Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Quote from: JamesC on 07 April, 2014, 10:26:12 PM
They've got camera men outside the Geldof household beaming live pictures of the comings and goings. I wish they'd leave people alone.

I agree. Vultures at the work :(

Hour ago not sure if it's Sky News but there was talks with person with knowledge of Celebrities Deaths. I really think that no need for it!

Frank

Journalists say that one of the boons of social media is that when someone whose life hasn't been documented by the tabloids dies unexpectedly, they no longer have to doorstep the family and hassle them for photographs of the deceased for the morning editions. Pity they can't extend that to these kind of sieges of the bereaved.

CrazyFoxMachine

I actually witnessed this - when there was that couple that shot a policeman and then themselves in the US recently a girl tweeted "In class she was always so quiet, I can't believe she's gone :(" and a 'journalist' from the Express had PUBLICLY tweeted her like "@sallymae1996 care to speak with me on the phone about your friend?" and she said "no, no thank you too distressed to talk" and his heartfelt reply was "fair enough."

NOT SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. NOT SORRY FOR DISTURBING YOU. Just "fair enough."  :sick:

Steven Denton

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 07 April, 2014, 10:30:40 PM

Then why even say it at all? Clearly people here with kids that age are feeling the Geldof's loss and you wade in with a comment like that. Mate you deserve a Campbell drubbing and a Tordelback takedown and I don't say that lightly.

seconded

"Writing "was" destroys me afresh. What a beautiful child. How is this possible that we will not see her again? How is that bearable? We loved her and will cherish her forever. How sad that sentence is." Eloquent and moving.

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 07 April, 2014, 10:09:05 PM
I simply don't CARE.

less so

vzzbux

I have said this before and will say it again. The press are leeches and will pounce on anything and suck it dry. They have a lot to answer for and just don't see themselves invading vulnerable peoples lives or doing anything wrong. They try to justify everything that they do with 'freedom of the press' or 'the public have a right to know'.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Old Tankie

RIP  Mickey Rooney   RIP  Peaches Geldof

I've got two young grandchildren and the thought of them losing a parent just doesn't bear thinking about.

Ghost, why come on this thread and be offensive?  If you don't care then stay off the thread, after all it is called "RIP."

Professor Bear

Quote from: vzzbux on 07 April, 2014, 10:54:48 PMThey try to justify everything that they do with 'freedom of the press' or 'the public have a right to know'.

There's a vast difference between "press" and "paparazzi", and a big difference between public interest and sensationalism that a real journalist comprehends.

vzzbux

The news rags and the news programs are all over these kind of stories. How a family feels after the loss of a loved one in of no concern to us but is and will be aired and printed over the next few days. In my eyes Press and Paparazzi are too close to split.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Trout

Gents, if you didn't have a 297-page thread that's largely dedicated to the deaths of celebrities I might find it easier to accept criticism of the media's interest in such things. But, yes, it's not the place to argue about it. We have done so a few times elsewhere on this board.

I've been feeling so sad for this girl's family. Those poor kids. I hope they have the sense to choose a life that's out of the spotlight.

ZenArcade

I take what Trout says. I tend to treat this thread as a place to remember and celebrate the passing of people of both public note and people personal to forum members, and indeed in some small way try and share the loss with our fellow forum members.. I'm sad that it generates adverse comment at times....but I auppose that's the world we live in.  The Guardian had to close down their comment section on this poor, unfortunate girls death due to the amount of negative commentry.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: ZenArcade on 08 April, 2014, 12:17:50 AM
The Guardian had to close down their comment section on this poor, unfortunate girls death due to the amount of negative commentry.

As much as I don't wish to extend this debate any further than it needs to - they didn't close their comment section due to negative commentary - they closed it because news stories like that tend not to have a comment section for speculation reasons and as such it was largely full of people going "why does this have a comments section, please close it!"

ZenArcade

You could be right, however when I was on the site earlier I did notice a lot of the 'this comment has been removed as It didn't abide by their standards blurb'. Z

Professor Bear

I'll risk derailing the thread a bit to chip in that the thing to remember about comments sections on the Guardian website articles is that they are the absolute pits and exhibit A - alongside rape threat tweets - of why most people think the internet is just awful.  Stock ad hominem comments from its user database of huffy teenagers on anything from terrorist attacks to celebrity deaths are along the lines of "this shouldn't be open to comments - THIS IS TYPICAL OF THE GUARDIAN AND/OR LIBERALS," and God forbid the article should be written by - or about - a woman.

The website has a high quality of journalism, but an absolutely terrible community.

ZenArcade

That sheds a bit more light on it. I have to admit I log on to the Guardian Football commentry page (I do not post I hasten to add) for a good laugh a the rants. Z

GrinningChimera

I'm not one to cause a fuss, but can we get this thread back on topic now? 2 pages of bickering about various things stemming from the death of Peaches is quite enough I think. Lets not risk having what was an informative and sadly an almost daily updated thread closed because some people can't play nice.

If you want to argue about the media, drugs or anything else, why not start a new thread about it?

R.I.P Peaches Geldof and Mickey Rooney