Main Menu

New Rogue Trooper Film!!

Started by Beeks, 15 July, 2018, 06:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

They're making a Venus Bluegenes movie too?  Brilliant!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 21 July, 2018, 11:01:26 AM
I think if he was wearing a gilet that would look ok.

Overall I am not sure that many changes to the uniform are needed. He has fairly regulation army  trousers, boots and helmet (biochip slot apart) anyway, so he looks pretty much like the soldiers in a load of war films. Apart from being blue, which is  the one thing I assume they won't change given Jason Kingsley's comments about that being a red line.

Blue characters would never work in a film - just look at Avatar, The Smurfs (and Smurfs 2), Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men...

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 24 July, 2018, 11:47:53 AM
They're making a Venus Bluegenes movie too?  Brilliant!
Was that in response to the comment about lead characters spending the film topless?

Mardroid

Assuming the GIs' blue skin is meant to aid in camouflage, it actually make sense that they WOULD have a lot of skin showing, I'd think. Otherwise just give them camouflage gear. Okay, I suppose the change in colour could also be to differentiate them from the regular Souther troops too...

Disclaimer: This comment is not meant in reference to Venus Bluegenes. Honest.

Frank

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 July, 2018, 04:25:04 PM
Assuming the GIs' blue skin is meant to aid in camouflage ...

It would only really work in one specific circumstance, where the enemy was the right height and distance from Rogue Trooper that the belt line of his green leggings appeared perfectly in line with the horizon - and the Norts would wonder why a talking turtle was floating towards them at head height* - but any measure that gives the GI an edge on his opponent is invaluable.

Rogue Trooper, yesterday

* Rogue would need to keep his eyes shut, too, and hide Gunnar behind his back.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 July, 2018, 04:25:04 PM
Assuming the GIs' blue skin is meant to aid in camouflage, it actually make sense that they WOULD have a lot of skin showing, I'd think. Otherwise just give them camouflage gear.

Or give GIs a reptilian gene that allows their ash-blue/intermediate coloured skin to blend in with tanks, rubble, and other assorted war zone landscapes – not the Predator style bending-of-light effect, of course.

Mardroid

It's not the best camouflage, true, but I can see it working at  night, or in an environment where lots of Shadows are fast.
I tend to visualise the GI skin as dark blue, although it's sometimes depicted lighter. Dark blue should work pretty well there.

Mind you, that's not saying much. Dark clothing and a bit of face paint for lighter skinned types would work just as well.

Link Prime

3 words for the FX team; Blue Chem Clouds.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Yeah dark blue could be pretty good camo at night for sure. Is there a canon reason for it being blue? I always thought him being blue was just an unfortunate side-effect of the genetic engineering to be able to process toxins and whatnot.

Tjm86

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 July, 2018, 05:09:58 PM
3 words for the FX team; Blue Chem Clouds.

Isn't that Orbital's next single?

Frank

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 24 July, 2018, 06:04:13 PM
Yeah dark blue could be pretty good camo at night

If that was the reason, black would make more sense. And neither would be good camouflage in daylight, which (presumably) accounts for most of the available fighting time on Nu Earth, as it does on Old Earth.

Let's hear from someone who actually knows what they're talking about (from the 2000ad panel at San Diego):

Gibbons always intended Rogue's skin to have scales, and his color was meant to be translucent, shimmering like a snake in the light. He also wanted to explore the idea that Rogue could regenerate wounds. Arms could grow back.

He gives a very moving and powerful deconstruction of the strip's concept; how the 'Kung Fu' TV show and Alfred Bester's 'The Stars My Destination' were huge influences on Rogue and his quest for vengeance.

We're reminded that Rogue's just a squaddie; a grunt born to kill but jaded by war. By the end, Gibbons has sold everyone on how large the myth of the last of the Genetic Infantrymen could and should be in a movie.

Didn't know we came VERY close to a Rogue movie before, with Vin Diesel. (Would that have been the one Grant Morrison was supposedly working on...?) That it fell apart because the movie company didn't want to paint Diesel blue*.

* Confirmed by Jason Kingsley at the 40th: https://youtu.be/nrvmYb161i4?t=29m4s

JOE SOAP

The original Rogue Trooper pitch:

GrudgeJohnDeed

Cheers for the info! So it is just a side-effect right? It doesn't serve any function?

Frank

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 24 July, 2018, 01:13:37 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 21 July, 2018, 11:01:26 AM
I think if he was wearing a gilet that would look ok.

Overall I am not sure that many changes to the uniform are needed. He has fairly regulation army  trousers, boots and helmet (biochip slot apart) anyway, so he looks pretty much like the soldiers in a load of war films. Apart from being blue, which is  the one thing I assume they won't change given Jason Kingsley's comments about that being a red line.

Blue characters would never work in a film - just look at Avatar, The Smurfs (and Smurfs 2), Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men...

I don't mind him being blue; in fact as Jason Kingsley said it is a requirement. I just think If changes were to be made (and that was the question I was responding to), then a gilet seems like a fairly innocuous change.