Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

Very very sad.  RIP :-(
(was already a sad date for me as was the day my Dad died.  The 12th March is not a nice day for me).

TordelBack

Not ashamed to say my eyes filled with tears at this awful news. I only met Pratchett the once, but I've read him since the very start, and his wit, decency, eloquence and raw common sense has always been an inspiration - albeit in the most unlikely of places. He deserved better and longer.

To lose both him and Banks so close together, with their dependable reliable rythym of publication, and promise of humane insight amongst all the chuckles, well, it's like two of the seasons have been cancelled.

Mattofthespurs

Used to see him all the time at Liverpool Street over ground station in the early 2000's.

Personable bloke.

Said hello to him once and he stopped and shook my hand.

Nice fella.

Hawkmumbler

Ah feck it here come the water works!  :'(

The Enigmatic Dr X

I think that Esme Weatherwax is the greatest character in fiction.

EDIT: All fiction, ever. Rounded, and a perfect shade of grey.
Lock up your spoons!

Mattofthespurs

Didn't really like his books if I'm honest.

Not my cup of tea and I tried several.

But seemed a nice bloke and the World needs nice blokes.

That's why I'm sad.

McNulty

Reading Snuff at the moment. Very sad news.

ZenArcade

Never a Terry Pratchett reader,  but he gave joy to millions and dealt with an awful condition with humour and bravery. One couldn't ask more from a human being, so RIP Terry. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Tjm86

Absolutely gutted at the news.  Long time fan of the gentleman and always enjoyed his work.  He had the human condition absolutely nailed.  That said, as with Mr Hicklenton, his condition would have made his last years unbearable for him and his family so I am glad that they have been spared that pain.

TordelBack

Aye, +1 on Granny. I'd add that I think the (not unrelated) Tiffany Aching books present one of the most remarkable and sustained insights into the reality of growing up and grasping the nature of the world that I've ever read, and puts many 'serious' coming of age novels to shame.  Beneath all the twee puns and rather smug wit Pratchett's world was one of starkly pragmatic morality, and has a great deal to say.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tordelback on 12 March, 2015, 06:29:32 PM
Aye, +1 on Granny. I'd add that I think the (not unrelated) Tiffany Aching books present one of the most remarkable and sustained insights into the reality of growing up and grasping the nature of the world that I've ever read, and puts many 'serious' coming of age novels to shame.  Beneath all the twee puns and rather smug wit Pratchett's world was one of starkly pragmatic morality, and has a great deal to say.

Meh.

Good bloke though.

Karl Stephan

The greatest ascending ape RIP

Spikes

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 12 March, 2015, 05:05:08 PM
...a nice bloke and the World needs nice blokes.

That's why I'm sad.

This.
RIP Mr Pratchett.

Professor Bear

I don't know how to express how sad this makes me.  A huge part of my childhood was enlivened by discovering Pratchett's writing, and years after reading, quotes still return to haunt me.

I still have a couple of his books to get around to, so while Terry's absence is a sad loss to us because of the kindness and charity he displayed in life, his work and the insights and joy it can impart will continue.  Anyone would be blessed to have that legacy.

Bat King

My ex wife read his books. I got a few autographed hardbacks for her. He engendered me when he saw me.

Amazing out of all the folk he saw he not only remembered me but he remembered the dedication 'Is it Happy Anniversary again?' I agreed with a smile and he included '...again' so that the book sod out from the earlier one (there was a 'Merry Christmas' in the one he signed at Odyssey7 so they weren't always the same)

I missed meeting him after my marriage went fubar.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex