RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Jazz trumpet player Kenny Ball aged 82 passed away of pneumonia

Frank

Quote from: rogue69 on 07 March, 2013, 05:24:34 PM
Jazz trumpet player Kenny Ball aged 82 passed away of pneumonia

If, a couple of hours ago, you'd asked me to list everything I knew about Kenny Ball, I'd have said that his band were called The Jazzmen and that he looked like Malky McCormick. Thanks to the radio, I realise that I know their biggest hit Midnight In Moscow from somewhere. I'm fairly sure I recognise it from a film, but I can't think which  - anyone have a better visual/auditory memory than me?

I've become a google expert on the song now, and - rather than being an original composition by Ball or a ragtime standard - it was a product of the Soviet version of Tin Pan Alley and the cultural equivalent of the command economy. In case anyone's wondering what the song would sound like sung by outgoing Chinese head of state Hu Jintao, here it is. It's Trad, comrade (Dad).

HdE

Only just heard about the death of Toren Smith, who founded Studio Proteus back in the late 1980s, and was instrumental in bringing manga to the West.

Absolutely gutted. His translation and repackaging of seminal works like Appleseed and Akira quite literally opened the eyes of a generation to wider world of comics. 
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Professor Bear

That is gutting news for this old-school manga and anime fan.
Before the default state of westernised manga was shoddily-produced shit aimed at weeabo nerds and tossed off in one afternoon with babelfish and a pirated copy of photoshop, Smith was working hard on translating epic works like Akira and Nausicaa on the understanding that they deserved to travel outside their tiny niche and be enjoyed by as many people as possible just as he had enjoyed them himself, which told in how he was personally sought out by Japanese creators to translate their work for the west.  He was unsurprisingly left out in the cold when care and attention started to become dirty words in the manga translating world, but I and many others will forever see his work as a benchmark in bridging a cultural gap and finding that common ground between creators and readers that would share universal experience between us all rather than elevating our differences as if that were all that manga - or comics - had to offer.

A genuinely sad day for comics.

Hawkmumbler

Indeed, RIP Mr. Smith, a true legend.  :(

M.I.K.

Those Dirty Pair stories he wrote were rather good as well.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

CrazyFoxMachine

Clive Burr, original Iron Maiden drummer and fearsomely awesome chap.

Do yourself a favour and go and watch a clip of Maiden with him in the lineup - it's quite glorious.

\m/

Hawkmumbler

Damn, alas it was bound to happen sooner rather than later. RIP, Mr.Burr.  :(

von Boom

I'm truly gutted. Iron Maiden has been one of my favourite bands right from their beginning. Sad, sad news. RIP Clive.

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, gutting about Clive. He'd been ill for such a long time too. Killers is in my top twenty albums of all time, and that's in no small part due to his sterling drumming.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=8SEcxL_FB3Y&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8SEcxL_FB3Y

vzzbux

Damn. Such a shame Clive Burr has passed on. R.I.P.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

rogue69

Yes guitarist Jerry Ewing died on the 8th March of a heart attack aged 65

Albion

Quote from: rogue69 on 14 March, 2013, 07:29:25 AM
Yes guitarist Jerry Ewing died on the 8th March of a heart attack aged 65

I think you mean Peter Banks.
Jerry Ewing is a music journalist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21771444
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.