Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Quote from: GordonR on 22 March, 2016, 10:39:23 PM
More than 40 innocent people died in two bomb attacks on the Turkish capital of Ankara the other week.

Did I miss the RIP thread handwringing over those people's deaths at the hands of terrorists?

Strange you didn't say anything about it at the time.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

The Legendary Shark

People die because of British made bullets and bombs virtually every day. Most of those don't get a mention, either. Then there's all the starvation, dehydration and disease caused by crippling loans from British (amongst others) banks putting interest repayments above human lives. Even less gets said about them.
I'm ambivalent about this thread as it seems to be mostly about how tragic and sad it is when a rich and privileged celebrity dies but ignores the run-of-the-mill daily tragedies of dying children in war zones, for example. On the other hand, every death is a tragedy in its own way. The ones we mourn the most, however, are generally unavoidable. The ones we ignore the most, conversely, are generally avoidable.
I don't mean to be a wet blanket - but this is a thread about death.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 March, 2016, 12:01:11 PM

You're doing it wrong - wet blanket is for Fire.

Boing® is for Death, Hi-Ex for Mortisss, and pretty much barehanded will do for Fear.

Dark Jimbo

I'm ambivalent about this thread as it seems to be mostly about how tragic and sad it is when a rich and privileged celebrity dies but ignores the run-of-the-mill daily tragedies of dying children in war zones, for example. On the other hand, every death is a tragedy in its own way. The ones we mourn the most, however, are generally unavoidable. The ones we ignore the most, conversely, are generally avoidable.

Not everything is a bloody class war, Sharky. It's a place to note the passing of people that might have passed other boarders by; someone that meant something to you, whether that be a musician/writer/etc whose work you liked or someone who was much closer, like a family member. Obviously people's lives are far more likely to have been affected personally by a 'celebrity' than by faceless civilians none of us have met from a part of the world we've never been to. Simple as that.

I really can't see what the point of a grisly 'tally' thread would be - 256 killed in the Yemen today. 32 killed in Syria today. 45 killed in Serbia today...
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

That sounds angrier than I meant it to! Sorry Sharky.
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteObviously people's lives are far more likely to have been affected personally by a 'celebrity' than by faceless civilians none of us have met from a part of the world we've never been to. Simple as that.

I really can't see what the point of a grisly 'tally' thread would be - 256 killed in the Yemen today. 32 killed in Syria today. 45 killed in Serbia today...

I'm with you there.  Johnny Hicklenton's death, for example, is no more important nor tragic than that of a bomb victim in the Middle East; but despite my not knowing him personally, Hicklenton was a part of my life from childhood and he had a profound influence on my life and even my career choice. I believe many could say the same of David Bowie or Lemmy.

Also, I don't think it's altogether immoral to focus more on European deaths than deaths from further afield - it's just human nature.  If a tragedy happens in your own town, you think about it more than one on the other side of the country.  It doesn't mean the local tragedy is more important; it's just that bit closer to home and so you talk about it more.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

No probs, DJ, I understand and agree with everything you said. All the unnecessary death in this world riles me up - and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I certainly wouldn't wish this thread to disappear or even to belittle it.
As to Death, Tordels, all I can say is, "Gaze into the fin of Shark!"
JBC, I am reminded of an exchange between two characters in The West Wing, "Why are American lives more important?" "I don't know, but they are."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 March, 2016, 01:48:19 PM
JBC, I am reminded of an exchange between two characters in The West Wing, "Why are American lives more important?" "I don't know, but they are."

Please tell me that's not what you think I meant.  I know that local deaths are no more important than more distant ones; I just think it's human nature to focus on tragedies closer to home. I thought that was clear from my post; maybe not though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

No, JBC, I don't think that. It was merely an illustration of what you were saying. The loss of those lives we are most familiar with affects us more deeply and more profoundly than those we do not know. That does not make the deaths of those we don't know any less tragic, even though we might not feel that tragedy as keenly.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Apologies, Sharky, I got the wrong end of the stick there.

The Legendary Shark

No apologies necessary, my friend.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

James Dilworth

You must be a right laugh at funerals.

The Legendary Shark

Yep - they laugh so much they end up coffin.
I'll get me wooden overcoat...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fungus

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 March, 2016, 12:43:43 PM

You're doing it wrong - wet blanket is for Fire.

Boing® is for Death, Hi-Ex for Mortisss, and pretty much barehanded will do for Fear.

Lovely stuff.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 March, 2016, 12:48:44 PMIt's a place to note the passing of people that might have passed other boarders by

And on that statement let me sadly bring this back on topic by noting the death of a relatively obscure character but one that is I think vitally important player in the bones of British creative output.

Terry Brain

Veteran Aardman animator and writer - co-creator of Trap Door and heavily involved in Stoppit & Tidyup, two charming staples of 80s childrens television. He doesn't even have a wiki but his imdb page makes for an inspiring read.