Main Menu

Prog 2373 - A crash course in future law enforcement!

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 March, 2024, 10:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 March, 2024, 09:18:41 AMAt least Monster Fun continues to be on the shelves

My step-ma buys Monster Fun and The Phoenix for the grandkids - those lucky dawgs. She reports that they both get read but that Phoenix is the one they obsess over. That's a 8-12 age range, mind.

Perhaps Monster Fun's success was a reason behind Regened's potential fall. Not that it's a zero sum game, but for all I know there's a limit to the talent pool of writers and artists available for gigs like that.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 March, 2024, 06:04:05 PM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 14 March, 2024, 06:03:00 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 13 March, 2024, 12:06:51 PMKind of surprised there wasn't official confirmation in the Nerve Centre that Regened has come to an end (if indeed it has)
Having read all of this thread, are we saying it hasn't actually finished? :eh:
We're jumping to conclusions based on some circumstantial evidence.
Having said that, I wouldn't expect an announcement in the Nerve Centre. I imagine it would be quietly dropped.

(Correctly formatted version, not sure what happened above).

AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

I suppose I'd best review the prog at some point.

Dredd was a nice little upbeat one-off to follow up the grimness of the Maitland story. Wasn't mad about the art though.

The two Kek-W stories are losing me a bit, I'm not entirely sure who is who and what's happening in either - both still lovely-looking and worth the read though.

Thistlebone is great, despite the very slow pace - hats off to creators and Tharg for trying something different and making it work.

FTB is just not my thing, sorry.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Vector14

FTB is my favourite thing in the current prog alongside Thistlebone.

But what are you supposed to do if you have a kid who is a fan of FTB from regened and they are desperate to keep up with the latest episodes?

Rip the pages out so they don't get traumatised by Thistlebone and Deadworld?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Vector14 on 15 March, 2024, 12:04:02 PMBut what are you supposed to do if you have a kid who is a fan of FTB from regened and they are desperate to keep up with the latest episodes?

The first TPB was announced pretty much as soon as the serialised version had finished running, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened this time. Is this question hypothetical, or do you actually know of such a child...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 March, 2024, 06:04:05 PM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 14 March, 2024, 06:03:00 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 13 March, 2024, 12:06:51 PMKind of surprised there wasn't official confirmation in the Nerve Centre that Regened has come to an end (if indeed it has)
Having read all of this thread, are we saying it hasn't actually finished? :eh:

We're jumping to conclusions based on some circumstantial evidence.

Ah righto, sounds like the content of most of Social Media and indeed the current mainstream media.

Very good, carry on, as you were...

Vector14

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 March, 2024, 12:23:24 PM
Quote from: Vector14 on 15 March, 2024, 12:04:02 PMBut what are you supposed to do if you have a kid who is a fan of FTB from regened and they are desperate to keep up with the latest episodes?

The first TPB was announced pretty much as soon as the serialised version had finished running, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened this time. Is this question hypothetical, or do you actually know of such a child...?

Just Hypothetical,and I was being a bit tongue in cheek due to the tonal shift between FTB and the regular strips like Thistlebone.

I've just ordered the first Full Tilt Boogie tpb this week as it was going cheap on amazon and I'm really enjoying the current story, despite not knowing any backstory.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Vector14 on 15 March, 2024, 02:48:14 PMJust Hypothetical,and I was being a bit tongue in cheek due to the tonal shift between FTB and the regular strips like Thistlebone.

You're not wrong about the tonal shift, but the thinking (I suspect... again, no hotline to TMO here) is that kids these days don't actually like serialised periodicals, so anything from Regened that can (could) comfortably sit in the prog gets a run there, before being quickly packaged up into a collected volume, a format which the YA audience much prefers and buys in very large numbers.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Vector14

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 March, 2024, 03:02:57 PM
Quote from: Vector14 on 15 March, 2024, 02:48:14 PMJust Hypothetical,and I was being a bit tongue in cheek due to the tonal shift between FTB and the regular strips like Thistlebone.

You're not wrong about the tonal shift, but the thinking (I suspect... again, no hotline to TMO here) is that kids these days don't actually like serialised periodicals, so anything from Regened that can (could) comfortably sit in the prog gets a run there, before being quickly packaged up into a collected volume, a format which the YA audience much prefers and buys in very large numbers.
I'm sure that's true, as I see a lot of collected editions and graphic novels in the kids sections of book shops but very few serialized comics on the magazine racks. In Ireland I've never seen The Phoenix out in the wild but collected editions of Phoenix stories like Bunny vs monkey are in practically every book shop. It was the opposite when I was young as obviously the idea of graphic novels didn't really exist.

IndigoPrime

Quotebut very few serialized comics on the magazine racks
I mean, what actually exists today? In the UK, I know there are two weeklies: The Beano and The Phoenix. Anything else? Beyond that, Panini still has a few reprint mags that are, IIRC, monthly (unless the Spidey stuff is still fortnightly) and then there's the now monthly Monster Fun. Beyond specials, I can't recall anything else outside of the nursery range.

M.I.K.

Commando, (which probably has limited appeal for that age range), and I think Toxic magazine is still going but I don't know how much comic content, (if any), it currently has in it, (it was reprinting the previous Lew Stringer stories the last I heard, and that was a few years ago).

IndigoPrime

Yeah, I imagine Commando isn't going to appeal to that many kids. As for Toxic, I just had a look on Readly. Its most recent two issues has all of three pages of comics – all reprint from Monster Fun.

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 March, 2024, 07:46:34 PMYeah, I imagine Commando isn't going to appeal to that many kids. As for Toxic, I just had a look on Readly. Its most recent two issues has all of three pages of comics – all reprint from Monster Fun.
Trying to resist the obvious gag about how they should bring back The Driver and Accident Man.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Richard

Richard

If anyone didn't get their copy of 2373, I now have two, first to DM me gets it free.