Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Phyllis Diller aged 95

judgefloyd

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 August, 2012, 12:19:26 PM
Quote from: judgefloyd on 08 August, 2012, 10:30:30 AMafter finding out about him from the appalling Clive James

:o appalling? How so?

Sorry for the late answer Dan!  I used to think CJ was funny, but soon got tired of his laboured puns and ceasless chatty narcissism.    He's certainly smart and well read and likes himself a lot.  None of which is actually annoying, but he puts himself at the front of evertything he does.  He misquoted Vidal, saying that he thought everyone was bisexual (Vidal never said that.  He said that sexuality was a spectrum and that there was a lot more bisexuality around than had been assumed) and that yet he, James, met Vidal at a party and didn't want to sleep with him.  I'm sure the feeling was mutual.
  Still, he has a lot of fans.   

Batman's Superior Cousin

Tony Nicklinson, the "Right to Die" man, has died of Pneumonia!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Goaty

Neil Armstrong :(

HdE

News about Neil Armstrong was literally the first thing I saw when I logged back online tonight. Dammit.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

IAMTHESYSTEM

I watched the a BBC programme a few months back about an Author who interviewed almost all the Lunar Astronauts- except the reclusive Neil Armstrong. Neil did eventually reply with a polite and lengthy E-Mail.

He became a Teacher after his NASA career and never really spoke about the Moon Landings except with other Astronauts. I think he realised that such a defining moment would haunt him forever and it was best to duck the limelight before it destroyed you. Well he and Buzz Aldrin left their footprints up there, in the Lunar dust plus a flag. They'll never fade those footprints. That's quite a legacy.

It really was a giant leap for mankind after all.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Daveycandlish

Damn. He was one of those guys you hoped was immortal.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

rog

^ yeah sad when they go :(

Spikes

Aye, very sad to hear of Neil Armstrong's passing. I wasnt quite a year old when he touched down onto the surface of the Moon, but growing up in its afterglow, i was always deeply fascinated with that period.
I think the footage of the Saturn V taking off is some of the most iconic images ever, and i never missed a chance to watch and re-watch the numerous documentaries and films about the Apollo missions.
Just awe-inspiring and breathtaking.
R.I.P, Mr Armstrong.

Buttonman

The thing with Armstrong was that he could've become the most famous man on the planet and chose not to cash in. Nowadays  the astronaut's marketability would be one of the first considerations when picking the candidate.

Of the 12 men who have walked on the moon 4 have died on of those left the youngest is in his late 70s. Totally possible that in 20 years there won't be a man alive who has walked on the moon - what happened to progress? Oh right all the wars and economic downturns.

Men who have walked on the moon

Something Fishy

RIP Neil Armstrong.  An amazing achievement and an amazing humble man.  Truly a legend.

Mardroid

Quote from: Buttonman on 26 August, 2012, 03:21:56 PM
Of the 12 men who have walked on the moon

I'm surprised there were that many! For some reason I though there was just the one successful mission to the moon, but seems there were 6! (Shows how much I read up on these sorts of thing.)

Mind you, last one was 1972.

von Boom

I haven't had access to internet or telly or radio for the last week and the news about Neil Armstrong was the first thing I saw. This is sad news for us all. Goodbye Neil. Again you take that one giant leap...