Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Definitely Not Mister Pops

When I was seventeen, I had a very good year...I also resolved to learn Reign in Blood in its entirety. A genre defining album with a running time of 29 minutes on the dot. I would stick it on and try to play along without stopping. When you factor in tuning up (or down as the case is with Slayer), it amounted to a good half hour of punishing relentless guitar practice. It's partly because of this that I am now one of the greatest human beings to ever play guitar (Hendrix doesn't count, because he was from outer space). I shall be raising a glass and breaking out my sexy Les Paul in tribute to the great Jeff Hanneman tonight.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 03 May, 2013, 03:42:20 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 03 May, 2013, 02:20:33 PM
Zachi Telesha, comics writer, passes away at age 12

oh god that nearly made me cry in work.
I did actualy well up at this. Horrible waste of talent, but of that fate was born a tiny legend. :'(

Emp

w....ah no never mind

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 May, 2013, 08:18:17 AM
Sad news, and it does seem almost impossible that he was only 49.  One of my favourite-ever gigs was Slayer in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in (I think) 1988, accompanied by, I believe, Nuclear Assault. 

The Top Hat (now apartments) was the place for gigs back then: Metallica (played 2 nights and Hetfield skateboarded round it), Anthrax, Slayer, Nuclear Assault, Sepultura, Ozzy, Faith No More, Danzig, Sonic Youth, Nirvana; it wasn't too far from where I live and it was the perfect size.

Jeff Hanneman created Slayer's best and most sinister tunes and considering the band's profile, and his own interests, I find it oddly macabre the means to which his health had declined in the past few years. Still, he pumped out the power-chords like it was no one's business and I like to think he's doing it elsewhere with Cliff Burton. Thanks for the riffs Jeff.

Hawkmumbler

I've really had enough of this BS now.  >:(

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=189530

Leave the guys alone, he did more for any given medium than anyone of them have.

Emp

fuck em....when I go I'd like the WBC to boycott my funeral!   Narrow minded fuckers the lot of them. It's a bit presumptuous to say you speak for god!

von Boom

The problem that shit like the WBC is the bread and butter of the American media. Hell, all media these days. I wish there was a news director out there with the backbone to say sod them and ignore their antics.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 May, 2013, 12:38:58 PMI like to think he's doing it elsewhere with Cliff Burton. Thanks for the riffs Jeff.

:'(

CrazyFoxMachine

Bloody hell.

Ray Harryhausen. This has literally just happened.

http://www.movies.ie/movie%20news/Ray_Harryhausen_RIP

Daveycandlish

Oh bollocks. :-(
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Bat King

Oh my. What an absolute legend in film making.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Recrewt

Ray Harryhausen

That is said news but he had 'a good innings' as they say in my neck of the woods.

I would like to thank him for my childhood - Sinbad, Titans & Argonauts.  The medusa has never been bettered - even with todays CGI.

Spikes

Quote from: Bat King on 07 May, 2013, 05:54:20 PM
What an absolute legend in film making.

Absolutely. Damn, that is crap news.
So many of his films where firm faves from my childhood onwards, as i suspect they was for many on here.
A unique talent. RIP Mr Harryhausen