Main Menu

"I'm a stickler"

Started by Trout, 18 June, 2004, 07:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UZI 4U

Round here the council have provided a blue bin to each household for cardboard and paper. You'd be amazed how many people you see conscientiously putting bin bags full of newspaper,etc in them. Makes you want to shout "But the bag's plastic- you tit!!"
Jim.

Dudley

Round here, the accompanying leaflet with our recycling bin instructs us to use plastic bags to separate out the different parts (cardboard, paper, glass, tins).

I'm a stickler for reading instructions, me.

UZI 4U

Yeah, my mate lives in Surrey and they've got that system, makes you wonder how they sort it all out again though. Wish we had that set-up as our rubbish bin is always chokka with cans and plastic bottles. In fact I have become a stickler for removing bottle tops just so they crush down better when I'm jumping up and down on the bin!
Jim.

Patrick

My work involves lots of individual cardboard files with sheaves of paper stuck in them, held together by a treasury tag in the corner. People punching the hole so far down the page that it sticks out the top, or so far in from the side it gets all scrunched up when you close the file, or just throwing everything in so messily that when they put it back in the cabinet you can't see the file number for pages sticking out... that gets my goat. And as anyone who's visited mt house will testify, I'm about as far from tidiness-obsessive as it's possible to be, so I don't know what's going on there.

And people who don't bother reading to the end of the word. Maybe the file relates to somebody called "Christina" something, and whoever put it on the computer wrote it as "Christine" so it doesn't show up when you search for it. Grr.

People who keep making the same elementary mistake over and over again. I'm sure that Will Cooling on 411mania is  lovely bloke, and many of his opinions are spot on, but he keeps calling the current Chopper artist Patrick "Goodard" and that really winds me up.

And finally, people on the web who write "the" as "teh". Once in a while is fair enough, we can all mistype, but there seem to be people who never spell it any other way, and you start to think MAYBE THAT'S HOW THEY THINK YOU SPELL IT...

Patrick

Queen Firey-Bou

patrick, the teh really annoys me too, cos ever since i got this new laptop it seems to be the only way i can write it..except now of course because i am trying to do it it just wont. Nothing is more bloody annoying than having to shift the curser up the bloody post 17 times for every single teh.. so i'm tending to not bother.

my excuse to day for particular bad spellin is that i have agonisingly....well okay not agonising my rather very painful hacks/splits on two of my main typing fingers, which is hampering my keyboard/till dexterity somewhat.

i also can't be arsed with the shift key, hence i, me, my . pedants bugger off i'm just chatting , its colloquial, get over it.

Bico

'Yeah, my mate lives in Surrey and they've got that system, makes you wonder how they sort it all out again though.'

I'll go out on a limb and say that the lads in Surrey sort the recycling waste in the same way that the council do around these parts (Northern Ireland) - they collect the seperate bins of recycleable waste, then throw it in the same landfill that they throw the regular waste.
I'm not sure why this is, but it makes me wonder why I bother seperating the stuff in the first place. :/

Richmond Clements

Boy, if you're council is doing that, then you should report them.
I work for my council, and can tell you that we don't do that, though we don't sort it either.
Tony and the lads have passed a load of laws that are very soon going to make it illegal to dump any paper or plastic or glass in landfill sites, which is the real reason that your council if panicking towards recyclying.

But like all government ideas, it's been handled in a shoddy way. Like the law passed a couple of years ago making it illegal to dump an old fridge. Great idea in itself, but they never made any provison as to what we should do with the old ones, so you've got mountains of old fridges laying about while we wait for the government to tell us how to dispose of them.

Where abouts are you anyway boy?

Bico

My mate's dad works for the council (so if it's slanderous, I had it on good authority at the time), and he said that the landfill option they excercised was a temporary measure until people got used to using the blue bins and until the council figured out a long-term solution as to what to actually do with the recycleable stuff.  It DID seem that the whole blue bin thing happened overnight, so they might have figured out what to do with it since (he mentioned it about six months ago), but I've never really taken much interest. (Don't get me wrong, though, I DO sort out my own rubbish.  Apart from anything else, it's handy having an extra bin about)  
Our local dumping site (cookstown) has a nice big stack of used fridges, too.

Richmond Clements

We where down in Cookstown last Tuesday, checking out your council's facilities etc.
Have you only got the blue bin then?
Because, very soon, you'll probably be getting a brown one too, for recycling stuff than can be composted, grass, food etc. I wouldn't fancy being on that lorry in the summer.

Noah Angel

"they will redesign the flag with a big red hand in the centre, like something out of 80's visions of the fascist future."

I've always been rather keen on this one... ;)http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/tripage/i/kog.jpg">