The mods had a revolution on their hands when they started deleting posts and telling people off. It was very funny, but they deserved it, the sanctimonious shits.

Maybe 'RIP' is the wrong title for a general thread of this nature. Im uncomfortable with notices of boarders' close friends and family's deaths in the same thread as bin laden and gadaffi.

SBT