Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

The blustering and bumbling act won't cut it now.

I would hope that those "fortunate" enough to get near him to ask questions don't lob snowballs, but hammer him with a sledgehammer.

IndigoPrime

Borders are a big issue. My parents were due back from Spain in a couple of weeks. They've decided to fly home this weekend instead, in part because they don't want to be stuck there. And they have an apartment. It'd be far worse in a tiny hotel room, potentially not being able to come home for days or even weeks.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

You know, I've been thinking about Tordel's comment about reading too much SF.  This is the bit that completely baffles me, fiction writers have gamed out pretty much every scenario going for an apocalyptic epidemic.  The common transmission factor is always international travel.  I'd bet that most governments around the world have war-gamed bio-warfare at one time or another, probably including such moves.

That being the case then, WHY THE HELL DID THEY KEEP LETTING PEOPLE TRAVEL?  Seriously.  The human race does not deserve to keep going!

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 March, 2020, 04:48:22 PM
Borders are a big issue. My parents were due back from Spain in a couple of weeks. They've decided to fly home this weekend instead, in part because they don't want to be stuck there. And they have an apartment. It'd be far worse in a tiny hotel room, potentially not being able to come home for days or even weeks.

I feel for them, IP. I have an international crew working with me, my wife has a US intern - they're all trying to judge when/if it's best to run for home. Very strange atmosphere.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 March, 2020, 06:28:51 PM
WHY THE HELL DID THEY KEEP LETTING PEOPLE TRAVEL?

Not to be too cheeky but that quote in US politics springs to mind: "It's the economy, stupid!"

(I don't think you're stupid, by the way. I think there's a strong dichotomy between stopping the virus and keeping the economy chundering along. Supply chains - the survivors will need those.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 March, 2020, 06:50:36 PMI feel for them, IP. I have an international crew working with me, my wife has a US intern - they're all trying to judge when/if it's best to run for home. Very strange atmosphere.
Where they are just got notified that the entire region is basically shutting down all municipal buildings, banning markets, and attempting to limit groups to under 30. This wouldn't have massively affected them, but my dad doesn't want to be "stuck" out there without medication (he has enough for three more weeks), and the next step will clearly be airports. I hope that won't be the case before Saturday.

Good luck for your crew and wife's intern. Right now, I don't think there are any right answers – just various levels of risk.

Funt Solo

The story of Gussison, Colorado, and how it delayed the spanish flu epidemic of 1918.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: paddykafka on 12 March, 2020, 03:31:21 PM
Glad to hear that your colleague's illness wasn't as bad as you feared, Jayzus. Checked to see why you didn't get my reply to your PM and realised that I failed to spot the "Do Not Reply to this email" notice. Doh! Will send you a PM soon.

Cheers Paddy! Also, yeah, it's a big relief that my colleague isn't infected. I'm not too scared of getting the virus myself, but really don't fancy the idea of being a walking hazard to vulnerable people.

I'm lucky to have a second job that doesnt generally involve contact with the public.  I'll be using this time to catch up on the painting projects that I'd assured clients  would be done within a few weeks, some time in late December.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Cyberleader2000

Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 March, 2020, 11:07:07 AM
Quote from: Cyberleader2000 on 11 March, 2020, 12:49:22 PM
so I live in Tewkesbury ... ~I need to go out today to a meeting and have to take a bus or a 50 minute walk since the bus I need to take passes through Cheltenham,

Buses running then are they?  Considering the weather I'd have thought a boat would have been better?  We moved out about 30 years ago (bugger, that long ago! Paper round from Smiths .... Making fishing tackle at Ryobi Masterline ... ) and flooding was bad enough then.  Now some lunatic has built a supermarket and massive housing estate on the fields that were flooded every year and people are surprised to find their homes regularly flooding?  That's got to do wonders for the health of local residents!

funny you say that tewkesbury was flooded for 2 weeks about 3 weeks ago.
in worring news the wife of a friends work college is getting tested today i hang out with this friend most day in the week since he moved in a few roads over from me and he works in a bakearey one that is well know to the staff and friends of staff at haveing apaling health standereds and work pratices.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

shaolin_monkey

A bit of light relief amidst this madness - Twitter is on fire today. We didn't start it though.

shaolin_monkey

So, let's see if I have this right:

- No money for healthcare

- $1.5 trillion to keep the rich rich

Is that how it appears to you too?

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/fed-repo-trillions-added-to-fight-coronavirus-economic-risk-recession-2020-3-1028991278

paddykafka

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 March, 2020, 10:28:13 AM
A bit of light relief amidst this madness - Twitter is on fire today. We didn't start it though.

At a time like this, the link below certainly brought a much needed smile to my face.

https://www.facebook.com/LivingDublinAltogether/photos/a.410783018934550/3179253705420787/?type=3&theater

shaolin_monkey

IndigoPrime

Of course, we can now all stalk you on Twitter, shaolin_monkey.