Main Menu

Completely bizarre filler text in The Pit

Started by Dirty Sanchez, 24 April, 2002, 12:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Sanchez

(delurk)

I was reorganising my 2000ad collection recently (read: stuffing them in the attic) and got badly sidetracked when I started reading the damn things over again. Anyway, in the Dredd story in prog #990 (The Pit: Last Rites) my pathetically straining eyes were drawn to the blurry copy in the newspaper on the first page (The Pit Bull). I could pick out a few words here and there and none of it made much sense at all, until eventually I'd deciphered a complete phrase, which I then plugged into Google out of curiosity. My search returned the following text, which matches the copy in the comic:

"Sharon twisted her ponytail absently. She didn't know a Jessica ... But she did know a Sandy, worse luck. They had been best friends at Rydell High until Sandy stole her boyfriend. Danny was such a rat! She sighed in remembrance. It was a world away from this mysterious garden and the cartoon rabbit. (How did she get here? Last thing she remembered she'd been in a Chrysler, as big as a whale, heading down the Atlanta highway, looking for a love getaway.) She was ...
"Of course" said Sharon in a disappointed voice "it's entirely possible that nobody will recognize me. After all" ... she eyed the cartoon rabbit quizzically ... "I'm merely a thinly disguised pastiche on one of literature's most famous women."

She walked towards the grassy knoll in the center of the grounds, still wondering where on earth she'd seen the rabbit before. He wasn't wearing a top hat this time. And shouldn't he have been a real live rabbit? It made little difference to the puzzle ... "

Now, according to my search results, these are the only two paragraphs of this story anywhere on the net. Does anyone, Sullivan and Frame included, have a clue where this came from and what the flipping blink it is? It's going to gnaw at me for yonks if I don't find out.

Cheers.

paulvonscott

No idea, but you do find sometimes that people use certain pieces of non-copyrighted text for filler articles in sample documents.  It could be one of those.  That's all I can winkle out of my brain, otherwise no idea.

DavidXBrunt

Bizarre. 'Grease' crossed with 'Alice in Wonderland'. Maybe if you typed them in various combinations you'd get something. I bought that issue today so I'll have a quick decko later.

kertap

This is a long shot. So long I'd need an AWP to hit it I'd say but my guess is it has something to do with Roger Rabbit.

But then again I'm an idiot.

DavidXBrunt

The Roger Rabbit thing is interesting. Also it might be worth your while looking for web-sites that have stories about bands. Such as the B-52's.

Dirty Sanchez

The implication that this might be part of a fanfic involving a Grease/Roger Rabbit/B-52's love triangle has just killed my curiosity stone dead. I'm not THAT inquisitive. I may be vaguely nerd-esque but fanfic writers are genuinely frightening.  

Thank you for the assistance, gentlemen.

davidbishop

I can say the relevant text is certainly nothing to do with the editorial team, IIRD.

If it's a Lee Sullivan episode, that would make more sense. He peppered The Pit with all sorts of obscure oddities, including cameos and references to Jarvis Cocker, Oasis, Roxy Music (the man with the saxophone in the Sector House) and Dr Feelgood.

Dark Jimbo

Reading through the Pit for the first time in Case Files 25, I was about to ask whether anyone knew where the truly surreal filler text on the Last Rites episode was from but I see it cropped up once before. I was feeling very pleased with myself for having deciphered most of it, only to find the full text is already here!

Quote from: Dirty Sanchez on 24 April, 2002, 12:17:35 AM
My search returned the following text, which matches the copy in the comic:

"Sharon twisted her ponytail absently. She didn't know a Jessica ... But she did know a Sandy, worse luck. They had been best friends at Rydell High until Sandy stole her boyfriend. Danny was such a rat! She sighed in remembrance. It was a world away from this mysterious garden and the cartoon rabbit. (How did she get here? Last thing she remembered she'd been in a Chrysler, as big as a whale, heading down the Atlanta highway, looking for a love getaway.) She was ...

"Of course" said Sharon in a disappointed voice "it's entirely possible that nobody will recognize me. After all" ... she eyed the cartoon rabbit quizzically ... "I'm merely a thinly disguised pastiche on one of literature's most famous women."

She walked towards the grassy knoll in the center of the grounds, still wondering where on earth she'd seen the rabbit before. He wasn't wearing a top hat this time. And shouldn't he have been a real live rabbit? It made little difference to the puzzle ... "

Now, according to my search results, these are the only two paragraphs of this story anywhere on the net.

Well whatever link Dirty Sanchez found 13 years ago is long gone - this thread is now apparently the only place on the 'net where that text exists. And I was convinced it must have been cribbed from a book, but apparently not. So I'm none the wiser - in fact I'm more baffled then ever!
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 13 September, 2015, 10:49:06 PM
Well whatever link Dirty Sanchez found 13 years ago is long gone - this thread is now apparently the only place on the 'net where that text exists.

I don't have any more of a clue than you, but obviously my copy of Google works better than yours:

http://serif.punster.info/temp/cushytest/

http://stare.com/1998/period01.html (13th January)

M.I.K.

It might be from one of the Roger Rabbit books, which are quite a bit different from the film.

The Adventurer

Who Censored Roger Rabbit? is an odd book. But I don't recall that passage off the top of my head. I've not read Who P-p-p-plugged Roger Rabbit? or Who Wacked Roger Rabbit? So I can't say if it appears in either of those.

My guess is that it doesn't come from those books, as a google search would have probably brought them up.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

Given the highly suspicious 'found text' context  asserted in Butchie's link, is it not likely it's just an early piece of copypasta written and propagated by the 'conceptual artist' Rinehart?