Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: Recrewt on 20 June, 2013, 01:26:30 PM
James Gandolfini
I always hate waking up and hearing an actor that I like has died.

Aye, caught this on the 6am news. You could tell straight away its wasnt gonna be good when they started the story 'And its reported that actor James Gandolfini........'

Totally unexpected, but in a strange kinda way it also wasnt. The fella was a man mountain.
But what a legacy to leave us with. The Soprano's was many years of excellent, and required viewing.
RIP, T.

Heath C Ackley

I too woke up to the sad news this morning. He was a great actor and there aren't many who would've been brave enough to take on such a confused/unsympathetic character and carry it off with such skill. To me, The Sopranos set the standard for tv drama and its influences can be still seen today in such shows as Boardwalk Empire and Justified. I shall miss Gandolfini as one of my favourite actors as much as I do The Sopranos - a great deal.
And in closing, as a final tribute;
[spoiler]What da' fuck?[/spoiler]
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Mikey

The Sopranos was when TV got better than a lot of cinema. I've watched it countless times and it never gets old, the performances of Gandolfini and Falco are monumentally good if you ask me. It was talked about plenty, but the use of music was pretty great too - I got introduced to Kasey Chambers from it, everytime I hear Gloria I can't help thinking about her, plus it had the finest deployment of a Tindersticks song ever.

Think it's time to do it all again...just when you think you're out...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mikey on 21 June, 2013, 12:37:26 PM
The Sopranos was when TV got better than a lot of cinema.

That is so true. There were a few good shows bubbling up around that time but really for me it was The Sopranos that defined the paradigm shift there.

Bolt-01

I'm still six episodes away from the end of the last series. A real shame to hear Gandolfini has passed.

Recrewt

Quote from: Judge Jack on 20 June, 2013, 04:18:36 PM
Aye, caught this on the 6am news. You could tell straight away its wasnt gonna be good when they started the story 'And its reported that actor James Gandolfini........'

Totally unexpected, but in a strange kinda way it also wasnt. The fella was a man mountain.
But what a legacy to leave us with. The Soprano's was many years of excellent, and required viewing.
RIP, T.

As others have said - he did look a little older then he was.  I don't think I am being discourteous when I say he was a 'big man' and we all know the health risks that associate with that.  Still, it surprises me how some of the bigger actors like James Gandolfini and John Candy have shorter innings and then someone like Brian Dennehy is still going strong in his 70s (and continues to do so, I hope).

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Recrewt on 21 June, 2013, 02:58:46 PM
As others have said - he did look a little older then he was.  I don't think I am being discourteous when I say he was a 'big man' and we all know the health risks that associate with that.  Still, it surprises me how some of the bigger actors like James Gandolfini and John Candy have shorter innings and then someone like Brian Dennehy is still going strong in his 70s (and continues to do so, I hope).

Yes it's a very strange phenomenon, how some people live longer than others, despite 'excessive' lifestyles compared to others.....As you say he was a 'big man' and there are associated health risks with that.....but on the other side of the coin there are people who have more grossly abused their bodies over the years,  and are still going strong.....Not all of them of course,  as several meet early deaths as well.....

One of the most amazing examples of this ( for me anyway ) is the fact that Keith Richards is still going at almost 70......( and hopefully will keep going for many years to come ) ...And when you consider that the amount of drink and drugs he has imbibed over the 50+ years in the Stones, and his apparent disregard for his own health,  it is nothing short of incredible.....
Not that I'm condoning Drink and Drug abuse......I'm just saying that there are factors we can control ( diet, no smoking, regular exercise, healthy body and mind etc ) but 'ultimately' it still all seems to be a bit of a lottery !!....
Especially when considering Keff, has always drank copiously, smoked constantly, partied with nubile maidens galore, been a Heroin addict, a heavy cocaine user, a marajuana smoker, pill popper and absolute libertine.....Seems a bit unfair !!.....
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 21 June, 2013, 03:24:31 PMOne of the most amazing examples of this ( for me anyway ) is the fact that Keith Richards is still going at almost 70......( and hopefully will keep going for many years to come ) ...And when you consider that the amount of drink and drugs he has imbibed over the 50+ years in the Stones, and his apparent disregard for his own health,  it is nothing short of incredible.....

Someone asked Keef about this before and his was advice was always make sure your drugs were top quality.   :lol:

radiator

Keith Richards has also said that he has a massive reputation for hard living, and that to a certain extent he is playing a character called 'Keith Richards'.

Jim_Campbell

See also: Iggy Pop.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

It's not an original observation, but Richards and Osterberg both look like they died decades ago.

JOE SOAP

The secret to long life is apparently eating small portions.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 June, 2013, 11:14:28 PM

The secret to long life is apparently eating small portions.

I'm read an anecdote about David Bowie and Iggy Pop meeting for lunch back in the 70's - they were both on macrobiotic diets (their words) so Iggy ate spoons of honey while David ate sugar cubes....

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 June, 2013, 10:52:46 PM
See also: Iggy Pop.

Shit, don't do that! I thought Iggy Pop had died for a moment there!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 June, 2013, 08:43:24 AM
Shit, don't do that! I thought Iggy Pop had died for a moment there!

You cannnnot kill what doessss not live!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.