Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Yes alright Hawk we all know how you feel on the matter but repeating that you hate him in every thread doesn't change anything.

There are plenty of other individuals to be focussing on instead. Those, for example, who are alive and pretty much responsible for spreading homophobic rhetoric throughout Uganda and Russia. From the looks of the comments he likes to debate it as well - so you'd even likely get a response out of him! Better than just digitally dissing some dead guy who was ostracised by his own cult anyway.

On another and far more relevant subject - here are some collected tweets about the death of Steve Moore. Someone worth remembering - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/19/steve-moore-1949-2014-rip/

Hawkmumbler

Heh. Yeah. Get a little ahead of myself on the subject so i'd best leave that as the final word on the matter.  :-\

O Lucky Stevie!

Oh Christ no. Now we've lost Lucius Shepard.

http://boingboing.net/2014/03/20/rip-lucius-shepard-gone-too.html

Michael Swanwick's eulogy here[/ul].
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Such a shame about Shepard, I loved his short stories: always gave me a kick to see his name on the back of an anthology.  The Sun Spider, Radiant Green Star, Barnacle Bill the Spacer... just great stuff.  All these lads going in their 60's... it's later than you think.

I, Cosh

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 21 March, 2014, 04:39:14 AM
Oh Christ no. Now we've lost Lucius Shepard.

http://boingboing.net/2014/03/20/rip-lucius-shepard-gone-too.html
It's a while since I've read any of his books but anyone on here should read Life During Wartime. And Green Eyes.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Kalimantan was good too.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

I've only read Sun spider but it was a cracking little tale. RIP

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 March, 2014, 09:08:00 AM
I've only read Sun spider but it was a cracking little tale. RIP

That's the one that sticks most in my mind: did I imagine it or did he write a follow-up at some point, or at least a story in the same universe?   I'm also just now remembering 'All The Perfumes of Araby', which I loved.  I like his Conrad-y thing, of men making fateful decisions, and seeing the consequences unfold.  A trip to the bookshelf, I think.

von Boom

Sad news about Shepard. He wrote some good stories.

Frank

US character actor James Rebhorn, the epitome of one of those guys whose face is familiar from small parts in loads of film and telly without your being quite able to place him. That obituary says he was playing Clare Danes's dad in Homeland, but I remember him best as the suit who explains the range of service offered by CRS in David Fincher's The Game. Ironically, his character turns out to be a bit part actor, whose face Michel Douglas recognises when he sees him in another role.

ZenArcade

Wasn't he also the sneaky, spineless aide in Independence Day, he played the part well? RIP.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

vzzbux

David Brockie. GWAR frontman. RIP.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Spikes

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Louis Theroux (a man for whom I have a great deal of time), shared his thoughts on Fred Phelps on Facebook:

Pastor Fred Phelps is gone, called to glory if you believe the teachings of his hate-spewing ministry, the Westboro Baptist Church. To me it seems more likely that his remains are mouldering away somewhere, obeying the laws of physics and biology. But either way, it seems an appropriate moment to pause and reflect on the man and his legacy.

I had some history with "Gramps", as his family and followers liked to call him. I made two documentaries about his church for the BBC: The Most Hated Family In America in 2006 and America's Most Hated Family in Crisis in 2010. In all, I suppose I spent about a month with the members of the WBC, trying to figure out what induces them to dedicate their every spare moment – when they aren't keeping down respectable jobs as lawyers, correctional officers, salesmen in their hometown of Topeka, Kansas – to flying around the country standing as close as they are legally allowed to funeral-goers, and waving hate-filled placards with slogans like "Thank God for Dead Soldiers", "Fags Eat Poop", and of course "God Hates Fags". They became notorious for picketing the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. In the WBC teachings, the soldiers were being punished for fighting for a nation doomed in the eyes of God for its tolerance of homosexuality.

Their main scriptural inspiration is the passage in Leviticus that mandates the death penalty for gay sex ("Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind, it is an abomination") though for some reason the adjacent verses that proscribe astrology in similar terms never seem to excite the WBC quite so much. Not to mention that Jesus Christ himself – something of an authority on Christian affairs, one would think – had literally nothing to say on the subject of gay sex or shouting at funerals and plenty to say about kindness and humility.

The WBC has tended to be a family affair, overwhelmingly made up of Gramps' lineal descendants and their spouses. They live in suburban Topeka, in a collection of houses with their gardens all connected, which they call "Zion". Gramps was the prime mover behind the practices of the church. He founded it at a time and place when the idea of abominating sodomites was mainstream in American Christian circles. In some respects, it was the times that changed, becoming more tolerant of homosexuality, leaving the WBC behind in their dogged adherence to old-style fire-and-brimstone bible thumping. But it's also the case homosexuality seems to have been an idee fixe with Pastor Phelps: it struck a nerve.

According to legend, the WBC inaugurated their anti-gay pickets when a local Topeka park – Gage Park, as I recall – became a cruising ground. The Phelps decided to make signs and demonstrate against the practice. This was in the eighties. The WBC doctrine evolved into a belief that the whole of America was fallen and damned in God's eyes, as was anyone who fought under the American flag – or indeed who wasn't a member of the Westboro Baptist Church. We are all either "fags" or "fag enablers": you, me, Desmond Tutu, Princess Di, Donald Rumsfeld, Billy Graham, Liz Taylor – though possibly not Robert Mugabe, Gramps had a soft spot for him. An eternity in Hell is the fate of anyone who doesn't get baptised into the WBC and travel the country waving hate-filled placards at political events, at colleges, and places associated – even in the most tortuous way – with tolerance of homosexuality.

While I was with them, they had a regular local picket of a hardware store that sold Swedish vacuum cleaners. The Swedish government had imprisoned a pastor for homophobic preaching, and for the WBC that made the store a legitimate target for a ritualized biblical smackdown. For the newcomer, these pickets were bizarre, not simply because of the venom of the signs, but also because of how they clashed with the banality of the family interaction. For the Phelps, it was another day at the office – there was a water-cooler ambience of relaxed chit-chat. Meanwhile, everyone, even the youngest children, were carrying placards saying "Thank God for 9/11", "Your Pastor is a Whore", and "Fag Sweden".

There is no question that over the years their caravan of religious bigotry has made life miserable for thousands of people, many of them vulnerable mourners hoping to pay tribute to recently departed loved ones. It boggles the mind to remember that among their proposed picketing targets was the funeral of some young Amish children who had been shot by a deranged gunman. In the tortured logic of the WBC, those Amish kids died because their parents weren't out holding their own pickets denouncing homosexuality. In the end, the WBC only called off the event after they were promised airtime on a local radio station, effectively holding the community to ransom.

But the WBC also made life miserable for themselves and inflicted a distorted and poisonous view of the world on the youngest members of their own family, holding over their heads the threat that any deviation or failure of commitment (not going to a picket; socializing with outsiders) would result in a lifetime of banishment. Ex-members – of which there are quite a few – can have no contact with the church. They are cut loose and cast adrift.

Given their eagerness to court controversy, and their willingness to offend and make themselves into a cartoon, it's not surprising that there are misapprehensions about the WBC. Unlike hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan, the WBC members never claim to hate gay people themselves, only that God does. I'm pretty sure there was at least one gay man in the congregation of the WBC. Even on the pickets, the Phelps could be civil. For most of the Phelpses, the hostility they expressed was a role that they enacted, dictated by a doctrine they had imbibed from their church leader and paterfamilias. You can find videos on YouTube of counter-demonstrators having cordial chats with Phelps picketers. I don't doubt that if you knocked on the door of one of the second generation of the family, said you had some questions about Jesus, they'd let you in and maybe offer you a glass of water. Pastor Phelps was a different story: a hater by instinct.

I'm proud to say he took against me from the moment we met. I asked him how many children he had. He disliked this question – I think he found I trivial. The interview was cut short. After that, over subsequent days, we continued filming but I hardly saw Pastor Phelps. I had the feeling he was hiding from me. We eventually crossed paths again, though: in church one Sunday after his sermon on the subject of America's coming tribulations, in which he bellowed: "You're going to eat your babies!" One-on-one, Gramps still had the remnants of a folksy, plainspoken charm, but underneath was a bitter contempt for humanity in general and me specifically. I asked him how he could possibly know that the WBC members were the only people in the world bound for heaven. "I can't talk to you, you're just too dumb," he said. It seemed that I was a hell-bound sinner. Well, at least I was in good company.

I've heard people speculate that Phelps had repressed gay leanings or that perhaps he was sexually assaulted when he was young, leading to a lasting animosity to homosexuality. Personally, I doubt it. There may be no simple explanation for his behaviour. He was just an angry bigoted man who thrived on conflict. There are credible reports from his disaffected offspring (four of his 13 children left the church) that he was physically abusive to his wife Marge; that he was violent to his children and had an intermittent problem with pills. A lawyer, he won some civil rights cases and received an award from the NAACP. But Phelps liked going against the grain. Later on, he realized he could outrage even more people and create more turbulence by using a handful of Old Testament verses to justify the weird mission of waving homophobic placards at every opportunity.

The members of the WBC like being attacked for their activities. They thrive on the presence of counter-demonstrators: the patriotic bikers who would sometimes turn up and rev their engines to drown out the WBC's songs at military funerals and also the students who turned out in droves to sing and register their dissent when the WBC held pickets near their campus. For the church, this meant they were getting a reaction and they would quote bible verses to the effect that being hated by the world was a sign of godliness.

In some ways I think the counter-demonstrators feed into the church's worldview. The WBC and their enemies exist in a feedback loop, with the church taking strength from the idea that they are having an impact. The church enjoys the image of itself as an indefatigable and godly remnant, hopelessly outnumbered, facing the hordes of a hostile world and valiantly sticking to their message in the face of violence and abuse. Indifference was a harder reaction for them to deal with, although they have faced plenty of that as well without being much deterred.

It has been reported that Pastor Phelps had been "excommunicated" from his own church before he died (probably this doesn't mean much more than being prevented from preaching; I doubt he was out wandering the streets). In 2010 I heard a similar rumour. Then, the word was that Gramps was panicking about a multi-million dollar lawsuit brought against the church by the family of a dead soldier whose funeral they had picketed. (The WBC ended up winning the case on appeal.) The rest of the church viewed Gramps' failure of nerve as evidence of lack of faith in God's plan and they put him on the naughty pew for a time-out.

The truth is, despite being its founder and main preacher, Gramps has been a marginal figure within the WBC for some years. When I made my documentaries the dominant force was Fred's daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, a gifted organizer who could sling religious obloquy while holding four separate placards and wearing a bandana with a message of religious hate – in a different context it would have been impressive. In fact, underneath her programming, and despite all the pain she inflicted in the name of her religion, Shirley is basically a kind person.

But my sense is that Shirley has been pushed aside by an axis of WBC men, among them her brothers, Tim and Jonathan, and also the WBC convert Steve Drain, with Steve possibly in the driving seat. This is speculation on my part; but it struck me when I spent time among the WBC members that Steve was the most likely to take over the church. Steve had originally come to the WBC to make a documentary (called "Hatemongers") and ended up moving in and bringing his wife and two daughters from Florida. It was striking that he too called Pastor Phelps "Gramps". He had disconnected from his own parents and found a surrogate family in the Phelps clan. Steve is an intelligent man but arrogant. In personality, he is closer to Pastor Phelps than any of Gramps' natural children. I met and interviewed all three of Pastor Phelps' sons that remain in the church: they all have the slight air of being survivors of an abusive upbringing.

Where the WBC goes from here is anybody's guess. I haven't been following the doings of the WBC as closely in recent years. Evidently they have been attracting some new members from outside the family. A few years ago there was news that a US Marine and his family had been baptized into the church. Just as striking was the report that a British man had moved to Topeka from England, joined the church and married Jael Phelps. A few weeks ago I found a photo on Twitter of Jael at a picket holding a tiny baby. In its abundant procreation, the family has a guaranteed supply of future recruits.

With Gramps' death I don't expect huge changes. The church has always operated according to the dynamics of a large family rather than a cult. Cults don't typically excommunicate their "charismatic leaders". Families do: they put their aging parents in a granny annex and take away the keys to the car. Maybe, like other families, the bereavement will bring them together. In another context, that might be a comforting thought. In this case one rather wishes that the second generation would continue to feud and fragment – and perhaps in the process moderate their way of thinking and get in touch with some of the apostate children they no longer see.

The more chilling thought is a backward looking one, of how one man and his hateful cast of mind caused so much pain and managed to poison the well of his family for generations in such a way that that his legacy of causing upset and provoking conflict is likely to continue. His offspring, and their offspring, have been raised to believe that abuse is kindness and that Christian charity dictates that one should hurl invective at vulnerable people. The natural bonds of family have been braided into this twisted thinking so that children who love their parents and siblings can't separate those feelings from their sense of obligation to the church and its creed. And when they leave they also take with them the nagging guilt and fear that haven't just lost a family, they have lost their only chance of salvation.

All of this can be traced back to one man.
You may quote me on that.

Richmond Clements

The boy can write.