Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Thanks for posting Steve!

While I'm glad that the city will be the main character, and it won't be just about Dredd, I was a bit worried he would be mostly sidelined, with just a couple of appearances here and there.

That interview is promising, though, suggesting they'll have a good balance.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 July, 2017, 03:16:49 PM
Thanks for posting Steve!

While I'm glad that the city will be the main character, and it won't be just about Dredd, I was a bit worried he would be mostly sidelined, with just a couple of appearances here and there.

That interview is promising, though, suggesting they'll have a good balance.

I was concerned about this too, until it occurred to me that a lot of my favourite Dredd stories hardly feature the man himself.

The old 80s formula of following a crazy cit going about their ill fated business with Dredd showing up when it's all gone tits up to cube everyone could work on TV. Almost like an anthology format of future wackiness. With added long form plot strings woven in throughout of course.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Steve Green

Yeah there are plenty like that.

I'm curious as to whether (and how) they'd handle the clone side of things.

Would having a younger version of Dredd in the form of Rico MK2 just crowd things?

I really loved the Sector House story with the new recruit coming in and getting people's backs up.

It would be cool to see a Minty type story, not necessarily Minty/Dredd but an older mentor judge going soft and the new one coming in and basically bringing about his downfall, and the fallout from that.

We've had similar to that in later strips.

I'd love to see an H-wagon down episode - important perp, shot down and crashed in hostile territory, the outside world viewed through vid screens. Something claustrophobic. Shanty Town meets Assault on Precinct 13.

Also the sort of set that could be re-used.

The Legendary Shark

Maybe clones, like twins, don't have to be identical...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

DaveGYNWA

*stands up in cinema and exclaims "That was a load of f***ing sh**e!!"*

Sorry....flashbacks.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Richard

QuoteWould having a younger version of Dredd in the form of Rico MK2 just crowd things?

Yes it would. There's no need for it, and you can still have a Sector House-style story about an annoying young rookie who isn't related to Dredd.

I think it's absolutely fine to have some episodes where Dredd is only in one or two scenes. It gives supporting characters a chance to shine. Not every Star Trek:Next Gen story was about Picard and not every Buffy was about Buffy.

Adding to the list of things I'd like to see: bite fights!

sheridan

With that latest interview I think we've got just enough material to do a proper Wikipedia article...

JLC

Focusing on cadets would be a good way for viewers new to the world of Mega City 1

Richard

I don't agree with that; cadets are cooped up in the Academy most of the time. Focusing on the citizens would be the best way of showing us the city.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 11 July, 2017, 10:05:23 PM
I don't agree with that; cadets are cooped up in the Academy most of the time. Focusing on the citizens would be the best way of showing us the city.
I've always got Gotham (the TV series) in my head - based around the precinct, but we get to see the underworld, plus Bruce and Selina's lives.  Rather than full-on Academy, perhaps there could be final year cadets assigned to a Sector House, doing assignments, going on hot dog runs, etc? 

Though saying that, I don't like the Cursed Earth appearing too early in works based on JD - witness the 1995 film and IDW's forays.  It's basically taking one of the best characters (MC1) and ditching it for half an hour.

JLC

Quote from: sheridan on 11 July, 2017, 10:30:23 PM
Quote from: Richard on 11 July, 2017, 10:05:23 PM
I've always got Gotham (the TV series) in my head - based around the precinct, but we get to see the underworld, plus Bruce and Selina's lives.  Rather than full-on Academy, perhaps there could be final year cadets assigned to a Sector House, doing assignments, going on hot dog runs, etc? 

Though saying that, I don't like the Cursed Earth appearing too early in works based on JD - witness the 1995 film and IDW's forays.  It's basically taking one of the best characters (MC1) and ditching it for half an hour.
Yes, that's what I meant (& should have said). Cadets fresh out of the academy on their first assignment.