Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 May, 2023, 09:26:28 PM...Tiocfaidh is pronounced Chucky.

No, Chucky is pronounced Tiocfaidh, ye feckin' soup drinker!

;)
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

So it turns out that Republicans are being arrested in London before they've actually done owt.   :-X

The Legendary Shark

Not surprising in a state where disagreement is a crime to be cracked down on by anybody with even an atom of power.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JohnW

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 06 May, 2023, 10:17:58 AMNot surprising in a state where disagreement is a crime to be cracked down on by anybody with even an atom of power.
C'mon, Shark.
Just raise your right hand and repeat,
"I swear that I will pay true allegiance to your majesty, and to your heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God."
There.
Feels better already, doesn't it?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

"I swear that I will pay true allegiance to the people of this planet, and to their heirs and successors, according to Common Law. So help me God."

Hm. That does feel better :D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

Moving away from Big Kingy Chuckles for a minute, it's just occurred to me that the bastard spawn of UKIP, Reform, have been completely forgotten about in those local elections of yours.

Which would be reassuring if the likes of Johnson, Patel and Braverman hadn't shifted the tories way to the right in order to mop up the Farage-loving voters.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Funt Solo

Police arresting people for thought crime.

"We are confiscatin' these dangerous blunt weapons wot them woz plannin' on usin' to cause mischief in the region of 'is royal wotsit, innit. God save the man in the 'at."

"This man 'as nefariously suggested that drillin' for oil will 'arm the planet, but my guv'nor Rishi says he makes quite a lot money out of that oil and could we please lock 'im up. No problem, guv'nor!"

An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

JohnW

I'm hazy about how this monarchy thing works.
So...
Do they plough the king into the earth after seven years or do they just let him get older and stinkier?

JayzusB.Christ

A couple of IPAs has got me thinking of how the word 'republican' has very different connotations depending on what country you're from.

Here, as Mr Pops says, it suggests someone who has leanings towards a united Ireland and may possibly have had IRA sympathies in the past, or at least Sinn Féin ones.

In England it's just someone who doesn't see why they should be classed as 'subjects' of some weird rich family that nobody elected.

In the USA, however, the word hints at someone who will do all in their power to fuel even more mass shootings, take away women's bodily autonomy, stamp out even the slightest suggestion that not everyone is 100% heterosexual, and noisily delude themselves that a massive man-child won an election that he clearly lost.

Tjm86

Fair point.  Also, it is the "People's Republic of China."

Now there's a place where freedoms are universal ...

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 May, 2023, 08:10:29 PMA couple of IPAs ...

Had a good squint at the middle letter there

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 May, 2023, 08:10:29 PMHere, as Mr Pops says, it suggests someone who has leanings towards a united Ireland and may possibly have had IRA sympathies in the past, or at least Sinn Féin ones.

"Here" is the North for me, where a republican has a more complex definition, but generally means you completely support the RA. There's even sub-genres such as the pinnies, the stickies and the dissies. They're all usually involved in trading unlicensed pharmaceuticals.

Nationalists are people that want a united Ireland, but don't necessarily agree with the RA's methods of achieving it.

And I was about to start trying to explain Northern Ireland's whole political spectrum, but I caught myself on.