Main Menu

Pub Quiz Questions

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 April, 2020, 07:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So I was victroious in the BMOD Arms pub quiz last night (more luck than judgement) and the prize for winning is to write the next quiz.

So I look to the Hive mind for interesting pub quiz questions - have quite a few ideas and alas my friends have limited me to 1 question on comics - that will take some deciding - so yeah in these times of virtual pub quizzes what should I be asking folks?

Dandontdare

ooh good one. Any particular subjects and what difficulty level - if it was on TV, are we talking The Chase or Only Connect?

Colin YNWA

Well based on last nights efforts (I won with 14/21!) my good friend Martin got that wrong so I'd say down from Only Connect BUT up from The Chase.... not Eggheads. Maybe 15 to 1?

Oh and there was a big call for music from Jeff as well. I'm after a good mix and was thinking of introducing a picture round.

paddykafka

A couple of ones that come to mind (although how difficult or not they might be, would depend on your fellow quiz-goers knowledge of comics)

What year was the British comic 2000AD first published?

In what issue of 2000AD did the character of Judge Dredd first appear?

Who were Judge Dredd's co-creators?

Well, ye get the idea.

Also, just a suggestion for a non-comic related question: What is the origin of the word "Quiz"?

As you'll see from the link below, there are four possible explanations, so maybe you could set it up as a trick question?

(I know - I am an evil, evil little man, lol).

https://www.lexico.com/explore/what-is-the-origin-of-the-word-quiz

Eamonn Clarke

Who is the odd one out, and why?

I've got a whole film round of these.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: paddykafka on 18 April, 2020, 10:35:17 AM

Also, just a suggestion for a non-comic related question: What is the origin of the word "Quiz"?

Oh I like that one - though I suspect its a bit hard for my lot!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 18 April, 2020, 11:25:16 AM
Who is the odd one out, and why?

Is it Simon Pegg as he hasn't directed a Star Trek think... did William Shatner direct something? I'm pretty sure Nimoy and Frakes did...

Greg M.

They all directed and starred in the movie mentioned, apart from Pegg, who just co-wrote it (and appeared in it.)

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Greg M. on 18 April, 2020, 11:58:30 AM
They all directed and starred in the movie mentioned, apart from Pegg, who just co-wrote it (and appeared in it.)

A pink piece of the pie for Greg. Well done, sir.

Richard

If you're going to use pictures, it's best to find a picture that just has the relevant person in it.

Dandontdare

In the film 24 Hour Party People, many old stars made cameos in incidental roles, but only one artist actually played themself - who?
A: [spoiler]Rowetta of the Happy Mondays[/spoiler]

Music links - what connects the following (best with clips):
(Anything by) T'Pau, Duran Duran and Moloko (A: [spoiler]all named after sci-fi TV or movies - Star Trek, Barbarella and Clockwork Orange[/spoiler])
(Anything by) Motorhead, Noel Gallagher and 2pac Shakur (A: [spoiler]All started out as roadies - for Jimi Hendrix, The Inspiral Carpets and Digital Underground[/spoiler])

I once did a successful music round with duets - name the song and both artists. Can't remember them all, but could include Bowie & Bing Crosby; Time Zone by Time Zone (Afrika Bambaata & John Lydon - very obscure (and awesome) song but one very recognizable voice) and many others. If I was doing it today, I'd also definitely include an audio clip of THIS

If I can find my old notebook, I've got some good ones.

Colin YNWA

Oh there are some good one's there Phil. Thanks. Couple I will defo be using...

Eamonn Clarke

OK here's one with just one person per picture.

And the answer is not that Ian Holm is the only one covered in alien space porridge.

Eamonn Clarke

This one breaks the one person rule but the clue is in the caption...

TordelBack

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke
And the answer is not that Ian Holm is the only one covered in alien space porridge.

Miles (Woody Allen) is the odd one out - the others are robots made to look like humans.