Main Menu

Novel artwork?

Started by Mudcrab, 27 March, 2002, 07:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

Just been looking at the novel section. Why is it that Savage Amusement(1993) has the same cover as Megazine 4.09??? Is it a reprint that's shown, or is it 9 year old artwork on the cover of the Megazine?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Thread Zero

Oh brother here we go again.:)

The cover was in memory of Dave Bishop as Meg editor.

Inside the control page, at the very bottom, it reads Sunset Now.

Sunset Now means the end of Lamb chop Bishop's tenure as ed. The sun is setting on his career.

And if you look at the picture, you will see the sun low in the sky. A sunset!

See, all makes sense now!

scojo

nathan

Ignore Scojo, he's wrong again! David Bishop was posting here earlier, perhaps he'll enlighten us.

I can only assume it was David's favourite piece of Dredd artwork ever and he wanted it for his swansong. Although the fact that it was used on the front and back covers complete with messy fingerprint smudge and blobs suggests it might have been an emergency cover. Maybe just a money-saving exercise?

N

Thread Zero

Why am I wrong?

Look at the bottom of 3rd page. It says Sunset Now.
Look on the back cover. The sun is setting. It is a goodbye.

Seems obvious to me.

scojo

Mudcrab

Aaaaah, I see, didn't realise that. Very appropriate. I've never seen the novel covers before so that would have been lost on me.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mudcrab

I thought it might have been a response to the suggestion of printing covers without the logo etc that someone suggested here a while ago. Was a damn good idea, having the full print on the back.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Thread Zero

Well according to Nathan, I am wrong.

I guess only Dave knows for certain. But I think the line 'Sunset Now' and the sun near the horizon indicate the end of an era.

But Nathan think this is rubbish.

scojo

Thread Zero

Yeah but the line Sunset Now!

Jesus Funtin Christ. How many times do I have to mention it?

LOL

scojo

Mudcrab

Must be something like that, seeing as Mr Bishop wrote the book with said cover.

However, I shall await the truth from the droid himself.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mudcrab

Yeah yeah yeah, calm yersel' lad. Having the full cover on the back's a separate thing from the reason it's there in the first place.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Thread Zero

I am gonna email him right now and ask him if he could set the record straight.

scojo

nathan

You are wrong because you didn't answer the question Doug asked! He asked why an old paperback illustration was used on the megazine cover. He didn't ask why a picture of a sunset was used on the megazine cover.

Yes the sunset marks the end of Bish-op's tenure, that's obvious, but it doesn't explain why a nine year old sunset was used instead of a new one commissioned.

With respect, Scojey, read the question in future!

N

Thread Zero

You are twisting it, you sly old devil.

Obviously Dave liked the Savage cover as it was his first Dredd novel. The fact that it has a sunset on it, is important too!

If Savage Amusement didn't have a sunset, the Sunset Now line wouldn't make sense, would it?

So that is the reason it was used.

Scojo

Thread Zero

I have lost the will to live.

I have become a sad anorak, spending my life arguing over comic book sunsets.

Grud save me.

scojo officially sad

Thread Zero

Yeah yeah yeah, calm yersel' lad. Having the full cover on the back's a separate thing from the reason it's there in the first place.

You silly moo Doug:)

The sunset is on the front cover too! Top left.

See it?

scojo dying