Main Menu

Meg 276 : Rat Attack

Started by Buttonman, 13 September, 2008, 12:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "The Cosh"Dredd was another good episode in a good story. Agree about the art being a contrast of light and shade. It took me a few minutes to realise Dredd was jumping over that canyon; I couldn't figure out why there were three panels of him driving over a bridge.

It's called visual pacing.

Leigh S

surprised noone else has commented, so maybe I have a false memory here, but...

Fink a cannibal?  Isn't that.... movie continuity!?

Buddy

Cover: Very bold and eye-catching, perfect cover-fodder.

I though it was ballix.

A terrible cover, who is that artist?

Trout

Not a bad Meg at all, made better by having a letter in it!

- Trout

Bolt-01

Personally I thought the cover was a good composition, but the wrong style. Pye's lines are too thick and his anatomy too far into the catoony side for me (For this piece- think it would work fine elsewhere)

The Dan Abnett/Colin MacNeil Space War strip was mentioned at Hi-Ex back in Feb. Personally I can't wait for this as Colin always loves to draw War comics.

fireandforget

Cover is dreadful, although I do like the colouring on Dredd's jumpsuit. Really enjoying Ratfink - the silent creeping through the caves is so tense, glad it was given enough space. I've come round to Docherty since the old days but I don't like his helmets.

Enjoying the British comics history, as a mini-Squaxx at the time I didn't know all this was going on. New Tank Girl is great, although I'm not keen on the single colour scheme. Dayglo's art has more of the madcap energy required than Ashley Wood's (still wicked) recent miniseries. Great sound effects, definitely - I love a good "boot!"

Black Atlantic looks like it could be fun. Diverse cast, gothic oil rigs and a couple of nice Abnett puns (flintshock, sharpoon). Text articles were all interesting, personally I like them.

Anderson was pretty good, didn't outstay it's welcome, but Cook's style isn't for me. Anderson looks good (for her age - how old is she these days anyway?) but the assorted 'splodey/meltey heads look half-finished.

And I have to say, I loved Snow/Tiger. There's no character development to speak of, but it moves at such a breakneck pace I didn't mind. Clarke's art reminds me of Travis Charest on WildCATs, which I also loved. And is it wrong to really fancy Snow?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "fireandforget"Anderson looks good (for her age - how old is she these days anyway?)
In her 50s, presumably.

MatthewBadham

Paul Gravett has just posted the full Q&A that I quoted from for my article in the latest Meg' online:

//http://www.paulgravett.com/articles/148_crime/148_crime.htm

The article was about his two new books, The Mammoth Book of Best Crime Comics and The Leather Nun and Other Incredibly Strange Comics (this info' for those boarders who haven't read the article).

Cheers
Matt

+rufus+

Re -  the 'single colour scheme' on Tank Girl...       It's actually a B&W strip, and I'm doing free extra tonework on it, so it looks more complete. (It's due to be collected as a colour TPB next year by Titan Books, so I have to leave reasonably expansive ares for the colourist.)

On the third episode, there's 2 colours... the shock! LOL...

Hope you'll enjoy it nonetheless!

Ruf...

Our Tank Girl website is up and running, with a blog with previews of the new projects and the incredible upcoming Hewlett 'Cream of Tank Girl ' book.  

www.tank-girl.com

WoD

I wasn't expecting to enjoy Tank Girl...but I am...quite a bit.  Nice one.

Mardroid

I succumbed to temptation and bought it again this month.

Cover- decent enough toony looking Dredd.

Dredd- Fair enough continuation considering I missed the start.

Tank Girl- Silly, but in a good way. (To be honest I think it's the kind of think I prefer in small snippets though, but we're only 2 episodes in so far.)

Black Atlantic - My first time with this strip, and so far so good.  Great characters and nice toony art. I like the twist at the end.

Anderson -  Not bad. Again, I'm just catching the end of this having coming into the strip last month.

Text stuff- Some interesting stuff, but I'd prefer less.

Overall I still prefer the format of the prog, but I understand this is it's own beastie. If I continue buying this (I haven't decided yet) it'll be interesting to see how I feel when I read all stories from the start. (I really think they should have treated the format with the bagged comic as a jumping on point. I'm sure they could have stuck in a few one off Future shock style stories, or the Meg equivalent. The Black Museum tales I've read here and there were great.)

Bagged comic- I've yet to read. I'll include my thoughts on it when I do. On my quick perusal, I like the art. I'm also curious that it's a full story rather than a a selection of smaller tales (much as I liked last months Jock Collection - it's good to see the format used this way.)  I'm not keen on the whole anti-terrorist squad idea, but this is purely initial feelings before I've read the story.

Mardroid

OK, I've read the attached comic now.

Snow Tiger - Despite my reservations it was good stuff. Lovely art, as I said above. It was kinda like watching a thriller, except in comic form.... (probably because that's exactly what it is. Point is, it has a film quality to it.) Not particularly subtle, but it's not supposed to be and that's no bad thing.

I didn't expect these little nuggets at the end:

Future shock- Sick. Loved the twist. Good.

Judge Dredd- Again rather twisted (not to mention raunchy, bad robot!) Good stuff.

I wasn't all that taken by the Meg itself this week, but with a couple of good stories and this added comic it was good overall.

Richmond Clements

I loved Snow Tiger at the time and really enjoyed rereading it again.
The art is superb, and the colours from Blythe (from when he still cared) are exceptional.

TordelBack

Be sure now and correct me if I'm wrong (I know how shy you all are about things like that), but weren't those three different judges jumping over that canyon, rather than Dredd in slo-mo?  I'm thoroughly enjoying the flesh-creep that is Ratfink.

Goaty

Sorry it late post, as I just got Meg last friday for train reading... Meg is well good, as Judge Dredd is very nice, so next month will be last?

nice small Graphic Novel of Snow/Tiger, as got it on progs... but nice to kept whole... but one little thing is the highlight;
one of my fave stories, best Future Shock ever "Red Moon" with Kev Walker! brilliant again!!! always love that... and bit f**k up ending. :)