Main Menu

Anyone else having a problem with glue? Do I need to worry?

Started by Apestrife, 07 July, 2013, 11:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

A bit missleading title perhaps but anyways: My problem is due to the spine of a couple of my DREDD TPBs.

In some of the books the glue looks like it's loosened a bit, and the last 20 or so pages looks more stuck to the back of the book instead of the spine. Also looks like there's a binding holding the pages together.

The pages still feel sturdy, I don't they'll come off any time soon, but still I got to ask if this is something anyone else has come across? Any need for me to worry more pages becomes like that, or that they'll fall of in time?

Any suggestions on what can be done to fix (besides say buy new ones) or prevent this from happening?

Apestrife

No one else that had this problem?

It always happened when reading close to the end of a book, and then there's a slight cracking sound (as if the glue is loosened).

As said, they hold together. But for how long is that? Any idea anyone?

IndigoPrime

I've not had this with Rebellion trades (yet), but certainly with some others. I tend to 'fold' back both covers along the spine groove to stop this happening with new books.

Dandontdare

as above, not had this with the Rebellion trades, but several of my old Titan books are now loose-leaf folders of pages.

Spikes

Pages coming out/glue problems used to be a fairly common problem with the old Titan books and the early Annuals, but ive never come across a similar problem with the newer TPB.
Maybe your copies have a production error to them, and this is causing the problems? I suppose a 'cracking' sound will just be from the books being read for the first time?

Recrewt

I have had similar issues with books and comics.  Nothing lasts forever and whilst I may kid myself that the 90s were not that long ago - the state of some of the stuff I have from back then tells a different story!

Glue giving up, pages escaping, fading and worst of all .... foxing - yeah, what's that all about?

My view of these things is buy them, read and enjoy them, look after them but don't be surprised if some day in the future they start to show their age despite your best efforts.  Oh, and pretty much nothing can really be done about all this because as I said before: nothing lasts forever!

Apestrife

It's just that it happened a bit too fast. Probably a case of bad luck.

Happened before with 2 or 3 100Bullets tpb (who I now collect as HC) but that was after years, and not as now within a couple of months.

And it just happened to my copy of Day of chaos 4th fraction, one I actually got replaced because of a similar "glue incident", but with last couple of pages hanging out almost half a cm on the lower part of the spine.

Nowhere near as bad as my first copy of 4th fraction, but still a bit annoying since I'v only eyed through the pages a bit when I got my new one. Been saving it to read it together with next weeks endgame.

glassstanley

I've had this with a number of Rebellion trades - usually the thinner ones. Some have gone back for replacement. My copy of Shakkara vol 1 looks like it could be fixed with a Pritt stick.

Worst offender is Thrill Power Overload - in my hardback copy the sections have completely come away from the glue :(

Apestrife

Quote from: glassstanley on 13 July, 2013, 02:12:09 PM
I've had this with a number of Rebellion trades - usually the thinner ones. Some have gone back for replacement. My copy of Shakkara vol 1 looks like it could be fixed with a Pritt stick.

Worst offender is Thrill Power Overload - in my hardback copy the sections have completely come away from the glue :(

In a similar way that it happened after just opening a book a couple of times?

A bit annoying since I don't think I'll be able to get the books replaced where I bought since it's been some months (DoC been out since Feb now for example)

glassstanley

Shakara was after a couple of times. I think the Satan's Island GN arrived with a loose back section, and Total War with a loose front section.