Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodigal2

Quote from: Albion on 30 June, 2016, 10:56:47 AM
Gordon Murray, creator of some of the finest children's television ever made.
I've been a fan of all things from Trumptonshire for as long as I can remember.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36670186

Me too.

RIP.

Frank

Alvin Toffler, inventor of the four page comic strip with a predictable ending. He died at the hands of an axe wielding maniac who couldn't get his phone to install the latest updates. He didn't see that coming:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/books/alvin-toffler-author-of-future-shock-dies-at-87.html

Alvin Toffler, the celebrated author of "Future Shock," the first in a trilogy of best-selling books that presciently forecast how people and institutions of the late 20th century would contend with the immense strains and soaring opportunities of accelerating change, died on Monday at his home in Los Angeles. He was 87.

His death was confirmed by his consulting firm, Toffler Associates, based in Reston, Va.

Mr. Toffler was a self-trained social science scholar and successful freelance magazine writer in the mid-1960s when he decided to spend five years studying the underlying causes of a cultural upheaval that he saw overtaking the United States and other developed countries.

The fruit of his research, "Future Shock" (1970), sold millions of copies and was translated into dozens of languages, catapulting Mr. Toffler to international fame. It is still in print.

In the book, in which he synthesized disparate facts from every corner of the globe, he concluded that the convergence of science, capital and communications was producing such swift change that it was creating an entirely new kind of society.

His predictions about the consequences to culture, the family, government and the economy were remarkably accurate. He foresaw the development of cloning, the popularity and influence of personal computers and the invention of the internet, cable television and telecommuting.

"The roaring current of change," he said, was producing visible and measurable effects in individuals that fractured marriages, overwhelmed families and caused "confusional breakdowns" manifested in rising crime, drug use and social alienation. He saw these phenomena as very human psychological responses to disorientation and proposed that they were challenging the very structures of communities, institutions and nations.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Butch on 01 July, 2016, 07:37:18 AM

Alvin Toffler, inventor of the four page comic strip with a predictable ending. He died at the hands of an axe wielding maniac who couldn't get his phone to install the latest updates. He didn't see that coming:

Wow! I feel like the Time is Out of Joint.

Quote from: sheridan on 30 June, 2016, 08:32:41 AM
Alvin Toffler, author of Future Shock, influential in the 1970s culture that first brought us 2000AD.

O! Cursed spite, that e'er I was born to set it right.
We never really die.

Frank

We are now enemies.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Butch on 01 July, 2016, 04:46:06 PM
We are now enemies.
Great news. I've always fancied having my own nemesis.
We never really die.

Trent

Gordon Murray, a true genius. God bless you sir.

Grugz

true...did he do the "life on mars" intro when gene hunt kicked a nonce? or was that just a very good facsimile?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Steve Green

He would have been long retired by then.

Grugz

shame that was my favourite bit in an excellent series
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Butch on 01 July, 2016, 07:37:18 AM
The fruit of his research, "Future Shock" (1970), sold millions of copies and was translated into dozens of languages, catapulting Mr. Toffler to international fame. It is still in print.

So good they even made a scary film of it in 1973...with Orson Welles

Bat King

Robin Hardy aged 86. Director of The Wickerman (1973)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry to hear that. The Wicker Man is a very special film to me.  It may not be the most sophisticated and complex movie ever made but I personally find it profoundly beautiful and it shapes how I live my life (i.e. with as much nature, music, dancing, costumes,  face painting and fire as is possible / healthy / legal).

I like to think they buried him under a skull and crossbones headstone with the corpse of a hare.  Rest in peace.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Something Fishy

Caroline Aherne has died aged 52.  She had breast cancer some time back though it's not confirmed if that is why.

Same age as my wife (who's also had it).  Days like this remind me to appreciate what I have whilst I have her.

Goaty

It was throat cancer :(

Something Fishy

Did she have breast cancer before?