Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeks

Quote from: von Boom on 18 May, 2017, 03:39:05 PM
Is that Rob Schneider? You want Walter voiced by Rob Schneider? *shudder*

Chris Eubank to voice Walter..you heard it here first  :lol:
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

SuperSurfer

Quote from: von Boom on 18 May, 2017, 03:39:05 PM
Is that Rob Schneider? You want Walter voiced by Rob Schneider? *shudder*
And Maria. That could work. Opens up the chance of a spin-off series. Walter & Maria.

Steve Green

Quote from: SIP on 18 May, 2017, 03:09:05 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 18 May, 2017, 03:04:49 PM
I have a box set of s5 of TWD sat on the shelf, lasted about one episode.

GOT has enough fun, and the thought that it's a finite story which keeps me engaged.

Walking Dead, with exception of the most recent series which fell a little flat, has pretty much been some of my favourite TV. Like it or not, you can't deny it's success and appeal to a large audience.

For me it's become a boring miserython, biding time waiting for character deaths or finding new ways to mutilate/torture them. Worked OK for a couple of seasons, too fucking depressing long-term for me.

I'd argue the same about comic Dredd, and the 2012 movie - it can't be permanently DoC doom. Fall of Deadworld gets a pass because it's new, and out and out weird, and not just a psycho with a baseball bat.

But hey, if it works for you... the world's depressing enough without spending 13 hours to have fantasy depression as a replacement.

I'd like a bit of fun with my escapism.

SIP

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 May, 2017, 03:57:56 PM

GOT has enough fun, and the thought that it's a finite story which keeps me engaged.

Walking Dead, with exception of the most recent series which fell a little flat, has pretty much been some of my favourite TV. Like it or not, you can't deny it's success and appeal to a large audience.

For me it's become a boring miserython, biding time waiting for character deaths or finding new ways to mutilate/torture them. Worked OK for a couple of seasons, too fucking depressing long-term for me.

I'd argue the same about comic Dredd, and the 2012 movie - it can't be permanently DoC doom. Fall of Deadworld gets a pass because it's new, and out and out weird, and not just a psycho with a baseball bat.

But hey, if it works for you... the world's depressing enough without spending 13 hours to have fantasy depression as a replacement.

It does work for me, and clearly does so for a global audience!

I'm just arguing how I think you could make the series have more viewer appeal. Walking dead has been a massive success. I'm arguing a slow build approach that gains a stable viewer base allowing the inclusion of the more fantastical elements later on when you have hooked viewers. Walking dead has done this very successfully and has achieved a large female audience to boot.

Surely we all want a success here so that we can see further series. Dredd 2012 was hardly a barrell of laughs and I had thought (until recent discussions) that we all, pretty much universally, loved that film?

von Boom

This is what I hope for as well. I find this trend to darker and darker stories a bit oppressive. I love the 2012 film, but there were some very dry moments of humour. I would like to see that taken a bit further with the series to capture the lighter tones of the comic as well.

Steve Green

M.I.K.

For me it's become a boring miserython

For me, it started off as that, which is why I've only ever watched two full episodes.

Dreary soap opera guff. It might as well be Eastenders.

Hawkmumbler

Tiplodocus

Stick too closely to the 2012 template and it wouldn't look too different from lots of other things on TV.

I think we have an opportunity here to have something the likes of which has never been tried on TV.

I know which I'd prefer.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Andy Lambert

Quote from: SIP on 18 May, 2017, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 18 May, 2017, 01:27:30 PM
Quote from: Andy Lambert on 18 May, 2017, 01:11:52 PM
Nah, sorry - I'm one of those that want to see the muties, robots, Dark Judges and things that go bump in the night. They're as much a part of Dredd's history as the police procedurals and we shouldn't feel embarrassed by them.

Hallelujah! My Mega-City One is a place of fatties, aliens, talking gorillas, sensitive kleggs, uglies, simps, and buisness men with shark heads.

I just think it would all turnoff the wider audience. It is all part of Dredd history, but the hard-core Dredd fans will not be enough viewers to ensure a series is successful. You have to sell this to a wider audience. Sensitive Kleggs and Walter might endanger that. Ground this in the core material first, much like the film did, then expand if the series succeeds.

Have you considered the possibility that some of the more outlandish aspects of Judge Dredd might appeal and pull in an audience rather than push them away? How will we know if they're for or against it if you deny them a chance to experience it?
The 2012 was brilliant, but it displays a tiny portion of life in and around Mega-City 1. By limiting Judge Dredd's potential for fear of alienating an audience, you're not getting proper Dredd. You're getting Dredd-Lite.
If the series does turn out to be a futuristic crime drama, I'd be sorely disappointed and frustrated.
Just my tuppence worth...

von Boom

Quote from: M.I.K. on 18 May, 2017, 04:21:04 PM

For me it's become a boring miserython

For me, it started off as that, which is why I've only ever watched two full episodes.

Dreary soap opera guff. It might as well be Eastenders.

Ooooh, snap!

SIP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 18 May, 2017, 05:20:41 PM
Stick too closely to the 2012 template and it wouldn't look too different from lots of other things on TV.

I think we have an opportunity here to have something the likes of which has never been tried on TV.

I know which I'd prefer.

Yes, but that is also an opportunity to sink Dredd without a trace from TV screens for the foreseeable future. It'll be interesting to see if you are right when it comes to getting a network on board. "Let's try something new" versus "let's build on that thing that everyone really liked (eventually) and wants to see more of".

As for a tv audience enjoying a different take on Dredd, people are seriously misconstruing my comments.
To clarify: Dredd was a sleeper hit that generated such momentum that people have poured support into making its sequel. Perhaps I'm being presumptuous, but surely it has been that relentless support that has helped to drive this project forward?

Surely it stands to reason that all those people who have supported the campaign for Dredd 2 now actually want to see something in the style of "Dredd". Changing the nature of the beast entirely would appear to be an odd and potentially suicidal choice.

I'm expecting the other 150,000 + Dredd 2 petition signers to turn up any minute and help me out..........any minute now.......all those people who battered the "dredd" thread religiously......where are you??

Anyway, I'm bowing out of the debate at this point as I seem to be very much in the minority here (to my surprise). When you are the only person crying out for something, perhaps you need to realise when to give it a rest :-)

ZenArcade

SIP you haven't put a foot wrong in this thread and. I admire and support your views in your posting. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Rusty

It's all about tone. Including some of the more zany, or supernatural, elements of the comic in a gritty, grounded approach a'la 2012 Dredd would be fine. After all, we had Anderson and her mind reading abilities in that film, along with a very over the top drug. You could see humour working in that world as well as any, again, if the tone is right. I mean, if it worked for Dirty Harry...

If you look at how Marvel has handled stuff like Daredevil on Netflix, I think there's a lesson to be taken from their way of doing things. Like the scene from the first X-Men film where Wolverine first puts on the X-Men uniform and says "You actually go out in these things?" to which Cyclops sarcastically replies "What would you prefer? Yellow Spandex?" Humor, with a nod to the original comic aesthetic as a joke. It works for the screen and the audience who know.

Pete Wells

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 18 May, 2017, 03:11:53 PM
Reading the differing opinions on this thread it is evident that there is no 'fan consensus', which is just as well.

Having said that (sorry Mr Wells) only one thing (well, two) will make this series appeal to a wider audience.

"Judge Dwedd, my hewo!"

MY EYES!!!!!

My tuppenceworth. The beauty of the long form TV series, and hopefully one hour episodes, is the many arcs going on. So, while Anderson is investigating a genuinely chilling and grisly set of supernatural murders, Giant can be knee deep in an innovative, imaginative tek crime while Dredd is begrudgingly protecting an hilarious Sensitive Klegg. It can work so many levels if it's written well enough.

The only thing that won't work, is Walter the Wobot and that is because Pete Wells fucking hates him.