Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Sad to hear about Clive Burr.

Iron Maiden were one of the bands that got me into rock music after hearing The Numbe Of The Beast album in a friends car.
I've seen Maiden a few times over the years and was lucky enough to go to one of the charity shows they put on for Clive at Brixton in 2002 to raise money to help with his illness.
Farewell Clive Burr.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Daveycandlish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21798955

Norman Collier (he of the broken mike routine back in the 70s) is gone. I didn't realise he was that old! RIP.

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

rogue69

Frank Thornton "Are you being served"'s Captain Peacock aged 92

Spikes

Ah, thats a shame. Another childhood favourite gone. Still, 92 is a very good innings.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 15 March, 2013, 06:41:29 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21798955
Norman Collier (he of the broken mike routine back in the 70s) is gone. I didn't realise he was that old! RIP.
Wh-- a sh-m-. M-- -e r-st -- p--ce.

von Boom

Quote from: rogue69 on 18 March, 2013, 03:24:54 PM
Frank Thornton "Are you being served"'s Captain Peacock aged 92

That's so sad. He was still funny in Last of the Summer Wine. He'll be missed.

Frank

Daveycandlish

Bloody hell. I was just talking about his books yesterday. :-(
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

JamesC

That's really sad news - he seemed like a top bloke and I've always really liked his stories. He was a real master at creating creepy atmosphere and building it up into a crescendo.

Heath C Ackley

A real shock. I had only just been taking a gander at Ash in the bookshop when I heard the news.
The guy was a legend. People will inevitably label him as 'the author of The Rats' but that was only his first hit and he went on to write far better stories. A sad loss for British horror and the genre as a whole.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Hawkmumbler

Deary me what a shame. A true legend.  :(

Dandontdare

I still have a copy of Lair that flops open at the dirty bits after it went around most of the fourth year at school.

Richmond Clements

Damn shame. I'd go for The Ghosts of Sleath as his best book. He was very much responsible for my love of horror and my wanting to be a writer.

Link Prime

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 March, 2013, 08:57:51 PM
He was very much responsible for my love of horror

Mine too Richmond (well, him and all the other greats).
Real sad news, only just heard this morning.

I liked 'Once' a lot.

moly

Loved James Herbert in the 80s fantastic author