Main Menu

"Riddley Walker"

Started by Capt.Zeep, 30 January, 2004, 06:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Zeep

Just read Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban.
Wow!
What a book!
I won't say too much about it, except if you see it, definitely read it.
Any other fans?

Capt.Zeep

And here's a link  (caution on the synopsis:  It's a bit SPOILERy)

Link: http://www.ocelotfactory.com/hoban/riddley.html" target="_blank">Trubba not

Queen Firey-Bou

yeah i snagged a copy, recently , member pals raving, not read yet, will do

Capt.Zeep

Yay tis an awesome book, not too long (tho it took RH five years to write), I couldn't put it down and read it in 3 or 4 days.

Surprised more boarders haven't heard of it, although I hadn't till I picked it up quite by chance in a charity shop - it was published in 1980.

Absolute classic tale of a future dark age, all told in a first-person dialogue in a broken-down English dialect.  Written by Russell Hoban, more famous for his childrens books  ("How Tom Beat Captain Najork and his Hired Sportsmen" f'rexample).

Highly reccommended to all 2k fans and, well, everyone really.

Floyd-the-k

Riddley Walker is brilliant.

yor tern now, my tern later

Quirkafleeg

I've heard of it but not managed to track down a copy... wanna have a look at it first, rather than buy it online etc, as, like Clockwork Orange, or the phonetic bits in Feersum Enjin, I hear it's one of things that you either 'get' or 'don't'

Capt.Zeep

The lingo's not too bad to pick up, it's a doddle if you've ever struggled your way through Chaucer or Mallory.  Order it from your library, they should do that for you.  Otherwise it's well worth buying, shouldn't be too much as it's just the size of an average novel and has been out for ages.  There's a new expanded edition out, with notes and glossary etc. but part of the fun is working out the dialect for yourself.

"Horny Boy rung Widders Bel..."

Z