Main Menu

Doctor Who (13th Doctor)

Started by JamesC, 09 November, 2017, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

‪I honestly don't know why everyone seems to be so sniffy about this series...I'm really enjoying it.

Yes, you can criticise it for everything that's been 'wrong' (transl: different) since the series came back, but if you haven't made your peace with that by now...‬
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Leigh S

I thought this weeks continued an upward trend - the idea of [spoiler]another Doctor[/spoiler] is one I've always thought was long overdue, and the mystery of how this all works is decent, though [spoiler]it's hard to tell if the more violent past(?) Doctor is deliberately off model[/spoiler] 

Having [spoiler]Captain Jack [/spoiler] back was also fun, though as my wife commented on having wandered in for a short bit of the running time - "there's a LOT of exposition in this isn't there?"

Time will tell if "Everything you know is a lie" turns out more John Byrne than Alan Moore, but let's hope for a decent resolution

shaolin_monkey

I thought that was great fun. Nice surprises, twists, and a great puzzle to solve in future episodes.

Steve Green

[spoiler]I'm not sure if the mirror was too much of a tip - I definitely twigged there was something time-lordy going on with the shape, even though the specifics were still a surprise.[/spoiler]

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: pauljholden on 26 January, 2020, 08:35:15 PM

One weird thing, I think is, you never get a true sense of how big those tardis interiors are - I suspect it's because the camera is always going to mid/close up shots, so it's rare you get to see a whole human being in context of being inside the tardis. (Mind you I might be wrong, and I'm just being daft)

-PJ

I've always thought the writers have been missing a trick with that.  The interior of the TARDIS is supposed to be VAST, and this was riffed on slightly in the Baker era if I remember correctly, where people got lost in the passageways and rooms off from the main control room. There's even a secondary control room somewhere.

You could base a whole story around that, or at least be a bit more playful with it occasionally in some episodes.

Steve Green

shaolin_monkey

DrRocka

Really enjoyed this weeks' episode. Most enjoyable season since Tennant left, for me.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Colin YNWA

Well it might have taken a while to get there but that was worth the wait.

Superb, such a turn around. Even when I was like oh no what's this Jack Harkness thing they've thrown into the mix it was used superbly. Its also solid gold evidence that if you give this cast something worth doing they will do it well. The absolute highlight was Jodie Whitaker finally having something to really show herself at her very, very best. She was simply magnificent. I've enjoyed her as the Doctor to date, but here she was at another level. Add to that her relationship with... herself ... was just fantastically done. If was electric, Jo Martin was brilliant.

Add to that Graham at full pelt and the others on good form. The Judoon looked great and the ideas - while hurled at us at quite the rate, as there was no need to wrap them up are left to breathe and fester and be magnificent.

Well done all involved and thank you! The first season had some good episodes but this the first one to realise the potential this cast has created.

Now the trick is of course the set up is the easy part. How they land this, that is what the real challenge of this season will be and we'll judge it on how they bring all these wonderful strands together.

Kids loved it. Boy child simply said...

"That was confusing"
"Oh so you didn't like it"
"Oh it was great, it was good confusing, I need to know ..."

List of all the things he was meant to be confused about.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Easily the best of the series, and perhaps of JW's run. But, good grief, the inconsistency so far!

Mrs IP remarked that Barrowman "isn't doing a good Jack Harkness", which was an amusing thought. Also, this messes with Who lore but in a good way (Interesting! Weird! Mysterious!), unlike ep 3's lazy alternative timelines cop-out.

M.I.K.

Kind of got me wondering [spoiler]where this previously unseen Doctor fits into the chronology of the series. If it's inbetween regenerations we know about, then she can only really fit between "Two" and "Three", (which means Three was re-dressed in Two's clothes after having his memories wiped of any intervening regenerations).

If she's supposed to have existed before "One", then why is her TARDIS a Police Box?

Of course, there's always the possibility she's from an alternative timeline...[/spoiler]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 January, 2020, 08:22:40 PM
Kids loved it. Boy child simply said...

"That was confusing"
"Oh so you didn't like it"
"Oh it was great, it was good confusing, I need to know ..."

I never bought the argument that kids were turned off by the complicated timey-wimey plotlines.

This was the best of JW's doctor by a long margin - it felt like we got through a lot of stuff in the same running time, good action, some great lines and intriguing plotlines to follow up. Promising.

Tiplodocus

There is the old quote that you have to make Doctor Who complicated enough for the kids but simple enough for the adults.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

abelardsnazz

[spoiler]We never saw who the War Doctor regenerated into. Steven Moffat upended Russell T Davies' continuity, so it could happen again. [/spoiler]