Main Menu

New 2000AD Covers Blog

Started by Pete Wells, 06 July, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

This weeks' prog cover up nice and early as I'm off on my holibobs! A git big fish head, it's like looking at the wife!

Frank

Happy holidays, Pete. Thanks for sharing this week's fantastic cover and Colin MacNeil's treasure trove of art, but feel free to keep any photographs of your white bits to yourself.

Pete Wells

I thought it was the photos of my purple veiny bits you wanted Sauchie?

Frank

Quote from: Pete Wells on 07 August, 2014, 11:59:26 AM
I thought it was the photos of my purple veiny bits you wanted Sauchie?

You better hope the guy who does your background checks to make sure you're okay to work with kids doesn't know how to use google, "Pete Wells".

Frank

These cheeky bastards have stolen Pete's schtick - previewing next prog's Jake Lynch cover and getting him to explain his working process and inspiration. Lynch's first cover, and his first Dredd too:

http://multiversitycomics.com/previews/exclusive-jake-wyatt-brings-the-color-and-old-school-feel-to-2000-ad-prog-1895-previewinterview/

Steve Green

Proudhuff

Quote from: sauchie post office on 14 August, 2014, 07:20:18 PM

These cheeky bastards have stolen Pete's schtick - previewing next prog's Jake Lynch cover and getting him to explain his working process and inspiration. Lynch's first cover, and his first Dredd too:

http://multiversitycomics.com/previews/exclusive-jake-wyatt-brings-the-color-and-old-school-feel-to-2000-ad-prog-1895-previewinterview/

yet another use of that vague hand-wavey term 'old School', what's the general understanding of that? does it mean; like some wonderful classic style or is it a backhanded compliment, or indeed an insult as in 'old fashioned'?

DDT did a job on me

Fungus

Doesn't look old-school to me, most reminiscent of Willsher's face-bigger-than-the-cover cover a couple of years back? As they say, it's a bit MacNeily from 20-odd years ago, hence 'old-school'???

This invites you to pick an example of the opposite.... what's 'new-school'...? Um, Culbard? D'Israeli? 'Schools' start to sound a bit silly when you try to pin it down...

Loved Jake's comment that he drew 2 hours a week  :) And only now pursues it fully. Good on 'im.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 August, 2014, 07:42:50 PM
"Pete Wells is howay"

I've translated that into Geordie. RE old school: I think the author was just so taken with his observation that the cover looks a bit like it involved an airbrush that he got carried away. If I was making a comparison with artists of yesteryear, I would have gone with Jason Brashill or Jim Murray, rather the incredible Colin MacNeil.

That cover's much different to how I would have expected Lynch's colour work to look. You know the early panels of Henry Flint's fantastic Dead Zone Dredd story in this month's Meg, where he's using painterly textures underneath sweeping black line work? That's how I imagined Lynch would approach colour. Pleasant surprise, though.

Pete Wells

Hew pet, ah'm back awa heeah noo!

I haven't read the piece on Jake's cover yet but I've seen it on my phone and it looks yummy. That article will save me a job but I WILL have to link to it - my OCD demands it! I ain't missed a cover in five years and I'm not gonna now  :D

I'm waiting on Neil Roberts for this weeks' beauty, but from what I understand he's crackers busy at the minute though. I'm very much looking forward to making up his reference photos if he doesn't send any...

Pete Wells

Just read the article and it was GREAT! I hope people get as much of a kick out of my silly blog as I got out of that (not fishing for compliments there fellas, so please don't feel like you have to...)

Frank

Quote from: Pete Wells on 14 August, 2014, 11:07:09 PM
Just read the article and it was GREAT! I hope people get as much of a kick out of my silly blog as I got out of that (not fishing for compliments there fellas, so please don't feel like you have to...)

Kanye West once said he wished he could be one of his own fans, so he could see himself perform. The article above wasn't quite the same as watching you rock the mic, Pete - they forgot all the puns and double entendres which are the highlights of your set.

Bolt-01

That was fun, though not the same as one of yours Pete.

Jake is a definite good guy- and I'm chuffed to bits to see him working for Tharg more and more. His cover for Dogbreath (above) is one of my personal faves and the strip he's just delivered for Zarjaz (did I mention Zarjaz yet?) is hopefully going to be the lead strip.

8-Ball

Quote from: sauchie post office on 14 August, 2014, 08:41:59 PM

If I was making a comparison with artists of yesteryear, I would have gone with Jason Brashill or Jim Murray, rather the incredible Colin MacNeil.

That Dredd image reminds me of Mark Harrison's work on Conspiracy Of Silence from Progs 891 - 894. :o
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Jake Lynch

While not googling my own name (and not discovering that there are a load of Jake Lynch's out there, doing far better than me), I came across this thread...

Thank you for all your kind words, it is truly appreciated.

Pete -
I have always really enjoyed and been entertained by your blog and have regularly dipped into it for inspiration. I also feel I've let you down a little on my first cover. If I can make it up to you, drop me a line...
@ArtDroid_Lynch