Main Menu

PSN security seriously compromised

Started by GordonR, 26 April, 2011, 10:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

The online Playstation Network has been down for the last 6 days. Sony have finally come clean about how serious the problem is - they've had a major security breach, and PSN user info - possibly including credit card details - has been compromised.

Quite simply, they may be rather deeply fucked.

If you're registered with PSN, you may want to read this. Fairly urgently.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-26-psn-users-personal-details-compromised

Now I'm off to X-Box Live, as usual...

JOE SOAP

radiator

What a nightmare.

Gonna cancel my debit card and change a few passwords. Luckily I have just switched my current account to a different bank, so just need to speed the process up!

radiator

I've cancelled the debit card I registered with, and I'd suggest all others with PSN accounts do the same. The phone lines are really busy because of all the people scrambling to do the same - had to wait half an hour on hold.  >:(

Mardroid

I believe I registered my card with them too. I only used it to buy credit* for one comic for the PSP!

I won't cancel it just yet but I'll keep an eye on my credit card outgoings.

*You have to buy credit to buy stuff on their shop. Kinda struck me as a bit redundant, but there you go.

Professor Bear

I wouldn't be too quick to think XBL is a safe alternative - if Sony can be hacked, Microsoft's "liberal" approach to bug-testing, firewalling, and market-readying their products does not inspire me, either, especially since XBL has been heavily modelled on PSN.  On the plus side, this has at least resulted in a much nicer XB dashboard and menu system compared to the launch model - now all they need is a controller with a digital pad that isn't utterly useless and they'll be getting somewhere.

I suspect this is simply hackers catching up with the technology, proprietary network or not, but if Shark doesn't mind me hijacking his conspiracy-therorising, this could be Sony trying to rustle up consumer panic to justify Interpol tracking down the kids responsible for what has actually been a large-scale Denial Of Service attack, as at this stage the company has less to lose from customers believing the network being down is Sony's response to the kind of organised and inevitable security concerns that plague most businesses than it does admitting that a load of disorganized kids brought their network down for nearly a week on a whim.

Bloody annoying either way - I can't update me cheevos and I just went platinum on a couple of games.  HOW WILL I DISPLAY MY TRIUMPH IN LIFE NOW, SONY?

John Caliber

Take up boardgames and roleplaying games instead - sometime the old ways are better.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Professor Bear

I've had a look on t'web and more informed opinions than mine seem to suspect this is less protecting customer's information on Sony's part and more their trying to shore up their online shopping/DLC support against freeloaders and securing the PS3 OS against homebrew enthusiasts - the latter eventually leads to enabling piracy, the former apparently already a rampant practice across PSN and XBL both, though with Microsoft willing to chalk it up as something they have to address in real time rather than burning down the house as Sony seem to be doing.

radiator

I've heard similar conspiracy theories and don't buy it - If that were the case, then why wouldn't they just admit it? Surely that would be preferable to the PR shitshorm they're currently in the midst of?

Professor Bear

Admitting you want to withdraw your free online gaming service from over 70 million people for a fortnight while you protect your shareholder's bottom line?  I think that's a harder sell in the current climate than "hackers done it, like what the Daily Mail, the Sun, Sky News and FOX keep telling you they do all the time."
Sony have waited over a week to tell people their personal information was compromised - to me that leaves it a bit late to play the "we're concerned about our customers" card and still have me believe it.

Mardroid

Quote from: Professah Byah on 30 April, 2011, 02:28:05 AM
Sony have waited over a week to tell people their personal information was compromised

True. I got a message just a couple of days ago. I found out about it first reading this thread!

Not that I think they're lying, but they should have been more prompt. Mind you I imagine there's LOTS of customers to tell, so it's not all that surprising. That being said I received the email shortly after I tried to access the Playstation Store with Sony Media. (Not to buy anything, mind, I was just curious to see if it was accessible. (It wasn't.)) I hadn't been on in quite a while, which makes me think maybe they just didn't consider me worth telling.

On the other hand it could have just been a coincidence.

radiator

QuoteAdmitting you want to withdraw your free online gaming service from over 70 million people for a fortnight while you protect your shareholder's bottom line?  I think that's a harder sell in the current climate than "hackers done it, like what the Daily Mail, the Sun, Sky News and FOX keep telling you they do all the time."

I don't think so - a simple press release and apology - "service will be disrupted for a week or two due to vital maintenance work" etc etc would no doubt cause a bit of moaning, but would be infinitely preferable to the fallout the current situation is causing.

vzzbux

So glad I don't use PSN for buying stuff.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Professor Bear

Quote from: radiator on 30 April, 2011, 12:55:33 PMI don't think so - a simple press release and apology - "service will be disrupted for a week or two due to vital maintenance work" etc etc would no doubt cause a bit of moaning, but would be infinitely preferable to the fallout the current situation is causing.

I disagree - their current stance is that this is beyond their control to a certain extent and they are, in fact, doing their customers a huge favor.  The reasons they've given come with a certain amount of implied victimhood that wouldn't be there in a press release telling 70 million people they have to go without online gaming for a while until Sony stops a few hundred people getting access to free copies of Angry Birds.