Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

RIP John Hurt, what a great actor. Would have loved to have seen more of his War Doctor, he was great at putting the other two in their place. So many memorable performances.

Greg M.

Hurt played so many remarkable and memorable roles, it's almost impossible to pick out a favourite - Merrick and Caligula would have to be up there, but in the end, it's Quentin Crisp in 'The Naked Civil Servant' which probably edges it. One of the greatest actors ever - I'm not sure we'll see his likes again.

von Boom

RIP Mr. Hurt. A remarkable actor no doubt.

Dandontdare

The image of Hurt bloodstained mouth as Caligula was seared onto my 9 year old brain (I was allowed to stay up and watch I Claudius because I convinced my mum it was educational, but really I was only in it for the blood and boobs).

Elephant man, 1984, Alien, Dr Who - he excelled in all of them. RIP

Hawkmumbler

Much on his more iconic roles has already been said, but if anyone wants to see John Hurt at his best should dig up Little Malcolm and His Struggle Against the Eunuchs. An utterly riveting perfomrance with Hurt at his must compelling. A tragic loss to the cinematic community.

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 28 January, 2017, 12:24:18 PM
Much on his more iconic roles has already been said, but if anyone wants to see John Hurt at his best should dig up Little Malcolm and His Struggle Against the Eunuchs. An utterly riveting perfomrance with Hurt at his must compelling. A tragic loss to the cinematic community.
No idea what that film is about, but the phrase 'in the land of the eunuchs, the little man is king' comes to mind.

Heath C Ackley

John Hurt was a great actor and a man of wit and humour. Respect due and he will be sadly missed.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

TordelBack

Unquestionably one of my all-time favourite actors, even if I did once accidentally annoy him with his family in Dublin Zoo. Every performance was good, even when struggling with nonsensical underwritten bit-characters like Harold Oxley or Olivander, but for today I'm mainly remembering Winston Smith, John Merrick, Caligula and Prof Bruttenholm: now there is range.

CalHab

He was outstanding in The Elephant Man and in so many other roles.

sheridan

We'd seen Watership Down and Spaceballs relatively recently (and I'm not sure where my Alien box-set is right now) so we went for the Black Cauldron.  May turn to the two Doctor Who stories he was in later.

Mardroid

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 28 January, 2017, 09:38:21 AM
Will watch Alien again in his memory. What a career though. He was the perfect Winston Smith in 1984.

Hmm. Good idea. I actually bought the blu-ray set of those films a year or two ago, but haven't gotten around to watching them in that format yet*. Maybe now should be the time to watch Alien...

So Theatrical or Ridley's Director's Cut, I wonder?

And yes, a very sad loss.

*I'd had a couple of DVD box sets before then. Alien franchise is one of the only one's I've triple dipped! In my defence, I sold the old ones.

Old Tankie

He was brilliant playing Jockey Bob Champion.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 January, 2017, 03:34:08 PM
Unquestionably one of my all-time favourite actors, even if I did once accidentally annoy him with his family in Dublin Zoo.

Ok, I'll bite. Explain yourself, sir.
Also: Shit. He was one of the best.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Tords re-enacted the chest-burster scene with a ferret and scared the children.

Something Fishy

Such sad news.   Hurt was brilliant.  RIP.