Main Menu

Pub Quiz Questions

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 April, 2020, 07:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Not that great a coincidence. Besides having a reasonable explanation from Arthur C Clarke, where is the motive? Great publicity, for that corporation you 'dislike'...

Reminds me of the assertion that John Constantine was Jesus Christ (or relates in some way that... oh I don't care). J C, stands to reason. Yawn!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Richard on 20 April, 2020, 12:27:05 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000#Origin_of_name

Thanks!

QuoteHAL's name, according to writer Arthur C. Clarke, is derived from Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer.[6]:78 After the film was released, fans noticed HAL was a one-letter shift from the name IBM and there has been much speculation since then that this was a dig at the large computer company,[23] something that has been denied by both Clarke and 2001 director Stanley Kubrick.[1] Clarke addressed the issue in his book The Lost Worlds of 2001:

'...about once a week some character spots the fact that HAL is one letter ahead of IBM, and promptly assumes that Stanley and I were taking a crack at the estimable institution ... As it happened, IBM had given us a good deal of help, so we were quite embarrassed by this, and would have changed the name had we spotted the coincidence.'[6]:78

Fair enough then.  Every day is a learning day!

Funt Solo

An actor was deliberately fed only food he disliked in order to irritate him for the role. Who was the actor, what was the food, and which role was it?

[spoiler]Jack Nicholson, cheese sandwiches, Jack Torrance.[/spoiler]

---

In the French and Saunders Titanic parody, what name is given to the director?

[spoiler]James Macaroon[/spoiler]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 April, 2020, 05:01:01 AM
In the French and Saunders Titanic parody, what name is given to the director?

[spoiler]James Macaroon[/spoiler]

:lol:

sheridan

What connects Viggo Mortensen film A History of Violence with British comic character Judge Dredd?
(John Wagner created both).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 20 April, 2020, 12:15:46 PM

What connects Viggo Mortensen film A History of Violence with British comic character Judge Dredd?
(John Wagner created both).

Ha! Great minds - already got that one in - added 'Bogey Man' telly show and Star Wars Shadow of the Empre' vidoe game in for good meassure.

The Doctor Alt 8

If you are doing a picture round you can always have a round of identify the trade marks....

You can theme them to specific subjects....

Or if you want to be fiendish taking photos of parts ordinary objects from unusual angles is a good one.

sheridan

You could have a hidden messages in trademarks round?

Which three words does 'durex' stand for? [spoiler]durable, reliable, excellence[/spoiler]

subliminal messages in logos
examples

Additionally - which chocolate bar has a secret bear in a mountain in its logo? [spoiler]Toblerone[/spoiler]

Dandontdare

you've probably done the quiz by now but I just remembered one of my favourites:

Q: What took place in Britain between the 3rd and 13th of September 1752?
A: [spoiler]absolutely nothing as these dates don't exist - they were skipped when we changed from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar. Trivia follow up - England took a lot longer longer than most of Europe, but Russia didn't switch until 1918 and Greece until 1923 - by which time they had to lose 13 days rather than 11 to catch up.[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 April, 2020, 10:39:20 AM
you've probably done the quiz by now but I just remembered one of my favourites:

Q: What took place in Britain between the 3rd and 13th of September 1752?
A: [spoiler]absolutely nothing as these dates don't exist - they were skipped when we changed from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar. Trivia follow up - England took a lot longer longer than most of Europe, but Russia didn't switch until 1918 and Greece until 1923 - by which time they had to lose 13 days rather than 11 to catch up.[/spoiler]

Yeah the quiz took place and was... too hard... I thought I'd make it work.

I say keep these coming as they are great and given how long this will roll on, I might be back anyway. This one is brilliant - I didn't have a clue but its a great fact!

DaveGYNWA

Gerard Kenny is one of the co-writers of the song "I could be so good for you", also known as the theme tune for Minder. What is the first name of the other co-writer, whose surname is 'Waterman'?

[spoiler]Patricia - Dennis didn't write feem tune, he only sang the feem tune[/spoiler]

Which country has won the most Olympic Gold medals for baseball?

[spoiler]Cuba[/spoiler]

With which country does France have its longest continuous land border?

[spoiler]Brazil - Mainland France's longest border is with Spain, at 408 miles, but French Guiana, a French overseas territory, has a border with Brazil measuring 450 miles[/spoiler]
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

TordelBack

Oooh Dave, those are fiendish in their intricacies! Like! These are the sort of questions that get one banned from setting questions in future (result!).  Years ago I helped set up a big fundraising quiz night with a good mate, and we passed several happy evenings laughing ourselves silly at the one 'tricky' question we'd put into each themed round of 10- a sort of a tiebreaker, we reckoned, since almost everyone would be getting the other 9 right, so piss-easy were they. 

Reader, if we'd brought our own tar, feathers and a rail we'd have provided a lot more entertainment than we did that night.  Never underestimate the gulf between setting and answering questions.

JayzusB.Christ

The school where I work (online now, on much reduced hours) ran a Zoom pub quiz last night for our students (we teachers participated for fun, but weren't counted as contestants).  Loads of fun, I must say, and I woke up with a thumping hangover which just shows I had a good night.

Dave and DDD, much as I love your outside-the-box questions, you'd be hunted down and crucified for setting them at a real pub quiz  ;)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"