Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

John Hurt had a great range as an actor. He went from the marginalised; to the deformed; to the oppressed; to the funny; to the sad.  There were ever so many seminal moments in his career but his marked impact as Winston Smith in 1984 rescued that movie.  His portrayal of the utterly amoral Scottish Noble in Rob Roy was also in my opinion one of his finest performances, of which there were ever so many.  A sad passing. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Satanist

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tony Angelino

John Wetton. Lead singer of Asia who were best known for 'Heat of the Moment' and their Roger Dean painted album covers.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 01 February, 2017, 09:40:38 PM
John Wetton. Lead singer of Asia who were best known for 'Heat of the Moment' and their Roger Dean painted album covers.

Not to mention bassist and singer in the stunning 73/74 line-up of King Crimson wot delivered one of my favourite albums of all time, the monumental and haunting Red.

JOE SOAP

Yeah - I generally don't like Prog but I've absolutely loved Red for years and loved John Wetton as a player in that era of King Crimson. He was preternaturally good and very musical; so good it eventually knackered his fingers. The best sounding bass in the universe.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

COMMANDO FORCES

Joost van der Westhuizen the excellent South African Rugby player has passed away aged 45.
He had motor neurone disease and was an amazing ambassador fighting this terrible disease and a true inspiration. R.I.P.

Something Fishy

Very sad indeed.  He was superb.  It was very sad to see his decline.  RIP.

TordelBack

Hans Rosling at 68. One of the more recent additions to my list of all-time heroes, but one of the most important. His work was inspirational and terrifying in equal measure, but ultimately full of hope and purpose. The world should be focusing its finite energies on his crisply defined projections and suggestions, instead of short-sighted sectarian hatreds and the cruel greedy narcissists they empower.  RIP.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 February, 2017, 10:02:03 PM
Hans Rosling ... The world should be focusing its finite energies on his crisply defined projections and suggestions, instead of short-sighted sectarian hatreds and the cruel greedy narcissists they empower.

There's no greater tribute than to say he was entirely out of step with the times in which we find ourselves. What a legacy [1].

[1] If you can't be bothered engaging with the data directly, he gave one of the most famous TED talks ever

JOE SOAP

Richard Hatch of Battlestar Galactica - both old and new.

Tjm86

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 February, 2017, 10:46:06 PM

Richard Hatch of Battlestar Galactica - both old and new.

Just seen this on CBR too.  Currently rewatching the original series.  A quality slice of nostalgia.