Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

My thoughts to the victims of the Brussels terrorist attack.
My thoughts to the Muslim community of Belgium, stay safe.

Heath C Ackley

Another atrocity, another senseless taking of human life, another excuse for those more disposed to hate and ignorance than compassion to point the finger. Deepest respect to those departed and their families and to Brussels as a whole.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

GordonR

More than 40 innocent people died in two bomb attacks on the Turkish capital of Ankara the other week.

Did I miss the RIP thread handwringing over those people's deaths at the hands of terrorists?

Old Tankie

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: GordonR on 22 March, 2016, 10:39:23 PM
More than 40 innocent people died in two bomb attacks on the Turkish capital of Ankara the other week.

Did I miss the RIP thread handwringing over those people's deaths at the hands of terrorists?
Sadly I was only made aware of this the other day myself. It's absence throughout my internet sphere is as startling as it's absence from the mainstream news outlets.

SuperSurfer

Not true, Hawk. Those terrible, tragic events were reported on by mainstream news outlets.

And no one here has mentioned the 150+ Kurds in Turkey recently killed in areas under curfew. In one incident many were burned to death, some of them reportedly found without heads.

TordelBack

I've been seeing large amounts of coverage of the Ankara attacks, although that may be because I once passed out on the Irish Ambassador to Turkey's couch back when he was a lowly Third Secretary and possessed of the first 1 litre beer stein i had ever seen, and thus am unintentionally sensitised to news that involves his patch.  Point being, what catches the eye and makes it to the RIP thread and elsewhere depends on who's looking. It's understandable that attacks at the heart of the EU would attract more attention here. Doesn't mean nobody is paying attention to what goes on elsewhere.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 23 March, 2016, 01:56:14 AM
Not true, Hawk. Those terrible, tragic events were reported on by mainstream news outlets.

And no one here has mentioned the 150+ Kurds in Turkey recently killed in areas under curfew. In one incident many were burned to death, some of them reportedly found without heads.
Apologise SS, I must have overlooked them then. Didn't mean to insinuate anyone was making light of these awful situations.

SuperSurfer

No need whatsoever to apologise Hawk.

So much tragedy unfolds on a daily basis that goes unmentioned. Admittedly one has to look a bit harder to find news coverage depending on who the perpetrators or victims are.

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 March, 2016, 07:43:18 AM
I've been seeing large amounts of coverage of the Ankara attacks, although that may be because I once passed out on the Irish Ambassador to Turkey's couch back when he was a lowly Third Secretary and possessed of the first 1 litre beer stein i had ever seen, and thus am unintentionally sensitised to news that involves his patch.  Point being, what catches the eye and makes it to the RIP thread and elsewhere depends on who's looking. It's understandable that attacks at the heart of the EU would attract more attention here. Doesn't mean nobody is paying attention to what goes on elsewhere.
This also applies to the famous people who appear more regularly on this thread.  There's been a few times when the news of the death of somebody famous has been reported, but whom I've never heard of.  In those cases I would not post the link as it would seem meaningless to me to do so.

I, Cosh

So, am I allowed to mention that Phife Dawg from out of A Tribe Called Quest has died at the no-age-at-all of 45?

I'll refrain from making the obvious terrible joke out of respect.
We never really die.

Heath C Ackley

I'm sorry if you saw my last post as hand-wringing G. I don't often read this thread and so I don't follow what has or hasn't been mentioned before. I just wanted to add my two-penneth worth.  Terrorism is a terrible, ugly fucking thing wherever it strikes.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

JOE SOAP

IAMTHESYSTEM

Well that is very sad news.The entertainment world loses another talented performer. RIP Garry Shandling.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IAMTHESYSTEM

More bad news.Johan Cruyff has met the final whistle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35892775
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla