Main Menu

Meg 278 - Duck & Cover

Started by I, Cosh, 08 November, 2008, 09:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Dredd: Very very good, More Al-Edriod please! let's hope he doesn't burn his circuits out to soon.

Tank Girl: Enjoying this especially DeeDee, but we do need Johnny, Tommy and Joey as back up!
Hey Rufus could do a sort of gorlliaz/Monkees/bananasplits type o thing for DaBruddasRamone, how cool would that be?
Anyone wishing to be bored rigid about how I got a Ramones plectrum,narrowly avoided  getting chopped up in a ventilation shaft and actually saw it raining men all in one night ,just buy me a pint of Stella and ask

Black Atlantic: seemed a bit weak and unsure of itself or did i miss something?.

Anderson: Am I getting an Anti -green feeling from the House of Tharg these days?  Pat's anti carbon-police rant then Mr Grant's eco terrorist scare, what next extint animals only have themselves to blame in ol' One Eye?

Text bits: Great stuff here and Pat Mills putting GFD up for sainthood, rightly so say I! The Telly bit was enjoyable but nothing new ( we do good stuff on telly but its just labelled for kids bah!) oh and Ivanhoe gets written off with a throw away comment, Sir Walter wouldn't be impressed  

Canon Fodder: I had hoped this would  be better than I remembered it. But it wasn't it was worse as one story.
It was the first time in ages i found myself growing more pissed off as I read, the question Why? kept on coming back to me after each part of the set up. And a lot of Hows appeared too,  questions never answered I fear. Once they were in heaven it improved somewhat(I remember a night out in London very similar). Even if it had just started with Shirley Holmes and M deciding to kill God then finding Morningstar on his throne it would have been better than the guddle that introduced the story, the faith in God thing was recently used in Red Seas and untilised much better.

Looking forward to the Xmas issue, might just keep it to read on xmas morning if i'm not building a lego Police station or mixing eggnog
DDT did a job on me

W. R. Logan

Dredd was ok, but I think my love affair with the Meg may be coming to an end. Before the full divorce proceedings take place we may go for a trial seperation and some relate counciling before the xmas festivities and see what the New Year brings.

+rufus+

Thank you Proudhuff!

I'd loooove to have all the Ramones, but we only have permission to use Dee Dee ( I knew him and his wife Barbara, and she gave us permission)

We will have more obscure Muso moments, as Alan and I are music geeks... In the last year we've had Mud, Adam Ant and Dee Dee... so we're covering all pop angles...

:-) ruf

TordelBack

That Dredd was downright excellent - a neat little story, well told and cleanly drawn, and Joe himself sounded just right (even if he did seem to go quite easy on the Rookie).  The use of the Family Dredd made it feel a bit Renniesque, which isn't a bad thing in itself, but I thought the way that Rico's specific presence was actually relevant to the story was terrific.   And the Giant/Rico banter made me laugh out loud.  That's 3 for 3 for Mr. E.

radiator

Just read the Dredd so far, and I thought it was excellent. If I had to nit-pick, I'd say that I found the banter between Rico and Giant a little jarring - I've always seen Rico Jr. as an even more uptight, humourless version of Dredd, but then I suppose that doesn't give a writer much to play with.

For anyone wondering about the rest of the contents of the Canon Fodder GN, its Judge Dredd: Rest Stop, by Weston/Rennie from prog 1194, and Pulp Sci Fi: Feast of Skin by Smith/Weston from prog 1163. I must say I'm still really enjoying these (despite Snow /Tiger being a bit poo).

Next month's is called Judge Dredd: Season's Beatings, and looks to feature the Dredd's I mentioned above, as well as a Cal-Hal Justice(!) New Year special, and a Tharg the Mighty one off.

The Monarch

Cal hab justice?!?

Really never thought we would ever see any of those again

Proudhuff

Quote from: "+rufus+"In the last year we've had Mud,

Mud, My first gig- 1973!

Mrs Huff on the other hand always trumps me with her first gig: Junior Walker and the All stars  :mrgreen:
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Good Meg.

I have to admit, there were a couple of issues a few months ago that never actually made it out of the envelope, so great was my apathy for the contents.

This month, though,  I enjoyed all the strips ... the Ewing droid is definitely showing more promise on Dredd than many more experienced 2000AD writers and I hope for many more stories of the quality he's delivered so far.

I particularly enjoyed the Gerry Finlay-Day piece. I won't say I was convinced by the arguments put forward, but it was nice to read such an active and spirited defence of GFD's contribution the the Galaxy' Greatest. The additional context of GFD's career was particularly fascinating.

(I'm starting to suspect that Pat Mills has just written a programme to spit out variations of the same old shite whenever called upon to contribute to this sort of piece, however.)

I'm not sure what mix of contents made this issue work for me, but something is right here that hasn't been up until quite recently. If Mr Smith is reading this: good work, sir. More of the same, please!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Grant Goggans

I misread that to think that Calhab Justice was coming back instead of just reprinting a one-off.  Well, the double-take I did must have been a sight, as I'd have lost all kinds of money on that bet.

The Monarch

you and me both mr goggans you and me both

Rio De Fideldo

V excited about Christmas Collection next month.

I've only been suggsting it for the past three years.

//http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15029

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "radiator"Just read the Dredd so far, and I thought it was excellent. If I had to nit-pick, I'd say that I found the banter between Rico and Giant a little jarring - I've always seen Rico Jr. as an even more uptight, humourless version of Dredd, but then I suppose that doesn't give a writer much to play with.

Yeah, Rico's character was the only thing that jarred a bit. In Sector House he's as grim and taciturn as Dredd, to the point where Dredd himself, of all people, has to tell him to loosen up a bit and remind him that they're only human! Still, a great tale all the same, and always nice to see Paul Marshall on art duties.
@jamesfeistdraws

soggy

Quote from: "Dark Jimbo"Yeah, Rico's character was the only thing that jarred a bit. In Sector House he's as grim and taciturn as Dredd, to the point where Dredd himself, of all people, has to tell him to loosen up a bit and remind him that they're only human! Still, a great tale all the same, and always nice to see Paul Marshall on art duties.

How many years ago was Sector House. Maybe it's the feared Character development. :)

TordelBack

Hmmm, the various Rico/Dolman/Vienna stories have shown a more human side of Rico II, or at least shown him as far less isolated than Uncle Joe - admittedly starting from the point in Sector House where he was completely isolated.  The banter with Giant II (his senior) wasn't that different from what Dredd has indulged in from time to time.  It was also a pretty clever joke about being genetically suited (although Giant II isn't a clone).

Normally I'd be the one bleating on about how the characters didn't sound right in a non-Wagner strip.  Not this time.

worldshown

Quote from: "radiator"Just read the Dredd so far, and I thought it was excellent. If I had to nit-pick, I'd say that I found the banter between Rico and Giant a little jarring - I've always seen Rico Jr. as an even more uptight, humourless version of Dredd, but then I suppose that doesn't give a writer much to play with.

I think I get what you mean with the banter. It's not so much the banter itself, it's that line about 'which of us speaks with the 90s retro jive' that made me think 'how would Rico know how Giant senior spoke'. I can't see Dredd telling him that.

As for Rico being uptight and humourless, well he overlooks Vienna's tea supply and he pretty much introduced Dolman to her for a cheap laugh.

Back to the strip itself, I thought the two tales intertwined brilliantly and I look forward to seeing more of Al's Dredd as he clearly understands the character and MC1 better than most.