Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 July, 2018, 10:51:45 AM
Including Leia at all is a bad idea. I understand that the intention of her being a big part of IX was always there,  but tragedy intervened. Carrie delivered a fantastic couple of scenes at the end of TLJ,   I watch them over and over, moving and uplifting: leave it at that.  Unless it's a holo recording of some inspirational speech,  Leia dies off screen between movies,  move on.
That might be exactly what they're planning, who knows?

JOE SOAP

The agreement was made over a year ago year but Lucasfilm chose to deny it/changed their mind because of a script in flux?

APRIL 8, 2017

Shortly after her passing, Lucasfilm confirmed that they had "no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher's performance as Princess or General Leia Organa" in Episode IX. Now Fisher's brother, Todd Fisher, confirmed that his sister's character will appear in the last trilogy film.

Todd told the New York Daily News that he, along with Carrie's daughter, Billie Lourd, gave Disney permission to use recent footage for the finale, and it is understood that no CGI would be used to recreate Leia.

"Both of us were like, 'Yes, how do you take her out of it?' And the answer is you don't," Fisher said. "She's as much a part of it as anything and I think her presence now is even more powerful than it was, like Obi Wan — when the saber cuts him down he becomes more powerful. I feel like that's what's happened with Carrie. I think the legacy should continue. I'm not the only part in that equation, but I think the people deserve to have her. She's owned by them."

https://deadline.com/2017/04/carrie-fisher-appearring-star-wars-episode-ix-brother-reveals-1202065614/

APRIL 15, 2017

"Sadly, Carrie will not be in [Episode] IX," Kennedy told ABC News from the Star Wars Celebration, where the trailer for Episode VIII: The Last Jedi debuted. "But we will see a lot of Carrie in VIII."

"She's as much a part of it as anything and I think her presence now is even more powerful than it was, like Obi Wan — when the saber cuts him down he becomes more powerful," Todd Fisher said. "I feel like that's what's happened with Carrie. I think the legacy should continue... Both of us were like, 'Yes, how do you take her out of it?' And the answer is you don't."

"[Todd Fisher] was probably confused because we finished everything in VIII, and Carrie is absolutely phenomenal in the movie. We're so happy that we were able to complete shooting in the summer," Kennedy said Friday. "Unfortunately, Carrie passed away. So by the time we were well under way with Episode IX, in our thoughts, we had not written the script, but we've regrouped and started over again in January."

Kennedy noted in a separate interview with Yahoo (via The Playlist) that Fisher's character played a "significant part" in the Episode IX outline, but after the Star Wars team and director Colin Trevorrow reconvened in January following Fisher's December death, they opted to take the story in a different direction. "Given the circumstances, we would not carry on with that," Kennedy said, adding of Todd Fisher's statement, "I have no idea why he said that."

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/carrie-fisher-wont-appear-in-star-wars-episode-ix-lucasfilm-says-124027/

JULY 28, 2018

Todd Fisher, the brother of the late Carrie Fisher, says he "couldn't be more personally thrilled and happy that our Carrie will reprise her role as Princess Leia in the new and final Star Wars Episode IX using previously unreleased footage of her shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Fisher issued a statement today in the wake of announcements that Carrie Fisher would appear in the upcoming film using previously filmed footage.

"As we, her family, as well as her extended family of fans around the world so believe, Carrie's 'Princess Leia is forever entrenched in the franchise and her indelible presence is fundamental to the film," Todd Fisher said.  "J.J. Abrams understood Carrie's iconic role,  and he has masterfully re-crafted this final entry to include this unused  and very last footage of Carrie ever taken, without resorting to CGI or animatronics. Our family and her fans will look forward with great anticipation for this one! Her force will forever be with us!"

https://deadline.com/2018/07/star-wars-digital-appearance-by-late-carrie-fisher-gets-brothers-backing-1202435687/

Professor Bear

There was a story about how they took Carrie Fisher's dog to the Last Jedi premiere, and when Carrie was onscreen talking the dog would become excited.  This was pushed as a feelgood anecdote rather than heartbreaking and possibly cruel.

SIP

I'm sure it's only going to be a token addition, a short scene of her doing her general thing back at hq. I didn't get any emotional resonance from her last scenes in last jedi, so I'm good with her getting a final nod and send off in the last film of the trilogy.

If they were doing any cgi shenanigans, that would be more concerning.

Frank

Steve Green

Moral questions aside, (and since the family have OK'd it...) I'm not sure what you're actually going to get from unused footage from another film.

Some non dialogue shots?

Anything else is going to need some artificial manipulation to get something coherent, surely?

Mentioning animatronics seems a very odd thing to say too.

TordelBack

It's a puzzle alright.  I think it would be a shame if the last we got of Leia was a passive character in the background,  or some sort of manipulated performance from Carrie. I thought her little mini arc at the end of TLJ was great: defiance,  despair,  hope, wisdom and passing the baton.  Seemed like as good a conclusion as we could hope for. Obviously Ben's redemption and their reconciliation was going to be Leia's story in IX,  and there's no way that can happen now,  so a lesser part just seems... sad. I struggle, misty-eyed, with CGI Leia in R1, but part of me loves that single word conclusion (to a problematic film) so much that I think it's worth it. Going forward,  pretty sure further shenanigans would be going too far.

SIP

I would suggest it's just part of the "let's play it REALLY safe" mindset that surely must be at the front of their minds following what has happened since December.

I can only imagine it's a "look everyone, here is leia  at resistance hq, all is fine and she is still working away in the background fighting the good fight against the evil first order....everything is absolutely fine....we didnt kill anyone!!.....now, back to the main characters".

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 July, 2018, 09:41:51 AM
Mentioning animatronics seems a very odd thing to say too.

It's Disney, and it's a Small World.

I assume 'without CGI' means they're not creating a digital mannequin, as they did in Rogue One, but even just changing the background and removing Harrison Ford from shot is going to involve digital technology. I expect Carrie's guillotined head* to float awkwardly above another actor's body, like Oliver Reed in Gladiator. Failing that, Ridley Scott can probably give them Chris Plummer's number.

Also, absolutely everything TordelBack's just said.

* The Walt Disney Corporation having special expertise in the removal of heads and overoptimistic expectations regarding the reanimation of the deceased

broodblik

I do not have much Hope for Episode IX as Disney believe plonking Star Wars on the title screen and adding a number to Episode it is all that is required. The first movie we all rushed to go and see and now where at the point where they have to focus on a proper story and keeping true to the original Star Wars movies to keep people interested. Hopefully I wrong and Episode IX can deliver but I see another rehash of one of the original stories.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 29 July, 2018, 10:57:58 AM
Disney believe plonking Star Wars on the title screen and adding a number to Episode it is all that is required.

I think you mean Lucasfilm - Disney may well believe that, but they don't make the movies. If no-one there thinks any effort is required,  why do they keep changing directors, invest in reshoots,  try new controversial directions, produce beautiful designs and dense webs of visual and thematic reference... Why do I,  a fan of 40 years,  feel so engaged by story and characters in a film series I never really wanted to see,  when at the end of Episode III I felt cold and distanced from the whole thing?  Am I a total schmuck,  to fall for any old shite with Episode Whatever written on it? Or could it be they are delicious bring a product I'm really enjoying?

I'll say it again: I enjoyed TLJ more than any SW since RotJ (or at least since I completed Dark Forces the first time). People didn't,  that's fine,  but I really struggle to see how that movie was just plonking Star Wars on the screen.  That said,  I share fears that the negativity with which its attempts to do new things was met will indeed lead to something safe and repetitive, but in that case it'll be only us to blame.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 July, 2018, 02:50:04 PM
they are Delicious Bring a product I'm really enjoying

There's the name for your new gourmet home delivery start-up.

TordelBack

Yes,  I'm not sure what auto-correct was even auto-correcting there! "Delivering", maybe?

IndigoPrime

I'd echo TB. Plot issues/holes aside, I liked TLJ. I thought it was interesting and opened up new directions. I prefer ESB and SW, but that's probably all. (RO probably on levei pegging.)

TordelBack

Full disclosure,  today it's:

TESB,  ANH,  RotJ,  TLJ,  (CW '03-05),  TPM,  (TCW '08-14)=TFA,  (Rebels), Solo, RotS=R1, AotC, (Droids),  CoC,  (Ewoks), BfE,  THS.

So Episode IX has it all to play for,  really.