Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

It you read the news stories of the time, then it's obvious there was a major changing of the guard at IM Global, with new management doing a 180 degree pivot away from investment in film & TV production, and back toward the less risky areas of distribution.

judgeurko

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 March, 2021, 09:47:01 AM
Quote from: judgeurko on 30 March, 2021, 08:48:37 AM
There should have been something more concrete in place then before the initial announcement.

And yet, somehow, now you're demanding news even if there's none?

I have a suspicion that there was a Night of the Long Knives at IMGlobal (there was certainly a major management reshuffle) and whoever was on the inside and enthusiastic for the MC-1 series was suddenly on the outside, replaced by someone with literally no motivation to make their predeccesor's projects a success.

If that's what happened (and, as always, I have no inside info) and Rebellion took on good faith the enthusiasm of a senior exec to make the series happen, only for that exec to be unceremoniously ousted, then surely you can understand the added caution over announcing any developments after that?
When exactly did I "demand" anything?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: judgeurko on 30 March, 2021, 02:45:22 PM

QuoteAny update? This is getting silly now.

OK, maybe "demand" is the wrong word. Your quoted text above speaks, at least, of impatience and irritation with the situation, which in turn suggests some sense of... entitlement to an update. If that's not how you meant it, I'm happy to apologise for mis-reading your intended tone.

You seem to think the lack of updates is "silly" but people with better knowledge of how these things work than I have spent a page or so explaining how these things work, so perhaps you'd be better off engaging with those explanations than nit-picking semantics with me.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

Personally, I'm happier with no news than the announcement that it's been killed dead. The MC-1 website is still there as a placeholder so I find that encouraging. The wheels may turn slowly, but they will turn, I think.

Funt Solo

Jason Kingsley has a shiny helmet, also:

Perhaps if he spent less time polishing his helmet and more time making the Mega-City One show etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I think I can safely say, without a trace of irony, a fella who rides a horse dressed as a knight is exactly the type of person I want to be in charge of the House of Tharg (apart from Tharg, of course, who surely bestowed the knighthood on Sir Jason in the first place).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 March, 2021, 10:48:59 PM
I think I can safely say, without a trace of irony, a fella who rides a horse dressed as a knight is exactly the type of person I want to be in charge of the House of Tharg (apart from Tharg, of course, who surely bestowed the knighthood on Sir Jason in the first place).

Vastly preferable to a multinational company who only bought 2000AD as part of a job-lot when what they really wanted was the Disney licence.

Also gratifying that Jason reads the stories the same time the rest of us do instead of using director-of-the-company privilege to get sneak peeks.

judgeurko

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 March, 2021, 02:54:39 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 30 March, 2021, 02:45:22 PM

QuoteAny update? This is getting silly now.

OK, maybe "demand" is the wrong word. Your quoted text above speaks, at least, of impatience and irritation with the situation, which in turn suggests some sense of... entitlement to an update. If that's not how you meant it, I'm happy to apologise for mis-reading your intended tone.

You seem to think the lack of updates is "silly" but people with better knowledge of how these things work than I have spent a page or so explaining how these things work, so perhaps you'd be better off engaging with those explanations than nit-picking semantics with me.
I am not nitpicking semantics, I'm nitpicking being misrepresented. But thanks for telling me what I'd be better off doing...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: judgeurko on 01 April, 2021, 07:49:30 PM
I am not nitpicking semantics, I'm nitpicking being misrepresented. But thanks for telling me what I'd be better off doing...

OK. You're saying I misread your tone? Then I apologise for that — you weren't demanding anything. Tone is difficult to judge in text-based media, and I clearly got this wrong. I'm sorry.

I still take issue with your assertion that the situation is "silly" for all the reasons that others have explained, though.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

I'm watching the George Floyd murder trial, and I'm wondering if this series will still get made, because there will probably be less demand than there would have been a year ago for a tv series about a cop who summarily executes people without trial.

Smith

Quote from: Richard on 01 April, 2021, 10:31:30 PM
I'm watching the George Floyd murder trial, and I'm wondering if this series will still get made, because there will probably be less demand than there would have been a year ago for a tv series about a cop who summarily executes people without trial.
They cancled Paw Patrol,I don't think JD stands a chance. Which is a sentence I never expected to say,but here we are.

Funt Solo

Oh, cabbage-patch-dolls! How often does Dredd actually just casually off a cit? I mean, when Grant isn't writing it solo. It's usually a matter of a life-and-death shoot out kind of thing like you see in nearly every action-type show about a masked enforcer ... like ... The Mandalorian! Which they made work by having all the gooshy stuff happen off screen.

Template for good Dredd: mix equal parts The Mandalorian with Bosch and sprinkle liberally with Hill Street Blues.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

judgeurko

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 April, 2021, 08:15:16 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 01 April, 2021, 07:49:30 PM

OK. You're saying I misread your tone? Then I apologise for that — you weren't demanding anything. Tone is difficult to judge in text-based media, and I clearly got this wrong. I'm sorry.

I still take issue with your assertion that the situation is "silly" for all the reasons that others have explained, though.
Apology accepted.

Goosegash

I'd say there's surely no more appropriate time for a really vicious satire of authoritarianism and police brutality.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Goosegash on 05 April, 2021, 10:43:52 AM

I'd say there's surely no more appropriate time for a really vicious satire of authoritarianism and police brutality.

Definitely.