Main Menu

MEG 285 - True Brit.

Started by Pete Wells, 26 May, 2009, 11:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakara

I was terribly sad to see Worley's last article. I know the 'movie reviews' spot isn't the most vital piece of the meg...but I always thought Worley summarized opinions very well. Since I went to see Beowulf months back and was speechless.

"I HAVE AN OPINION" My brain screamed.

"fair enough, what is it?" I inquired.

However the brain went silent. Only enlivened again with the consumption of comics. When I came across the Beowulf review I remember the old brain going "THAT WAS IT!" and we danced.

Me and my brain danced thanks to Alec Worley. What a wonderful night.

Aside from that the meg can't really do much wrong, relevant articles, COLIN WILSON on Dredd (whose very name merits capital letters), Mr Davis-Hunt possibly loosening up his style which has GOT to be a good thing, Mr Dayglo clearly in his element in Tank Girl (which I'm fairly indifferent to, but it's like The Boat That Rocked, y'know, everyone's having so much fun it's hard to be cynical about it), and the return of Mr Stone who seems to be the most cocky man alive if his interview's to be believed.

Also - Sean Phillips?! When did THAT get requisitioned? I love it when the old 2kad gods raise their mighty hands and do little covers and whatnot. It's like they're sprinkling blessings from on high down to us lowly mortals. I, for one, lap them up. As we all should.

Finally - John Higgins, that man can paint. Nuff Said, surely?

Robin Low

Quote from: "Buttonman"Long, and that's possibly too long, Richard Elson piece which was OK but did contain the line "Cartoony is an ugly word used by people with ugly limited vocabularies". No it's not it a word used to describe something with the look or style of a cartoon. The superiority and twatishness of that line fair got my gander up.

Er, dander, not gander.

But otherwise, what you said. It's always a tragedy when a chap whose adequately spongy draughtsmanship makes pompous unwarranted assertions regarding the merits (or lack thereof) of one's vocabulary, when all one is attempting to do is draw a simple and easily comprehensible comparison between two art styles.

Or, to express the sentiment in a less verbose manner: Richard, you're a tit.

Regards

Robin

Buttonman

No gander. I had my goose on my forklift truck and the comments made caused me lash out and hit the 'elevate' button.

Pretty sure it was Micheal Molcher who made the comment rather than Richard Elson. He's obviously doing a bit of suck up while  taking a snooty view over we mere mortals, who buy the thing and get talked to like it's us who are the twats.

Robin Low

Quote from: "Buttonman"No gander. I had my goose on my forklift truck and the comments made caused me lash out and hit the 'elevate' button.

I should have guessed.

QuotePretty sure it was Micheal Molcher who made the comment rather than Richard Elson.

Oh dear, I'll edit as soon as I find the appropriate button. Apologies to Richard, whose adequately spongy draftsmanship I do actually like.

Regards

Robin

Matt Timson

Quote from: "Buttonman"Pretty sure it was Micheal Molcher who made the comment rather than Richard Elson. He's obviously doing a bit of suck up while  taking a snooty view over we mere mortals, who buy the thing and get talked to like it's us who are the twats.

Well, to be fair, some of you are.
Pffft...

vzzbux

The first thing I read was the Higgins supplement, always been a big fan of his work.
I thought the art standard of the first story was far better than the last though.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Buttonman

Quote from: "Matt Timson"
Quote from: "Buttonman"Pretty sure it was Micheal Molcher who made the comment rather than Richard Elson. He's obviously doing a bit of suck up while  taking a snooty view over we mere mortals, who buy the thing and get talked to like it's us who are the twats.

yer ma

Proudhuff

Children, children....

Buttonman stop stroking your long necked goose and crank up that spreadsheet, you know the one without your name on it? Time for the six monthly review of letters I feel!
DDT did a job on me

The Monarch

Wow I just realised I've been so busy with other things that I haven't written into 2000ad for months!

I'll have to fix that problem....

wrly_bird

QuoteI was terribly sad to see Worley's last article.
Don't worry, Shakara. I'm not going anywhere. I'm still writing features for the Meg, albeit on a more irregular basis. (I've also got a Terror Tale coming up over at 2000AD!)
   The chap who's taking over the film column from me - Andrew Osmond - is a much more accomplished film journalist than me. He writes regularly for the likes of Empire and Sight & Sound and really knows his genres.
   Please give him a warm welcome, boarders...

dweezil2

Quote from: "Matt Timson"

I'm all for healthy constructive criticism, but sometimes comments towards creators are downright nasty. It's not suprising so many artists and writers fuck off to America, where they get a bit more respect.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Roger Godpleton

[spoiler:18yzg7gj]It's not suprising so many artists and writers fuck off to America, where they get a  bit more respect.[/spoiler:18yzg7gj]

Do you have any proof for this statement whatsoever?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Richmond Clements

Quotewhere they get a bit more money

I think it works better like this..!

WoD

Quote from: "Buttonman"Had a quick check, the following people are included in a group of around 250 who have limited and ugly vocabularies:
WoD

Hang your collective heads in shame!

You're right you know...I did use that when defending Timson's 2nd distinct art style when some prat accused him of having little talent...I'd forgotten about that.

Old Tankie