Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Hookjaw vs. Silo Round 2 Heat 95

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 April, 2022, 06:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So as we enter the second half of the tourney energy is no doubt flagging. We're all getting a bit sick of this nonsense and wondering can it possibly keep up the excitement and is it all just a bit too ... BOOM!... Hell the first full week of the second half of the tourney reminds us why we're here with a BLISTERING start and to be frank the quality just keeps on coming. WOW if energy was flagging the ties this week will bring us right back into the zone

Fascinating tie this one... yep copy and paste from yesterday this is the other tie I just can't call. Both are great, but not universally well received one-off horrors. Both draw strongly from past tales - all be one a movie (or two). So yeah which way will you call this one?

Hookjaw - more info

Vs

Silo - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday April 10th and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Silo was too derivative of The Shining and Die Hard. And no, a killer shark isn't the most original idea either, but it's proved its longevity.

Hookjaw.

Magnetica

I have never read the original Hoojaw in Action, apart from the episode in the duplicate edition, given as a subscriber free gift a year or so ago.

But I tend to, probably totally unfairly,  lump it in with Shako and Flesh as having a premise of: "have a monster going round eating as many people as you can get away with every week, without getting your comic cancelled."   (Unfair to all of them, that is.)

I'm sure Silo should be really topical right now. But wait a minute.... it's by Mark Millar, whose 2000AD work was....let's say not something I enjoyed.

And actually, the Hookjaw series in 2000AD turned out to be so much more than I have just described it as. So it gets my vote here.

IndigoPrime

New Hookjaw. Imperfect but an interesting take with some solid horror moments. (Silo was OK, given who wrote it, but horribly derivative.)

Blue Cactus

Presumably this is just for 2000AD Hookjaw which is new Hookjaw so I'm voting Hookjaw. This was a new series I wasn't expecting any surprises from, and it surprised me week after week. What a weird series - wouldn't mind seeing an equally surprising follow up!

GordonR

Hookjaw because of how much it seemed to wind up the Cornish racist contingent of the readership at the time.

Barrington Boots

Hookjaw was a great horror story, would be a worthy winner here.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: GordonR on 07 April, 2022, 09:29:39 AM
Hookjaw because of how much it seemed to wind up the Cornish racist contingent of the readership at the time.
"It was different from the black and white strips about a shark eating people that I read in the 1970s! WAAAHHHH!"

GordonR

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 April, 2022, 10:30:36 AM
Quote from: GordonR on 07 April, 2022, 09:29:39 AM
"It was different from the black and white strips about a shark eating people that I read in the 1970s! WAAAHHHH!"

His main objection was that it was 'unrealistic' because one of the characters in it was a POC, and (true enough) Cornwall has a tiny non-white population.

Weirdly, he didn't complain the magic ghost shark was unrealistic, and not a real thing.  Just the black character.

He then went on to moan about wokeness just before he was shown the door by the group mod.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Hookjaw, without a shadow of a doubt. And please Tharg- book two?

SBT

Link Prime

Hookjaw re-imagined failed to land for me - I'll side with those social media villains and Commandant Mark Millar for this one; Silo.

AlexF

Didn't realise Hookjaw was a one off, assumed it was coming back for more witchy weirdness! I will say that Silo has great atmosphere and is pleasingly easy to follow until the last episode, which ends in a classic Millar decides the 'hero' is just going to win bit of poorly plotted nonsense. Hookjaw required more work of me as a reader, but it's more rewarding, too.
Hookjaw pls.

rogue69