Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 December, 2013, 12:26:36 PM
Really sorry to hear that, Fishy.

I was saddened by the news of Jose Ortiz, but to lose someone you know personally at this time of year must be dreadful.  Hope you and the wife are coping okay.

Thanks Jayz.  I must admit I didn't really know him. I knew and worked with Duncan (his brother) who'd know Helen for years being a close friend of her first hubby (and they became good friends from thereon) but his brother had been away in the navy all the time I'd known him

Helen was certainly shocked this morning and sad.  Just so sad for the Mum and Dad, both sons gone in their 40's.  Never right is it.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteNever right is it.

No, it really shouldn't happen to any parent.  Life's a bitch sometimes.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Something Fishy

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 December, 2013, 05:04:01 PM
QuoteNever right is it.

No, it really shouldn't happen to any parent.  Life's a bitch sometimes.
Sure is.

Dark Jimbo

RIP to my Gran, who passed away Monday at the ripe old age of 101. She missed the Titanic by a few months but nonethless lived through some momentous events. Her father served in the Great War at only 19 years of age and died the year after the armistice suffering badly from shellshock; her husband served in the RAF in the next war, and she had sons in the Army of Occupation in Berlin in the late '40s and some 40 years after that the Falklands war. She often talked about standing in her front doorway holding my newborn aunt Anne in her arms staring at the red glow in the sky as the Luftwaffe bombed Southampton 13 miles away, and the wind from the bombing blew the hem of her nightdress around her legs. She was married and settled with several children before my other Gran had even been born, and there isn't even much of an age gap between my parents! Impressive stuff, and even at the age of 100 she was still living alone in her terrace, climbing the stairs to bed every night - her vision was 20/20 and only her hearing really seemed to be suffering with age. She had such an iron constituton she could have gone on for years yet, but I think she'd simply decided enough was enough.
@jamesfeistdraws

COMMANDO FORCES

Sorry to hear that DJ. I always found listening to older relatives stories about historical events very grounding. Just to hear what these people did, while the big story unfolded around is quite fascinating. Glad to hear she was still independent, right to the end!

TordelBack

Sorry about your Gran, Jimbo, no matter how long we have them it's never long enough.  An impressive life though: it seems like she was the same age as my Nana, and she died an old lady more than 20 years ago!

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 December, 2013, 03:22:28 PM
RIP to my Gran, who passed away Monday at the ripe old age of 101. She missed the Titanic by a few months but nonethless lived through some momentous events. Her father served in the Great War at only 19 years of age and died the year after the armistice suffering badly from shellshock; her husband served in the RAF in the next war, and she had sons in the Army of Occupation in Berlin in the late '40s and some 40 years after that the Falklands war. She often talked about standing in her front doorway holding my newborn aunt Anne in her arms staring at the red glow in the sky as the Luftwaffe bombed Southampton 13 miles away, and the wind from the bombing blew the hem of her nightdress around her legs. She was married and settled with several children before my other Gran had even been born, and there isn't even much of an age gap between my parents! Impressive stuff, and even at the age of 100 she was still living alone in her terrace, climbing the stairs to bed every night - her vision was 20/20 and only her hearing really seemed to be suffering with age. She had such an iron constituton she could have gone on for years yet, but I think she'd simply decided enough was enough.

This, is the most moving post of the past year. RIP to a truly impressive woman!!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Dunk!

Sorry to hear that Jimbo, but 101 with all her faculties, add that to what else you say and that's one hell of an innings.

Hope her send off is a celebration as much as a mourning.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Bat King

My sympathies, Dark Jimbo.

All those that go before us make the world what it is,
Some affect the grand stage, some the small stage,
All those that go before us make us what we are,
What they did and how they lived bring us to this age.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Something Fishy

RIP to your gran Jimbo. What a life.  Amazing.

JayzusB.Christ

Really sorry to hear that, Jimbo.  Hats off to your Gran though, sounds like a true legend. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

von Boom

Sad to hear about your gran DJ. She sounds like an impressive woman. Sympathies to you and your family.

Heath C Ackley

Sad news indeed Jumbo. It's always hard to lose someone who has always been there. She sounded like a great lady.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Fungus

Quote from: Bat King on 28 December, 2013, 06:11:42 PM
My sympathies, Dark Jimbo.

All those that go before us make the world what it is,
Some affect the grand stage, some the small stage,
All those that go before us make us what we are,
What they did and how they lived bring us to this age.

Well said.
My sympathies too, DJ.

Bolt-01

Ah Jimbo, sounds like she'll be sorely missed by quite a few. Thanks for sharing and best wishes to you and the rest of the family.

Dave