Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 April, 2024, 07:58:26 PMI'm 19 years late to the party but I just finished Rome. Blimey, it's a bit good innit?

Yes. Yes it is.

13th

Doomlord66

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 12 April, 2024, 09:55:21 AMI watched the first episode last night, it nails the aesthetic of the games perfectly - the look, the atmosphere, all spot on. Really looking forward to seeing the rest.

Yes also watched 1st episode last night with daughter for our weekly Sunday teatime watch instead of a film. I've played the games and they were my fav games so know it well and all seems great so far.
Downside is its gonna take me 8 weeks to watch the whole series with her.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 April, 2024, 08:52:36 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 April, 2024, 07:58:26 PMI'm 19 years late to the party but I just finished Rome. Blimey, it's a bit good innit?

Yes. Yes it is.

13th

[Like button]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 07 April, 2024, 07:45:46 PMKeeping the Universal Century wagon rolling (sorry folks, this shits too good) with a first time viewing of Gundam ZZ.

At the a little over the half way point and the 'antagonists' just killed 1/3 of the Earths population by dropping a colony (for the uninitiated (most people reading this) colonies are huge in Gundam and usually home to several million people in their own right) on 'checks notes'...Dublin.
As fucking hilariously specific as that is ZZ is some of the most fun I've had watching a longer form show in years, this shit rocks.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 April, 2024, 08:52:36 PM

Yes. Yes it is.

13th

It really is. One of the best series ever I would say. I watched it twice in  a row back in the day, the second time with the DVD feature that showed captions onscreen explaining the historical basis of each scene.  Never learned so much history in my life.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 April, 2024, 08:57:26 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 07 April, 2024, 07:45:46 PMKeeping the Universal Century wagon rolling (sorry folks, this shits too good) with a first time viewing of Gundam ZZ.

At the a little over the half way point and the 'antagonists' just killed 1/3 of the Earths population by dropping a colony (for the uninitiated (most people reading this) colonies are huge in Gundam and usually home to several million people in their own right) on 'checks notes'...Dublin.
As fucking hilariously specific as that is ZZ is some of the most fun I've had watching a longer form show in years, this shit rocks.

Awesome! Love Tomino and all that Gundam good times. I haven't seen ZZ yet been meaning to, at the time I got the Zeta Gundam box and then watched Char's Counterattack etc. Did a Mobile Suit Gundam rewatch in the past couple years, gonna do Zeta again then ZZ sometime. So many cool series.

Hawkmumbler

Surprised you bypassed ZZ to get to Chars Counterattack, Goatee. Admittedly it's not mandatory viewing to understand CCA, to the point the (allegedly) absolutely dismal Zeta redux films actively write ZZ out of canon, but the impact the Argama crew would have in setting up the events of the movie (and indeed, the entire First Neo Zeon conflict in general) ZZ I suspect will certainly enhance my enjoyment of CCA when it comes to a rewatch sometime next month.

Following that I think I'll be giving the UC a rest for a bit, I'm likely going to dive straight into a 1st time viewing of Seed coming off of the back of how much I loved the Freedom movie. With Seed being probably the single most divisive work of fiction I've ever encountered (genuinely have never met anyone who falls anywhere in between loving the Cosmic Era and hating it) I'm going in with an open mind.

PsychoGoatee

I can explain! :D When I mentioned I got Zeta Gundam with the DVD box, I mean when it came out in 2004! ZZ was not released in English officially until I wanna say 15 years or so later, though there were fansubs, and fan opinion at the time was ZZ was ok/cool but you could skip it. It has risen in status as a fan fav. I've always meant to watch it though, so for sure I'll give it a go on my latest Tomino go. Happy to hear you're digging it!

So much Gundam to watch for sure, and other Tomino shows like Dunbine etc I've meant to see.

Hawkmumbler

Fair! I actually entirely forgot ZZ was just unavailable in the west until about 10 years ago, I'm absolutely speaking from a position of privilege there being able to go through the original run in true sequential order, good time to be alive. Hope you get as mch out of ZZ as I am, it's rightly deserving of its reappraisal.

Dunbine is 'chefs kiss' one of the very best.