Main Menu

Qualifying 1- David Stone or Andy Diggle - Ultimate Not Wagner Tournament

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 May, 2020, 06:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Have to go with Dave Stone, mainly because I prefer Armitage to Lenny Zero - although mind you the latest installments of both strips were a let-down.

I have great time for Diggle's editorial contributions, and his extensive non-2000AD work, but if it's specifically writing for the Prog/Meg we're considering here? Stone is my choice.

Richard

IndigoPrime

Interesting point with TordelBack. If it's about influence, Diggle would win hands down; but it's not — this is about writing. On that basis, it's Incubus (so-so) and Lenny Zero vs a ton of Brit-City worldbuilding (that Wagner sadly duly ignored pretty much entirely).

Lenny Zero and Armitage were both really uneven, blasting out of the gate and then going off the boil. I would be conflicted, but I'm afraid the 'rape smoke' bit in Lenny Zero totally soured that series for me, and so I'm going with Dave Stone.

Dandontdare

Leigh S

Exactly this for me too - I'm not overly enamoured of Armitage's Brit-Cit, but at least you can argue it follows Dredd template of blowing up the cliches and tropes of their particular country.  Diggle would have been my choice if it wasnt for the very dodgy Lenny Zero tale IP refers to there. 

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 May, 2020, 01:07:26 PM
Interesting point with TordelBack. If it's about influence, Diggle would win hands down; but it's not — this is about writing. On that basis, it's Incubus (so-so) and Lenny Zero vs a ton of Brit-City worldbuilding (that Wagner sadly duly ignored pretty much entirely).

Lenny Zero and Armitage were both really uneven, blasting out of the gate and then going off the boil. I would be conflicted, but I'm afraid the 'rape smoke' bit in Lenny Zero totally soured that series for me, and so I'm going with Dave Stone.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

AlexF

If I've still time to vote, I'm going STONE.

Diggle is clearly the more accomplished and dare I say it competent writer, but most of his 2000AD work was him practising, frankly - his US work is way better. Dave Stone has many irritating ticks but I can't deny that Armitage, Steel and even top dick Supervisor Judge Warner (and his bowl cut) have burned their ways into my brain in ways that Snow/Tiger and even Lenny Zero have not. And Diggle would never try anything as balls-out weird as Soul Sisters, even if it is legitimately a contender for worst-written strip ever.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 07 May, 2020, 08:35:26 AM

Yep still time to vote I'm giving these 7 days each, my theory being casual passers by may come once a week and I wanted to give as many people as possible a chance to vote, especially in these early rounds. One of the things I will be asking folks for the later rounds is 7 days too long and should I tighten things to keep thing moving a little faster?

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 May, 2020, 09:06:59 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 07 May, 2020, 08:35:26 AM

Yep still time to vote I'm giving these 7 days each, my theory being casual passers by may come once a week and I wanted to give as many people as possible a chance to vote, especially in these early rounds. One of the things I will be asking folks for the later rounds is 7 days too long and should I tighten things to keep thing moving a little faster?

Enjoying these thanks Colin, fun to rummage around in some of the more obscure corners of Tooth. As for voting for later rounds, maybe a 2-3 day window?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 07 May, 2020, 09:14:46 AM
As for voting for later rounds, maybe a 2-3 day window?

Bingo - that's exactly what I was thinking - I was going to go 3 days, but ask folks. Great minds - double deckered or not think a like!

JayzusB.Christ

I like Diggle a lot, but it's Stone for me.  I love his weird, sleazy Brit Cit.   Deathmasques was the only one of those Virgin Dredd novels I ever read, but it made me realise that Dave had a mind-bogglingly intricate vision of Brit Cit that was very far from the usual 'MC1 with different accents' trope.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Looking forward to this post - I'm ringing the bell on this face off. Just 24 hours(ish) before to go before I start to tote up totals and reveal whose made it through to the next round.

If you want to vote do it NOW, NOW, NOW!!!

Colin YNWA

Wow well what a start this face off gave us. Bloomin' heck I wish I could do a horse racing commentary. It started seeming close but when I did a count relatively early Diggle was actually romping it. So I took my eye of the ball, though did start to notice David Stone coming up on the outside.

Well I've had to count this about 878798 times to check and then double check AND I'm happy to get this verified if anyone fancies counting as thanks to JayzusB.Christ reserrection to the board David Stone had a last mi nute surge and CROSSED THE LINE LEVEL.

Yes its a tie. I have my count as

Andy Diggle 11 David Stone 11!

So the rules start that in the event of a tie I'll take a casting vote. Wow... okay... wasn't expecting that. I'm going to leave the tension in the air a little longer so anyone who wants to check my count can and so I can do one final recount later.

GREAT START FOLKS!

abelardsnazz

I got the same scores as you Colin, and wondered how it would be decided. Great stuff.

I, Cosh

Andy Diggle for me.

Neither is an especially great writer but while Diggle does have a relatively small body of work, I've always found Armitage relentlessly boring in a way Lenny Zero isn't.
We never really die.